Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Dinan vs GAS Monoballs

02-05-2022, 05:32 PM   #1
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Dinan vs GAS Monoballs

Just as the title states I am curious to know who has a superior product and why. I'm not concerned about the cost difference between the two, just want to know which product is superior, if one can be more superior to the other considering they are fairly close in design.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

I'm sure they are both very comparable since they are both fully sealed units. I can't imagine that there would be a significant difference between manufacturing and design.

Currently waiting on my G20 to arrive and suspension upgrades will be the first modifications. Does GAS offer pre-installed units? I was going to go with VAC on my F30, but never got around to it. They offered new control arms with pre-installed monoballs at a decent price. If they don't have anything available, I'm probably going the Dinan route with their lowering springs and bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedTo///M View Post
I'm sure they are both very comparable since they are both fully sealed units. I can't imagine that there would be a significant difference between manufacturing and design.

Currently waiting on my G20 to arrive and suspension upgrades will be the first modifications. Does GAS offer pre-installed units? I was going to go with VAC on my F30, but never got around to it. They offered new control arms with pre-installed monoballs at a decent price. If they don't have anything available, I'm probably going the Dinan route with their lowering springs and bump stops.
Fully agree - the design between GAS and Dinan are basically one in the same. It seems as if most of your F-Series M3/M4 boys are utilizing the GAS units as they are less in price the Dinan.

From what I can gather from GAS website there does not seem to be any available options for the G20; I will be giving them a call tomorrow to verify and I'll let you know. The same applies to VAC.

I am currently in the process of purchasing a set of Ohlins R/T coilovers, monoballs and Vorshlag camber plates. This setup should get me where I want to be as it relates to my suspension goals 😎😎 During the install I will draft a before and after tutorial
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      02-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
Fully agree - the design between GAS and Dinan are basically one in the same. It seems as if most of your F-Series M3/M4 boys are utilizing the GAS units as they are less in price the Dinan.

From what I can gather from GAS website there does not seem to be any available options for the G20; I will be giving them a call tomorrow to verify and I'll let you know. The same applies to VAC.

I am currently in the process of purchasing a set of Ohlins R/T coilovers, monoballs and Vorshlag camber plates. This setup should get me where I want to be as it relates to my suspension goals 😎😎 During the install I will draft a before and after tutorial
Thats some serious suspension upgrades. Assuming you track frequently?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 04:54 PM   #5
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Quote:

Thats some serious suspension upgrades. Assuming you track frequently?
Lol, to some the upgrades will seem serious, while to others the upgrades will seem mediocre. To be honest, the car is my daily driver and will never see a day on the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 09:08 AM   #6
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Apologies as I had to edit my original response. Spoke with Gary over at GAS yesterday (great guy and super knowledgeable). He stated GAS does not currently offer a unit for the G20 platform but he has intentions to fabricate in the future.

Looks like it's Dinan or wait for others to have available alternatives.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #7
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apologies as I had to edit my original response. Spoke with Gary over at GAS yesterday (great guy and super knowledgeable). He stated GAS does not currently offer a unit for the G20 platform but he has intentions to fabricate in the future.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the follow up! I'm waiting until spring before starting this process, so I may wait to see if future options are available over the next couple months.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2022, 01:17 PM   #8
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps
Thanks for the follow up! I'm waiting until spring before starting this process, so I may wait to see if future options are available over the next couple months.
No worries - I called Gary again today to ask him a specific question regarding tension arm replacement duration and he remembered our conversation from yesterday, that's when he informed me that the information he had provided was incorrect. He did go on to state that he will be ordering a set of stock G20 tension arms to verify if GAS has an existing unit which would be the same dimensions (GAS currently makes a unit for the G29/Z4 which might be the same dimensions but he will have to physically verify).

I feel you - I definitely would wait as additional options will become available in the near future. I'm sure the Dinan units are good but I'm like you - I want options!

For me I will most likely install the coilovers and camber plates for now, then purchase a set of monoballs when more options are available. Not to mention you can install new monoballs without having to realign your vehicle 😀

Keep me posted as time progresses
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #9
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Came across these pre installed units yesterday. I will most likely be going this route in the next couple months

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m.../005654la09~a/
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #10
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice! They must have recently released these units. Do you have any personal experience with Tuner-Motorsport components? And if so, what are your thoughts and opinions?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 10:01 AM   #11
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice! They must have recently released these units. Do you have any personal experience with Tuner-Motorsport components? And if so, what are your thoughts and opinions?
No experience with any of their in-house components, but based on their racing history and connection with BMW, I bet they are a top notch kit!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 10:07 AM   #12
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No experience with any of their in-house components, but based on their racing history and connection with BMW, I bet they are a top notch kit!
I'm just might have to give them a try 😎😎
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 02:46 AM   #13
Onetotree
Registered
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i RWD

Hey Chubbiejones ,

Did you ever get confirmation from GAS if the G29 monoballs would fit on a G20 LCA? I recently reached out to Gary via email and he also said that “Our G29 monoballs may fit the G20 controls arms. but I don’t have any here to measure.“

Wanted to see if he got back to you back then and maybe forgot that he had already measured it. Or maybe he was never able to get around to purchasing and measuring a g20 LCA.

I suspect that they would be compatible since the Dinan and Turner monoballs specify both the G20 and G29 in their fitment guides.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 07:07 PM   #14
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetotree View Post
Hey Chubbiejones ,

Did you ever get confirmation from GAS if the G29 monoballs would fit on a G20 LCA? I recently reached out to Gary via email and he also said that “Our G29 monoballs may fit the G20 controls arms. but I don’t have any here to measure.“

Wanted to see if he got back to you back then and maybe forgot that he had already measured it. Or maybe he was never able to get around to purchasing and measuring a g20 LCA.

I suspect that they would be compatible since the Dinan and Turner monoballs specify both the G20 and G29 in their fitment guides.
I'd be wary of this. I have the very first set of SPL's adjustable bushings and they were not long enough to get the snap ring in. They told me they were using measurements off of a G29 arm. They're currently in the process of remaking it for me.
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 12:11 PM   #15
Onetotree
Registered
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i RWD

Hi KyK, Thanks for chiming in. I just heard back from GAS and they said they expect to receive two lower control arms tomorrow for measurement verification (one for Xdrive and one for RWD). Hopefully they will have a compatible solution. Good luck with your SPL's, hopefully they get you sorted out quick.
Appreciate 2
KyK102.50
      04-09-2024, 03:01 AM   #16
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Came across these pre installed units yesterday. I will most likely be going this route in the next couple months

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m.../005654la09~a/
Two years behind...

Actual G20 x-drive version: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m.../005654la10~a/

RWD: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m.../005654la11~a/
Appreciate 1