Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK How do you close the bonnet?

11-26-2023, 09:29 AM   #1
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

How do you close the bonnet?

Yes, possibly the dumbest question ever asked on a forum, but mine isn’t doing what it says in the manual… I had it open today for the first time since getting the car to dry in there after washing and couldn’t close it again. In the manual it says to drop the bonnet from 20 inches / 50cm and it will close. Mine doesn’t, it hits the latch and half engages (you can’t lift it again without going into the cabin and pulling the lever once) but it doesn’t close all the way. After about 10 tries I eventually closed it all the way by gently pushing down over the latch on both sides, but the manual specifically says not to do that as it might damage it. So, what am I doing wrong, or is there something wrong with it?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

Drop it higher. I drop mine about 30-40 cms at a rough guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 10:00 AM   #3
alFR
Private First Class
Rep

I was dropping it from as high up as the hydraulics would let it fall and it still wasn’t closing.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 10:13 AM   #4
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
Yes, possibly the dumbest question ever asked on a forum, but mine isn’t doing what it says in the manual… I had it open today for the first time since getting the car to dry in there after washing and couldn’t close it again. In the manual it says to drop the bonnet from 20 inches / 50cm and it will close. Mine doesn’t, it hits the latch and half engages (you can’t lift it again without going into the cabin and pulling the lever once) but it doesn’t close all the way. After about 10 tries I eventually closed it all the way by gently pushing down over the latch on both sides, but the manual specifically says not to do that as it might damage it. So, what am I doing wrong, or is there something wrong with it?
I think the manual only warns against pushing down on the latches if they don’t fully engage when the bonnet is dropped. With my current car, and previous 5 Series, I have always lowered the bonnet to rest on the latches, and then pressed down firmly with the heels of my hands above the latches. Never had any problems at all doing it that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 11:03 AM   #5
alFR
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, will give that a try. Also found a video on YouTube / a few web search results suggesting you don’t just let it drop, you should actively push it down hard which appears to work in the video… Will try both methods and see how I get on next time I have it open. As an aside, anyone know why the manual advises that you can damage it by pressing it closed? Seems a bit odd that it could be damaged by doing that, the catches look pretty robust.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 11:19 AM   #6
AM340iMiami
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I place my hands wide on each end of hood and put a little weight on it and it latches. Hands will be over each headlight. Doesn’t take much force at all. Never had any issues by doing this.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 01:38 PM   #7
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
When I wipe down my engine bay after a wash, I put a microfiber towel on the front and center of the hood/bonnet and use slight force to slam it down.
Appreciate 0