Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Cognac Satisfaction Ratio? A tale of dashboards

12-07-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Cognac Satisfaction Ratio? A tale of dashboards

Ok... I know color threads are subjective. I'm considering Tanz or BSM with Cognac. Let's start with what is NOT possible in the US:

That's the Leather Dashboard option, but what it really gives is a cohesive look to the dashboard in my eyes with the bottom part in black the same as the top. I've always loved warm leather like Natural Brown on the E46 and Saddle on the E90, and I love the notion of separating the relaxed luxury (the seats) from the serious business (the driving) with a strong color split.

I was a huge fan of Cognac until I saw that it kept the Cognac color on the plastic lower dash, as here:

I'm not a fan of how it transitions to black in the center console and floor. I feel that if BMW was doing this, it should be closer to how Porsche does it, where you go from the dark "businesslike" dash to an enveloping warmness in the cabin:

I'm personally set on the Mesh trim for the sportiness, but I can see how BMW's approach could create a more luxury feel with the Open Pore Oak. I liked that trim too but I felt the silver framing of the trim clashed too much with it.

My question to all of you with Cognac, am I overthinking this? Anyone have similar reservations? How does the texture and feel of the lower dash work with the actual Cognac leather portions and contrasted with the black dash top? I did see that Mocha has the black lower dash, but I feel Mocha is just too dark. Welcome thoughts on that as well!

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I wouldn't have gotten Cognac if I had to have the split color design on the dash (I'm in Canada where we can get the black lower dash if you opt for the leather dash).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive

I have the middle picture, with aluminum mesh trim. I personally love it and think it looks modern but to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
nik14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E39 E46(2) E90 F30 G01 G20

I agree with you that the natural brown on the E46 was better as the underside of the dash was black. I initially found the G20 Cognac color layout ugly, but I did end up getting the Cognac in the G20 and now I don't really think twice about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I wouldn't have gotten Cognac if I had to have the split color design on the dash (I'm in Canada where we can get the black lower dash if you opt for the leather dash).
OP, if Canada offers the leather dash you can get it, too, with the right CA and dealership.

Edit: I just checked the Canadian price and it’s $1,200. Converted to USD that’s $900, which is close to the U.S. price when the leather dash was available on the F3x. So, I’d say it could probably be had somewhere between $900 - $1,200.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-07-2019 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I have cognac and have no regrets
      12-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
laidback93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 1990 325is

I just took delivery of an M340i yesterday. Portimao with cognac. At first I didn’t know what to think about the dash color, but it’s grown on me already. It does feel very modern.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #8
MadMoose
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

6 months in still love my cognac. lower dash color doesn't make a difference to me, I think both look fine and the thought would never cross my mind if it wasn't being posted on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I've had my Portimao with Cognac and the open pore oak trim for a month now and I'm loving the interior color choice I made.

I had the same concern when ordering that the Cognac lower dash will make the plastic stick out in a bad way but honestly it's not as bad as I thought. I wish we were able to get the lower dash in black but it was worth it to get the Cognac anyway. I didn't want to get black again since it makes the interior too dark so the oyster was my second choice. Even the oyster I was turned off by it when I saw a 330i at the dealer with it. I was hoping for it to be pure white but it had a slight hint of beige which I didn't like.

So I think the first time you see the Cognac lower dash it might not look good but trust me after seeing it a few times it's not bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #10
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Too orange looking on the dash IMO so went with oyster and I don't mind the oyster lower dash. I just couldn't do it with cognac.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
FUZCO
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickForLife View Post
Ok... I know color threads are subjective. I'm considering Tanz or BSM with Cognac. Let's start with what is NOT possible in the US:

That's the Leather Dashboard option, but what it really gives is a cohesive look to the dashboard in my eyes with the bottom part in black the same as the top. I've always loved warm leather like Natural Brown on the E46 and Saddle on the E90, and I love the notion of separating the relaxed luxury (the seats) from the serious business (the driving) with a strong color split.

I was a huge fan of Cognac until I saw that it kept the Cognac color on the plastic lower dash, as here:

I'm not a fan of how it transitions to black in the center console and floor. I feel that if BMW was doing this, it should be closer to how Porsche does it, where you go from the dark "businesslike" dash to an enveloping warmness in the cabin:

I'm personally set on the Mesh trim for the sportiness, but I can see how BMW's approach could create a more luxury feel with the Open Pore Oak. I liked that trim too but I felt the silver framing of the trim clashed too much with it.

My question to all of you with Cognac, am I overthinking this? Anyone have similar reservations? How does the texture and feel of the lower dash work with the actual Cognac leather portions and contrasted with the black dash top? I did see that Mocha has the black lower dash, but I feel Mocha is just too dark. Welcome thoughts on that as well!

Just came back from the dealer. The split dash looks even worse in person. That split dash crap is so Frowned upon, that BMW should just shelve it. Unfortunately in the United States we don’t have the option to order the leather dashboard so you’re kind of stuck between black and mocha. The mocha is kind of nice though.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #12
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

The silver trim with the cognac doesnt do it any favours, the open pore oak looks spot on imo.
Appreciate 0