Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK LCI - no laser lights?

05-25-2022, 06:53 AM   #23
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Another shame tbh, LLs are really effective around where I live.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 08:18 PM   #24
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Yes, pre-LCI the selective beam function was only available with laser lights as part of the Visibility Pack. However, now laser lights seem to have disappeared as an option with the LCI models, I was also wondering if selective beam is now standard when adaptive LED's are specified?

If so I think that would take us back to where we were with the F3x models as with those I'm pretty sure adaptive lights - whether xenon or more latterly LED - included the selective beam function.
That’s exactly what’s they’re doing, using leds for the selective beam… but this time using matrix tech which is waaaay ahead of the old systems (inc LL’s)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 12:16 AM   #25
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I don’t think the company has abandoned laser headlights - they are still available on new versions of the higher end models. They’ve just ditched them for cheaper headlights on the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 01:13 AM   #26
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmots View Post
That’s exactly what’s they’re doing, using leds for the selective beam… but this time using matrix tech which is waaaay ahead of the old systems (inc LL’s)
So you're saying that (for example) the M340i now has matrix lights with selective beam function as standard and they're also way better than the laser lights that came with the old Visibility Pack and cost £1500 extra? You might be right but it's not like BMW to offer new, improved, technology and not charge the customer for the privilege!

I also don't see any reference to matrix technology in the blurb for the LCI 3-series and to be honest the explanation they've simply dropped the laser lights sounds more plausible to me....

Last edited by JNW1; 06-01-2022 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2022, 08:45 PM   #27
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying that (for example) the M340i now has matrix lights with selective beam function as standard and they're also way better than the laser lights that came with the old Visibility Pack and cost £1500 extra? You might be right but it's not like BMW to offer new, improved, technology and not charge the customer for the privilege!

I also don't see any reference to matrix technology in the blurb for the LCI 3-series and to be honest the explanation they've simply dropped the laser lights sounds more plausible to me....
Yes basically.. the visibility pack is still available for £1000 on anything that isn’t a 340, as this includes what is standard on the 340.

The matrix tech is way way more reactive to traffic than the older tech that the lasers use.. obviously there’s no laser module in the lights which is what’s keeping the cost down.. £1000 vs £1500

I think these, the black pack etc being standard go towards the ~4k price increase for the LCI car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 02:02 AM   #28
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Seems odd why anyone would spec the vis. pack separately at £1k when it’s part of the msport pro pack at £2.8k.

Basically means you get everything else in the pro pack for £1.8k, which is dare I say it a slight bargain considering it includes adaptive dampers, upgraded wheels and msport braking system to name a few.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 09:42 AM   #29
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes basically.. the visibility pack is still available for £1000 on anything that isn’t a 340, as this includes what is standard on the 340.

The matrix tech is way way more reactive to traffic than the older tech that the lasers use.. obviously there’s no laser module in the lights which is what’s keeping the cost down.. £1000 vs £1500

I think these, the black pack etc being standard go towards the ~4k price increase for the LCI car.
Laser lights are still an option on more expensive models like (for example) the M3 Competition, X5 and the 8-series but you're saying they're old tech and nothing like as good as what's now being fitted to the cooking 3-series? That just doesn't make sense to me I'm afraid; IMO it's far more likely the uptake on laser lights wasn't great on the 3-series and hence they've just been dropped on the LCI version...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 11:26 AM   #30
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Laser lights are still an option on more expensive models like (for example) the M3 Competition, X5 and the 8-series but you're saying they're old tech and nothing like as good as what's now being fitted to the cooking 3-series? That just doesn't make sense to me I'm afraid; IMO it's far more likely the uptake on laser lights wasn't great on the 3-series and hence they've just been dropped on the LCI version...
That’s certainly how I see it. They are still available, but only on more upmarket models.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #31
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok so I’m not sure how they work on these other models, I read somewhere that the LCI 5 series laser lights now uses the matrix adaptive/selective LED tech for its light but does also have the addition of a laser module (I don’t think the laser can do the selective bit)

So obviously the 4 series, M3/M4 all use the same front end and have come into production after the LCI 5 series I’d suggest they’re using the same tech as that, and also why the option is priced at £1500 still.

Obviously for the LCI 3 series they’ve decided to do away with the laser module on the matrix lights, I’m assuming to cheapen the option to £1000 (which adds up to me)

They’ve thrown it in with the LCI 340’s probably to help justify the price increase.

The best thing about the laser lights for me is the selective beam bit, and the matrix tech does this so much better.. so for me it’s a step forward. I once had a late night drive back from Whitby across the moors and the lasers were nothing short of amazing, but that’s probably 1% of my driving, for the rest of the night driving I do they just don’t react quick enough (after coming from a car with matrix tech)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 06:00 AM   #32
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

The laser lights are still an option on 5 Series (though now a stand alone as opposed to with adaptive)
Personally, I think it's the adaptive leds that have now been adopted to the 3 series, and the lasers are still up there where they were.
Lasers are not part of the adaptive system per se, (so called 'dancing LED's) and only illuminate above 37 MPH, and switch off immediately when oncoming lights appear, or the rear lights of cars. I also think they switch off in illuminated areas.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #33
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok so I’m not sure how they work on these other models, I read somewhere that the LCI 5 series laser lights now uses the matrix adaptive/selective LED tech for its light but does also have the addition of a laser module (I don’t think the laser can do the selective bit)

So obviously the 4 series, M3/M4 all use the same front end and have come into production after the LCI 5 series I’d suggest they’re using the same tech as that, and also why the option is priced at £1500 still.

Obviously for the LCI 3 series they’ve decided to do away with the laser module on the matrix lights, I’m assuming to cheapen the option to £1000 (which adds up to me)

They’ve thrown it in with the LCI 340’s probably to help justify the price increase.

The best thing about the laser lights for me is the selective beam bit, and the matrix tech does this so much better.. so for me it’s a step forward. I once had a late night drive back from Whitby across the moors and the lasers were nothing short of amazing, but that’s probably 1% of my driving, for the rest of the night driving I do they just don’t react quick enough (after coming from a car with matrix tech)
So you're saying there are different versions of laser lights and those fitted to (for example) the M3, X5 and 8-series are not the same as those that were available as an option on the pre-LCI G2x 3-series? You might be right as I admit I haven't followed these things closely; however, if so it surprises me BMW have complicated their headlight choice and options in this way!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #34
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
So you're saying there are different versions of laser lights and those fitted to (for example) the M3, X5 and 8-series are not the same as those that were available as an option on the pre-LCI G2x 3-series? You might be right as I admit I haven't followed these things closely; however, if so it surprises me BMW have complicated their headlight choice and options in this way!
BMW headlight choices have always been difficult to follow. For instance, Vis pack on a 3 series gave you selective beam etc, but on a 1 or 2 series it didn’t. On those models it just gave you cornering light and LED’s. I don’t even think HBA was available on those models.

Laser lights will disappear on the rest of the range as the LCI’s and new models appear. They weren’t available in all markets worldwide anyway.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #35
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Basically yes 😆

Not 100% what has which, but yes😄
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #36
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Basically yes 😆

Not 100% what has which, but yes😄
I have drove a 3 series and 5 series both with lasers and exactly the same. In fact the lasers on the 3 series are more responsive when they adapt and I have also had laser operating below 30mph with the selective beam full working.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 01:27 AM   #37
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
I have drove a 3 series and 5 series both with lasers and exactly the same. In fact the lasers on the 3 series are more responsive when they adapt and I have also had laser operating below 30mph with the selective beam full working.
When the beam forming is in operation the lasers are off. They are only on above 37mph and when there’s no other traffic or streetlights. Outside of that it’s just beam forming LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 07:18 AM   #38
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Are you 100% that LLs were active (and not just main beam) below 30 mph? iirc manual states 37mph minimum for activation, but I get main beam on at 25mph.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 08:13 AM   #39
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

The new M3 Competition Touring (G81) will be available with Laser Lights.

So, it seems they're not being replaced by LED lights, they just won't be available on the G20 LCI.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #40
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintstream View Post

So, it seems they're not being replaced by LED lights, they just won't be available on the G20 LCI.
Unless - as was suggested by philmots - there are different derivatives of laser lights? If that's the case those fitted to the new M3 are presumably not the same (i.e. better) than those that used to be offered on the pre-LCI G20/21?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 03:26 PM   #41
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintstream View Post

Unless - as was suggested by philmots - there are different derivatives of laser lights? If that's the case those fitted to the new M3 are presumably not the same (i.e. better) than those that used to be offered on the pre-LCI G20/21?
Maybe! However, they look pretty much identical to mine with the blue inserts and the DTRL's.

I used Joe's video as a reference:
(skip to 7.20)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 04:08 PM   #42
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Some people seem to suggest that the existing laser lights don’t already use matrix LEDs alongside the lasers in the pre-LCI setup. They do, as shown by the complex beam forming capabilities. They are a step up from the standard LEDs (hence the reason why adding adaptive as an OTA upgrade doesn’t add beam forming, only auto-dipping).

Last edited by paulockenden; 06-23-2022 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 08:38 AM   #43
Matrixsenior
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

My understanding is laser lights dont engage on until 60 or 70 mph and the latest matrix lights are just as good.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #44
Slipmiester
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixsenior View Post
My understanding is laser lights dont engage on until 60 or 70 mph and the latest matrix lights are just as good.
From the manual:

Laser high beams

When the high beams are switched-on, starting
with a speed of approx. 37 mph/60 km/h, the laser
high beams in the headlight are automatically
switched on in addition to the LED high beams.
Appreciate 1