Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW of San Francisco wont sell me the car

03-06-2023, 09:50 AM   #1
90rr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

BMW of San Francisco wont sell me the car

I've been searching for a 2020 M340i with the executive package and under 30K miles for 6 months. Finally, I found one in CA and I had the cash in hand to purchase it. With cash in hand, I tried to buy the car online from BMW of San Francisco yesterday since I'm located in Florida, but they simply won't sell the car.

I found an offer for the car on AutoTrader and went to the BMW of San Francisco website. Both the AutoTrader offer and the BMW of San Francisco listings specified that they were selling out of state. I spoke with someone via chat who asked me relevant questions and took all my information, assuring me that someone would contact me soon to finalize the purchase. However, no one called me back for hours.

Frustrated, I went back to the website and submitted my own order. During the process, I had a question about shipping and PPI, which I was in the process of completing with Lemon Squad. So, I decided to call the dealership to inquire about it.

When I called, the person who answered the phone simply told me that they wouldn't sell me the car since I was out of state and that it was too much hassle. Even when I asked if I could buy the car and figure out shipping on my own, the salesman said no and suggested that I buy a car from a dealership in Florida. I explained why I wanted to buy from their dealership, but the salesman wasn't interested in listening and just said no.

I went back to the chat and explained what had happened, but the customer service person wasn't aware that they didn't sell out of state. They apologized and said that a manager would call me immediately. However, no one called me back as promised.

I'm disappointed with the poor treatment I received as a loyal customer. Has anyone else had dealings with them?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

No dealings with them myself. It’s a shame they won’t entertain a serious customer with money in the bank. Distance selling can be a bit of a pain. If you want it that bad put a reservation deposit down and turn up their in person to drive it away on the day. Otherwise it ain’t meant to be and plenty more fish in the sea… that kind of thing. Good luck buying it or finding the right one.
Appreciate 3
      03-06-2023, 11:46 AM   #3
tgrundke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M340xi; '16 GTI Autobahn

Garage List
2023 M340  [10.00]
Always call first. Why not speak directly with the sales manager and ask what the process is.

I have a colleague that just purchased a Bronco located in Michigan (we're in Ohio), and he had to jump through massive hoops to do so - the dealership would not accept anything other than cash.

Frankly, if I were the dealership, so long as I had a verified bank loan/check that cleared, I don't see what the issue would be.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:56 PM   #4
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
I had another California dealer who wouldn’t sell to me because I was out of state. I’ve noticed BMW of San Francisco tends to have some pretty good prices, but I’ve also read reports they are not good to deal with. It would seem they would be into internet sales, because they put a ton of information about their cars on their website.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-06-2023, 01:02 PM   #5
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Got around $7k off the total price when I got my car originally in 2020 from BMW of SF. Hard to compare times now to then though.
Appreciate 1
90rr106.50
      03-06-2023, 01:42 PM   #6
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I bought my car from BMW of Loveland in Colorado(I'm in Texas), probably the best experience purchasing a car ever. I put a deposit down after all the usual questions, flew in a few days later and drove it back.

Easy peasy.

I swear it seem some sales people these days don't want to make a sale if it requires a little work.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13352.00
      03-06-2023, 03:00 PM   #7
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
I bought my car from BMW of Loveland in Colorado(I'm in Texas), probably the best experience purchasing a car ever. I put a deposit down after all the usual questions, flew in a few days later and drove it back.

Easy peasy.

I swear it seem some sales people these days don't want to make a sale if it requires a little work.
Pretty much no one these days wants to do anything if it requires some work.

03-06-2023, 03:38 PM   #8
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Lazy. Complain to manager?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 04:20 PM   #9
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Sellers market
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #10
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Sellers market
Not quite.

I'm sure they just dont want to deal with any BS that may come from out of state buyers, especially one that is in florida..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 05:28 PM   #11
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofelt View Post
Not quite.

I'm sure they just dont want to deal with any BS that may come from out of state buyers, especially one that is in florida..
Didn’t you read the part where OP told the dealer they’d be willing to buy the car but deal with transportation themselves? I bought mine during CoVID and I completed all transactions over the phone and DocuSign — even though my dealer is nearby. Lazy is probably another way of putting it for this particular dealer. By “sellers market” I meant to say this dealer is probably not eager for OPs money. They know that they will sell the car either way without any “extra” effort from an out-of-state buyer. If OP needs the car so bad probably escalate to a manager of call BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 05:39 PM   #12
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whofelt View Post
Not quite.

What an utterly STUPID statement!! Jon Shafer in San Diego sells cars to out of state buyers on a regular basis. That’s because he is a first class CA, enthusiast, and all around good cookie!!

03-06-2023, 05:48 PM   #13
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I had another California dealer who wouldn’t sell to me because I was out of state. I’ve noticed BMW of San Francisco tends to have some pretty good prices, but I’ve also read reports they are not good to deal with. It would seem they would be into internet sales, because they put a ton of information about their cars on their website.
Okay, to add to this post that I didn’t have time for earlier.

I actually got really close to buying a great deal from BMW of San Francisco right at the end of last year, but it sold before I got all of my details worked out. I was working with Carl and he knew from the beginning I was in Chicago. One small difference to your situation, I was planning to fly out and pick up the car, although I don’t think that mattered to him. Overall he was very accommodating and sent me a ton of information and photos. I’m going to PM his contact information to you.

Just pm’d you. I just noticed Carl’s title is Internet Sales.

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-06-2023 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 11:02 AM   #14
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Didn’t you read the part where OP told the dealer they’d be willing to buy the car but deal with transportation themselves?
You mean this part?

Quote:
When I called, the person who answered the phone simply told me that they wouldn't sell me the car since I was out of state and that it was too much hassle. Even when I asked if I could buy the car and figure out shipping on my own, the salesman said no and suggested that I buy a car from a dealership in Florida. I explained why I wanted to buy from their dealership, but the salesman wasn't interested in listening and just said no.
They (the dealership) do not want to sell you the car.

OP, leave a review on Yelp or Google and look somewhere else.
      03-07-2023, 12:31 PM   #15
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Part of it could be requirements that the CA dealer would have to meet specific to FL, such as collect sales taxes, send them to FL, etc. I've purchased a few vehicles from out-of-state and they always ask me in what state I reside. When I say TX, they say oh ok, TX is easy to deal with.

My BMW was purchased in TN & they had to collect TX sales tax & I also had to sign a document that I was removing the vehicle from TN within 3 days or I would be subject to TN sales tax - it was from their State Comptroller. My wife ordered a new vehicle from a dealer in IA & they didn't collect any sales taxes, we had to pay them in TX upon registering the vehicle.

Each state has different rules and regulations, so before bashing the dealer, find out why they don't want to sell you the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #16
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

As mentioned above, it is a seller's market right now. They really have no motivation to sell it to you when they can sell it to someone locally at the same price or more, especially when they know you are paying cash.

If you were the sales manager, you probably would do the same too.

It is their car. If they dont want to sell it to someone, they dont really have to right?

Keep looking, i am sure you will find the car you wanted somewhere else. If it is not meant to be, then maybe it is a good thing.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 03:02 PM   #17
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was at BMW San Francisco today to checkout a car. I pointed out your experience to one of the sales agents who apologized profusely. Apparently they no longer offer out of state sales. It’s a recent change after they became corporate. Also part of what informed that decision has something to do with fraud?! The agent said they’ve had to deal with that.

I’m told they will be outsourcing out of state sales. Maybe call sales manager if you want more clarity.
Appreciate 1
90rr106.50
      03-10-2023, 10:04 PM   #18
90rr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Thank you to everyone who responded. After months of searching, I finally purchased a fully loaded 2021 Portimao Blue RWD M340i in excellent condition with 18k miles on it. I found it as a fresh trade-in at a Ford dealership in North Carolina.
I almost put a deposit on a similar 2020 model in New Jersey, which was CPO but had 30k miles on it. Unfortunately, I had already ordered a PPI for it, which I couldn't get a refund for. However, the dealership was taking too long to complete the transaction, and this deal in North Carolina was by far the best value for what I was looking for. For just $1092 more, I was able to get a vehicle that was a year younger and had 12k fewer miles under warranty.

The car is set to be delivered sometime next week or later, and I'll be sure to follow up with pictures. Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 10:16 PM   #19
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Congrats on the new ride!
Appreciate 1
90rr106.50
      03-12-2023, 10:22 PM   #20
j luke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
What an utterly STUPID statement!! Jon Shafer in San Diego sells cars to out of state buyers on a regular basis. That’s because he is a first class CA, enthusiast, and all around good cookie!!

Just a small correction. John is in Santa Maria, CA. He does sell cars to out of town and out of state buyers.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 10:34 PM   #21
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j luke View Post
Just a small correction. Jon is in Santa Maria, CA. He does sell cars to out of town and out of state buyers.
Funny…. I don’t know why I typed San Diego. Even though he’s now moved I actually had Santa Barbara in my mind when I typed that. If my memory is serving me correctly he was at BMW of Santa Barbara for many years. Seems like he’s had some trouble lately finding a dealership that appreciates what he brings to the table and he’s moved around some. Regardless, folks still find him and give him their business.

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-13-2023 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
j luke77.50
      03-13-2023, 03:37 PM   #22
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90rr View Post
I've been searching for a 2020 M340i with the executive package and under 30K miles for 6 months. Finally, I found one in CA and I had the cash in hand to purchase it. With cash in hand, I tried to buy the car online from BMW of San Francisco yesterday since I'm located in Florida, but they simply won't sell the car.

I found an offer for the car on AutoTrader and went to the BMW of San Francisco website. Both the AutoTrader offer and the BMW of San Francisco listings specified that they were selling out of state. I spoke with someone via chat who asked me relevant questions and took all my information, assuring me that someone would contact me soon to finalize the purchase. However, no one called me back for hours.

Frustrated, I went back to the website and submitted my own order. During the process, I had a question about shipping and PPI, which I was in the process of completing with Lemon Squad. So, I decided to call the dealership to inquire about it.

I went back to the chat and explained what had happened, but the customer service person wasn't aware that they didn't sell out of state. They apologized and said that a manager would call me immediately. However, no one called me back as promised.

I'm disappointed with the poor treatment I received as a loyal customer. Has anyone else had dealings with them?
Was this the 2020 Portimao Blue M340i they had listed for $45k? I purchased that car last week!

This is the 2nd BMW I have purchased from them. They were one of the few family owned BMW dealers, the owner is a big motorsports fan with a collection of rare BMW cars... but they sold the business to a corporation and things changed.

Their prices are pretty decent but you do have to show up to purchase. Because of the pricing, the turnover on cars are pretty fast. Used cars are usually sold within a few days or weeks. It is much faster for them to sell to a local buyer than deal with remote buyers and deal with shipping and PPI etc.

They only have a few sales people on staff so it is not uncommon for one sales person to sell 6 cars a day... my sales person was did that the day I purchased my car. When I wanted to look at a car, he'd toss me the keys and tell me to ask for him when I was ready to buy and disappear to go help another customer.

But if you are there to buy in person, they will slash the price for you to make the sale... sometimes you get some great deals.

Last edited by Z K; 03-13-2023 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0