Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Specifying Germany location for custom order?

Closed Thread

02-07-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Specifying Germany location for custom order?

A couple of reasons why I’d prefer Germany:

Tested, tried, and true. The Germans have an eye and history for quality production. The Mexico factory is very new and there's no feedback yet regarding defect rates.

Quite frankly, I'm a bit apprehensive of anything coming from Mexico as of the late because of socioeconomic and political instabilities.

Am I being a bit cynical, or justified?

I'm sure there are owners on here who have a Mexico build with absolutely no issues. My take is that until production has been in the works a few years and statistics are available regarding QA, buying a BMW from the Mexico factory at this point is a BIG gamble very risky.

This is not a hate or racist thread. This is all stemming from uncertainty with a new production site as well concerns regarding tensions between the two countries. Constructive feedback is welcome.

Last edited by Conezz; 02-07-2020 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Never heard that you can specify build location. I wouldn't worry one way or another.
Appreciate 1
Conezz103.00
      02-07-2020, 11:22 PM   #3
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
There's a guy on here Jay who specified that all RWD models will now be produced in Mexico for the US. Also, from the little I know about the SA plant, the defects tend to be lower because quality control is even more strict with newer plants etc.

Just what I've heard on these forums anyways
Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
Conezz103.00
      02-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #4
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
There's a guy on here Jay who specified that all RWD models will now be produced in Mexico for the US. Also, from the little I know about the SA plant, the defects tend to be lower because quality control is even more strict with newer plants etc.

Just what I've heard on these forums anyways
Sounds good. Is the m340i RWD produced there at all as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

As per Jay, yes. They’re shifting RWD to Mexico. Mexico doesn’t make M340i xDrives yet.

And honestly, I would not worry one bit. Like I’ve said in many threads, if my car is anything to go by, then I’m 100pc for Mexico. It does not have a single fault. No rattle whatsoever. No failures or glitches. Hell. Even connecteddrive works perfectly. Oh wait. Only issue is the digital key card not unlocking the car which could be because I hadn’t used it for a long time? But other than that, not a single issue.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 3
      02-07-2020, 11:49 PM   #6
trife.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3MC x Porsche Cayenne

^^ I don't think the SA plant produces the 3 series anymore.

As far as the NA build m340is go, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's a full-fledged BMW facility that they built from the ground up. I just look at it as that tried and true German engineering and manufacturing is just being done on a different continent. There's no way the process has been cheapened, or QA standards lowered just b/c it's Mexico. In fact, the manufacturing process may have been improved since newer technologies are being employed there.

Granted, there could be growing pains in spite of all of the above. But I haven't seen or heard of any major issues with 3 series coming from the SLP plant yet, so that's a positive.
Appreciate 1
Conezz103.00
      02-08-2020, 12:58 AM   #7
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
As per Jay, yes. They’re shifting RWD to Mexico. Mexico doesn’t make M340i xDrives yet.

And honestly, I would not worry one bit. Like I’ve said in many threads, if my car is anything to go by, then I’m 100pc for Mexico. It does not have a single fault. No rattle whatsoever. No failures or glitches. Hell. Even connecteddrive works perfectly. Oh wait. Only issue is the digital key card not unlocking the car which could be because I hadn’t used it for a long time? But other than that, not a single issue.
Thanks for your input on the new Mexico factory. Glad you're enjoying your G20.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 01:04 AM   #8
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trife. View Post
^^ I don't think the SA plant produces the 3 series anymore.

As far as the NA build m340is go, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's a full-fledged BMW facility that they built from the ground up. I just look at it as that tried and true German engineering and manufacturing is just being done on a different continent. There's no way the process has been cheapened, or QA standards lowered just b/c it's Mexico. In fact, the manufacturing process may have been improved since newer technologies are being employed there.

Granted, there could be growing pains in spite of all of the above. But I haven't seen or heard of any major issues with 3 series coming from the SLP plant yet, so that's a positive.
Appreciate your post. I admit I was caught a bit off guard when I realized my build is from the Mexico and just wasn't expecting it, hence the skepticism.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread