Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums USA - Texas 2022 M340i Build, got 3.6% off final price, did I do well or did I mess up?

03-06-2022, 10:08 PM   #1
jeff2222222
Rep
Drives: m340i

2022 M340i Build, got 3.6% off final price, did I do well or did I mess up?

Hello, I live in San Antonio and I recently just bought a new 2022 M340i by building it that would be my first car. I looked online before purchasing and got many conflicting comments regarding how much they can get off the price. Some say even $1 off is a steal, and some say they have gotten up to 10% off on a new BMW. The "out the door" price they gave me was $63,072, I negotiated it down to 60,772 for a $2,300 discount, or 3.6% discount off the final price (including taxes and other fees), and also include the coat protection and tint that they were about to charge me $700 for (lmao). I was wondering if I did well, or if I got taken for a ride like the dumbass that I am. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #2
BBQman98
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Doesn't sound horrible to me, but its hard to say without knowing the MSRP of the car + options. What options did you add to the build?

Also, assuming you've already signed for that price and everything, try not to overthink it too much and enjoy your new ride my guy!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #3
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2222222 View Post
Hello, I live in San Antonio and I recently just bought a new 2022 M340i by building it that would be my first car. I looked online before purchasing and got many conflicting comments regarding how much they can get off the price. Some say even $1 off is a steal, and some say they have gotten up to 10% off on a new BMW. The "out the door" price they gave me was $63,072, I negotiated it down to 60,772 for a $2,300 discount, or 3.6% discount off the final price (including taxes and other fees), and also include the coat protection and tint that they were about to charge me $700 for (lmao). I was wondering if I did well, or if I got taken for a ride like the dumbass that I am. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for posting, it is good info. Dealers are of course going to play the 'covid shortages' as much as possible. But, prices can only fall as production and loan rates rise.

I contacted BMW of San Antonio yesterday about a 330i or m235i. They told me:
  • 1% over MSRP
  • must get front windows tinted for $499

They were very quick to agree to tint all the windows for $599. This just confirms my belief I can get well under MSRP.
      05-29-2022, 05:20 PM   #4
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post
Thanks for posting, it is good info. Dealers are of course going to play the 'covid shortages' as much as possible. But, prices can only fall as production and loan rates rise.

• 1% over MSRP

They were very quick to agree to tint all the windows for $599. This just confirms my belief I can get well under MSRP.
Well under MSRP???? What world do you live in???
The current demand (from parts to final product) is waaaayyyyy higher than the supply and they can sell a complete inventory at MSRP (or higher) with no problems. Why would they give you a bag of cash I.e. “well below MSRP”???
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 04:29 PM   #5
TomcatRyan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 430 convertible, Merc C300

It depends how far you want to go to get a deal. Maybe the dealer 5 miles away from you is selling everything at MSRP or above but every BMW dealer in the country is not selling everything at MSRP.

For example if your in the DFW area, try Tyler. And start with the sales manager or the general manager. I didn't have much luck at Tyler BMW but Tyler Mercedes was calling me everyday and I could tell their sales were not exactly booming for German cars in East Texas.

If you really want to go far out the dealers in the New York city area are the most agressive on price. They are competing with 50 or 60 dealers in the metro area compared to 4 here in DFW. They also seem to have much larger allocations then dealers in the middle in the country. If you are building a car from the factory you can order the car from one dealer and have it delivered to another. I found this out years ago when I was in the middle of relocating. There is an additional charge from the dealer the car is being delivered too but that fee is set by BMW. The selling dealer usually confirms the receiving dealer is willing to do the delivery. I think most are since they are paid by BMW.

That might also get your local dealer to bend a little on the price if they know you are shopping out of town.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 12:18 AM   #6
NoClosedDoors
Metal Mover
Rep
Drives: Demo Car

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatRyan View Post
It depends how far you want to go to get a deal. Maybe the dealer 5 miles away from you is selling everything at MSRP or above but every BMW dealer in the country is not selling everything at MSRP.

For example if your in the DFW area, try Tyler. And start with the sales manager or the general manager. I didn't have much luck at Tyler BMW but Tyler Mercedes was calling me everyday and I could tell their sales were not exactly booming for German cars in East Texas.

If you really want to go far out the dealers in the New York city area are the most agressive on price. They are competing with 50 or 60 dealers in the metro area compared to 4 here in DFW. They also seem to have much larger allocations then dealers in the middle in the country. If you are building a car from the factory you can order the car from one dealer and have it delivered to another. I found this out years ago when I was in the middle of relocating. There is an additional charge from the dealer the car is being delivered too but that fee is set by BMW. The selling dealer usually confirms the receiving dealer is willing to do the delivery. I think most are since they are paid by BMW.

That might also get your local dealer to bend a little on the price if they know you are shopping out of town.
DFW market is wrecked still. Some stores may deal on X5 (a shit ton got dumped on Texas dealers recently so that’s the flavor of the month) but don’t expect a deal on a sedan (especially a LCI 3er) until allocation throughout normalizes past the MY changeover.

Courtesy delivery is exceedingly rare and a lot of dealers won’t agree to it in today’s market. Maybe that softens down the road (and maybe we get docusign across the board too) but for now that’s the exception and not the rule.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #7
TomcatRyan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 430 convertible, Merc C300

I agree with you on the DFW area dealers. Not to get into a long story but after buying 2 cars from Autobarn we were really treated like shit negotiating a 3rd purchase. Sales manager and General manager never bothered returning my calls.

Sales person at Autonation never got back with me, I guess you have to beg them to sell you a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #8
RdRacer301
Rep
Drives: MY22 340ix Sunset Orange/Oys

While not is DFW area, can confirm that you can pick up MY22 M340 below MSRP at this time on the east coast. Compare market MY21/22 CPOs prices and you'll likely realize that many dealers that took in trade-ins in the past 6-12mons are SOL, especially with the MY23s coming and more-than-expected finance/lease defaults in this market. About 3 weeks ago, I was in the market for a 21/22 CPO and realize that the price difference just did not make sense opposed to the new one in the showroom. I also found that the dealership was more willing to negotiate with the new model rather than the CPO--presumably because they paid too much for the trade-in.
2005 STi Stg.2 (track - old build journal)
1988 FC RX7 10th Anniv. Ed. (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 12:55 AM   #9
NoClosedDoors
Metal Mover
Rep
Drives: Demo Car

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRacer301 View Post
While not is DFW area, can confirm that you can pick up MY22 M340 below MSRP at this time on the east coast. Compare market MY21/22 CPOs prices and you'll likely realize that many dealers that took in trade-ins in the past 6-12mons are SOL, especially with the MY23s coming and more-than-expected finance/lease defaults in this market. About 3 weeks ago, I was in the market for a 21/22 CPO and realize that the price difference just did not make sense opposed to the new one in the showroom. I also found that the dealership was more willing to negotiate with the new model rather than the CPO--presumably because they paid too much for the trade-in.
Possible in Texas if you know the right people. ☺️
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 11:54 PM   #10
Sandpiper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2222222 View Post
How did you negotiate down? Like how did you ask for a lower price? Because when I ask they always say inventory is non-existent and there is no wiggle-room for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #11
rmedina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post

• 1% over MSRP

Yup.. This is why I ended up ordering mine from BMW of Austin..
Appreciate 0