Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Three out of four lights replaced now!

10-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
Vilus
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Three out of four lights replaced now!

Starting to fall out of love with my G20. It's OK for the most part. Needed both headlights replaced under warranty (visibility pack). The bill for this would have been about £1800 each according to the service advisor.

Then last week got an offside rear indicator failure check message after heavy rainfall last week.
Visual check showed condensation inside the cluster.

Rang BMW. Advised as it is now 3.5 years old that it was not BMW's issue! Enthusiastically informed me also that the BMW insurance based warranty was no use as it does not cover 'water ingress'.

Didn't argue the point as I have a £250 excess on my warranty. Instead ordered a pre-used unit from Ebay for £100. Fitted in about 30 minutes. All working fine.

In nearly forty years of motoring I have never have never had issues with lights, save the odd bulb replacement. G20 has had 3 of 4 sealed plastic light clusters replaced and it's only just 3.5 years old. Seriously thinking about going back to Mercedes!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/K4h5CcsFWak
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Is that right? I had a quick re-check of my insured warranty terms (comprehensive) and it doesn't mention water ingress as an exclusion?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

I’ve just extended my wife’s Audi warranty cover and it actually states that a warranty claim for a component damaged through water ingress IS covered.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 03:49 PM   #4
Vilus
Rep

The point of my post, as is the poor quality of BMW components having replaced 3 out of 4 lights on a newish car.

Whether or not it would have been covered under warranty I did not bother to get into as I had no intention claiming having decided to fix it myself for less than half the cost of my warranty excess. BMW wanted £150 diagnosis fee to confirm the problem was a light cluster half full of water!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 03:11 AM   #5
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Got through several rear light clusters on my F30 due to condensation/ water ingress. Always replaced without issue, including under extended warranty as I recall…..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 05:58 AM   #6
user1811
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Just out of interest, do you use pressure washers on the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 06:18 AM   #7
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Stevie View Post
Got through several rear light clusters on my F30 due to condensation/ water ingress. Always replaced without issue, including under extended warranty as I recall…..
Yep, same here, had a headlight on my 1 series replaced under warranty due to excessive condensation.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
Vilus
Rep

Yes I do normally use a pressure washer, however I do try not to spray directly around the areas vulnerable to leaks such as parking sensors, lights and door/boot seal.

I haven't used it in several months. The latest leak was in the top corner where it meets the boot lid.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:20 AM   #9
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think the bigger point is, you need to change your dealer!
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 07:46 AM   #10
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilus View Post
The point of my post, as is the poor quality of BMW components having replaced 3 out of 4 lights on a newish car.

Whether or not it would have been covered under warranty I did not bother to get into as I had no intention claiming having decided to fix it myself for less than half the cost of my warranty excess. BMW wanted £150 diagnosis fee to confirm the problem was a light cluster half full of water!
Exactly.

If it was the first occurrence, and out of the warranty period I might understand their position.

But the fact that 3/4 have had to be replaced ( and likely all from the same production batches) clearly shows that their is a systemic issue with those parts. As such, they really should be giving you more leeway on it. I would push this further
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #11
Bri888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramparts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilus View Post

Exactly.

If it was the first occurrence, and out of the warranty period I might understand their position.

But the fact that 3/4 have had to be replaced ( and likely all from the same production batches) clearly shows that their is a systemic issue with those parts. As such, they really should be giving you more leeway on it. I would push this further
Threads like this really concern me having the Laser lights. Anyone know if it's common to need replaced or just the fact I'm looking for it on forums?! £1800 each for a headlight is madness.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 12:04 PM   #12
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri888 View Post
Threads like this really concern me having the Laser lights. Anyone know if it's common to need replaced or just the fact I'm looking for it on forums?! £1800 each for a headlight is madness.
Not had a problem with mine and it's not far off 4 yrs old!
Appreciate 1
Bri8885.00