Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum M340i ordered with all-season runflats

03-08-2023, 11:58 AM   #23
Dairdevyld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman8 View Post
Most people will never push the car to the limits that would actually require the additional cooling. As for the tires, some of us I gather just aren't into the "high performance" aspect of this vehicle while others are. Very, very few will ever push this car that far. For me this will simply be a daily driver with some kick, also I really wanted the spare (this was important) as we drive long stretches at a time in somewhat remote areas. Not a money issue here, just not practical enough.
Interesting. I figured most people who opted for the M340 over the 330 did it for performance so it just seems like it would make sense to check every performance box, unless money were really the issue. The spare tire point is a new thought though. It makes sense that might deter someone.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 02:27 PM   #24
monkeyman8
Monkeyman8
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340ix, 2024 M8 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairdevyld View Post
Interesting. I figured most people who opted for the M340 over the 330 did it for performance so it just seems like it would make sense to check every performance box, unless money were really the issue. The spare tire point is a new thought though. It makes sense that might deter someone.
Also to note, I think the six cylinder also plays much into this. My sister has a 2021 m340 and the only reason she went this way was because of the cylinder count, she came from a 335. She has no idea what she has I suspect there are many like her out there.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 09:23 PM   #25
siddsbmw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Most people will never push the car to the limits that would actually require the additional cooling. As for the tires, some of us I gather just aren't into the "high performance" aspect of this vehicle while others are. Very, very few will ever push this car that far. For me this will simply be a daily driver with some kick, also I really wanted the spare (this was important) as we drive long stretches at a time in somewhat remote areas. Not a money issue here, just not practical enough.
This is exactly my position too. I want a daily with some pep, but I’m never going to be tracking or racing this car. I do occasionally take road trips and I ordered the spare too. The last thing I need is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting on a tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 07:58 AM   #26
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

My guess is that most folks don’t buy the high performance package because it’s a relatively expensive option and they can’t envision a scenario where they might need it. They are on a budget, and would rather buy HK stereo or a wireless charger that they will use every day.

Also, unless you are working with other people in a discussion forum like this, most BMW salesmen are more used to discussing the merits of Sensatec vs. leather than the merits of staggered vs. square tires and other performance choices.

I also think the M340i may be chosen by some because it sounds weak to spend that much on a car and only get a 4 cylinder engine. They have no idea how powerful the 330 is, but buying a 4 cylinder sounds like it’s an just another economy car.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 03:54 PM   #27
Dairdevyld
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
My guess is that most folks don’t buy the high performance package because it’s a relatively expensive option and they can’t envision a scenario where they might need it. They are on a budget, and would rather buy HK stereo or a wireless charger that they will use every day.

Also, unless you are working with other people in a discussion forum like this, most BMW salesmen are more used to discussing the merits of Sensatec vs. leather than the merits of staggered vs. square tires and other performance choices.

I also think the M340i may be chosen by some because it sounds weak to spend that much on a car and only get a 4 cylinder engine. They have no idea how powerful the 330 is, but buying a 4 cylinder sounds like it’s an just another economy car.
This is surprising to me. For as much as the M340 is over a 330 and especially if you're spec'ing and ordering it seemed odd to me that someone wouldn't know or research all the options for the car, especially if they found their way to this forum. $2,400 is a lot, but if you're paying the extra 10-20 grand to go from a 330 to an M340 what's another $2,400?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 09:08 AM   #28
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
Or in the case of me, at the time the only way to get DAPP or PAP was to get the M340i, as at the time it was not possible for the 2023 MY to get those on the 330i.

Also a similarly spec’d to mine 330i post Jan MSRP (now with DAPP and PAP) is only 3,000 less at MSRP than my M340i after my awesome deal and incentives which cut the price before taxes down to 62,620 from an MSRP of 67,270. Thats versus a fully loaded 330i xDrive at MSRP currently at 59,770. Likewise, my sales guy gave was giving me less off a 330i than an m340i.

Ultimately, it was a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 01:35 AM   #29
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Just a quick observation. My observation is that dealers ordering square, all season tire setups increased significantly with the F3x as xDrive became much more common and popular. Also, it seems in conjunction with that is when BMW began offering square wheel setups with the same style of wheels that previously had only been available with a staggered setup. For instance, with the F3x M Sport pkg you could get style 400M or even style 403M wheels as a square setup, where in the past a sport pkg would automatically come with a staggered setup. So, in the past you could tell whether a car had staggered wheels (and therefore performance tires) just by looking at the style of the wheels. That change meant you could no longer tell just from a cursory look at the wheels whether they were staggered or not and whether the car had performance tires or not. Also, as xDrive became more common and popular it became evident that the majority of buyers didn’t care whether their car had the 704 sport suspension, because lots of M Sport xDrives were sold. And by default xDrive was equipped with a square, all season setup. That wasn’t a requirement, but you had to make a conscious choice to tick the staggered, performance tire box to get that setup with xDrive and that didn’t happen very often. Still, from my observation, it was relatively common for sport suspension RWD F3x’s to be equipped with staggered, performance tires. Even those ordered by dealers to be sold off the lot. What I have observed with the G20 is that it has become much more common (almost the default) for dealers to order RWD sport suspension cars (mostly the M340i, obviously) with a square, all season tire setup. Since the style of wheels no longer give away whether the car has a square, all season setup or a staggered, performance tire setup lots more “enthusiast” type buyers end up buying a car with a square, all season setup without realizing it until the deed is done. In the past if you bought a sport pkg car (RWD in particular) it was almost the rule that you would get a staggered, performance tire setup, now it has become almost the exception.

(maybe that wasn’t so quick )
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-13-2023, 11:49 AM   #30
Dairdevyld
Private First Class
Rep

I imagine it's cheaper to fit cars with a square setup which is why it's the default setup. I also imagine most buyers see Performance Run-Flats and assume that's the most performance-focused option.

Also, probably depends where/how you're ordering. If you build online and bring your configuration to a dealer you're more likely to see all the options.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 12:14 PM   #31
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairdevyld View Post
I imagine it's cheaper to fit cars with a square setup which is why it's the default setup. I also imagine most buyers see Performance Run-Flats and assume that's the most performance-focused option.

Also, probably depends where/how you're ordering. If you build online and bring your configuration to a dealer you're more likely to see all the options.
It’s slightly more expensive for BMW to build with staggered, performance tires, but there’s no up charge in the MSRP or the invoice. As noted, most buyers don’t notice the tires until after they get home. The M340i is the most powerful car BMW has produced that has routinely been equipped with 225, all season tires on the rear.

In the U.S. relatively few buyers order. The vast majority buy from dealer inventory.

03-14-2023, 01:19 PM   #32
Dairdevyld
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
In the U.S. relatively few buyers order. The vast majority buy from dealer inventory.
I think this was true in the past, but I think this has changed in the past 2-3 years, especially with cars like M340i's. Unless you're buying used, I don't know if there are M340's just sitting for buyers. My dealer specifically said every M340 (and most of the 3 series sales) over the past few years have been orders.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 11:16 AM   #33
jayh748
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with above. While I didn't realize my build with the all season run flats would have the 130 mph limit, I'm also not too put out by it. (Same with forgoing the cooling package.) As perfectly stated above, this will be my "daily driver with some kick" so I'm more interested in the acceleration than the top speed, and sadly, can't go with summer tires because the weather here often sucks.

My bigger concern will be if ride quality is overly harmed by the run flats. I've read many different perspectives. Of course, I'm expecting (and wanting) a firmer ride, but hoping the run flats don't make it too much firm with no gain.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 01:18 PM   #34
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayh748 View Post
I agree with above. While I didn't realize my build with the all season run flats would have the 130 mph limit, I'm also not too put out by it. (Same with forgoing the cooling package.) As perfectly stated above, this will be my "daily driver with some kick" so I'm more interested in the acceleration than the top speed, and sadly, can't go with summer tires because the weather here often sucks.

My bigger concern will be if ride quality is overly harmed by the run flats. I've read many different perspectives. Of course, I'm expecting (and wanting) a firmer ride, but hoping the run flats don't make it too much firm with no gain.
Sure you can. It just requires a little work. Summer tires mid-April - mid-November and winter tires for the winter. I’ve been doing it on RWD 3ers for over eleven years.

03-30-2023, 04:32 PM   #35
jayh748
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Sure you can. It just requires a little work. Summer tires mid-April - mid-November and winter tires for the winter. I’ve been doing it on RWD 3ers for over eleven years.
Yep. Except I’m very lazy. :-) Seriously, I thought about that approach but I’m good with any performance trade offs in exchange for a little less work.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 06:35 PM   #36
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

^ then just get a good set of AS tires... There are plenty that offer great summer performance and the decent cold weather grips.

The main issue is not AS tires, it is Run-Flat all season tires.

Just buy a spare from Ebay and throw in the trunk whenever you are taking a long trip. It will work better, safer and more efficient than any run flat capability they are claiming.

For OP, you can code put the limiter but i dont expect the dealer to do it for you.
Per BMW, the limiter is set because of the tires. If the dealer code it out for you with square all seasons runflat, that is directly against BMW's instructions.
But we all know M340i can hit 150 with any of the tires that BMW is currently offering now without the limiter.

I once hit 145 in Mexico. TBH, it didnt even take too much effort.

More reasons for you to spend $$. Pretty straight forward marketing strategy.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 03-30-2023 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 08:42 AM   #37
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Here's the build sheet from my 2023 M340i xDrive showing no extra cooling option and performance runflats. You can see the option 840 is there for increased top speed limiter. That should answer this question...

04-05-2023, 12:21 PM   #38
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

As long as you have the "performance" tires (AKA summer tires), runflat or not, you will have increased limiter. That has been the case since forever ago on previous Gens.

The moment you add all seasons, that is the when the limiter is set.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 02:51 PM   #39
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
As long as you have the "performance" tires (AKA summer tires), runflat or not, you will have increased limiter. That has been the case since forever ago on previous Gens.

The moment you add all seasons, that is the when the limiter is set.
Just to clarify. This applies to the factory order. The limiter is set at the factory based on the tires the car was ordered with. Changing to summer, performance tires after the car is built and received will not allow the limiter to be changed.

04-15-2023, 12:41 PM   #40
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

OP I feel your pain, when I found out about the speed limiter I was very upset and my car was about to be delivered. Had I known I would have gone with the performance tires but I needed winter tires, so I just planned to do that at a later date. So I’m stuck with the all season run flats and the speed limiter. The dealership couldn’t change it.

That’s said, I’ve gotten nowhere near the 130 limit (and I drive quick) and there are no tracks in Michigan, which is where I live, that would allow me to get past 130 so it’s not much of an issue.

I promise you, you will be happy with the car. Now, if you live somewhere where you can easily get up to 150 without trouble then that’s another issue.

Also, is there truly a way to adjust the speed limiter through this bimmer code?
Appreciate 0