Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Android Auto

02-22-2022, 10:19 PM   #155
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

If you don't have touchscreen, Android Auto is a pest you are much better off without. I got my car a few weeks ago, and I'm beyond frustrated with AA. It automatically launches as soon as you connect to Bluetooth; it's buggy and navigating the menus is a nightmare. You can't really use your phone as everything gets disabled on your phone. The quickest way to disconnect is to disable Bluetooth which of course disconnects your music, phone calls, etc. I wish I had a time mashineee so I could go back in time and not buy my stupid car.

If I could get it to stop disabling the phone functions, I could survive but this whole business of making the roads safer by annoying the crap out of drivers makes me wanna drive my car right through the offices of BMW, Samsung, and health and safety a** wipes, and their lawyers.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #156
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
If you don't have touchscreen, Android Auto is a pest you are much better off without. I got my car a few weeks ago, and I'm beyond frustrated with AA. It automatically launches as soon as you connect to Bluetooth; it's buggy and navigating the menus is a nightmare. You can't really use your phone as everything gets disabled on your phone. The quickest way to disconnect is to disable Bluetooth which of course disconnects your music, phone calls, etc. I wish I had a time mashineee so I could go back in time and not buy my stupid car.

If I could get it to stop disabling the phone functions, I could survive but this whole business of making the roads safer by annoying the crap out of drivers makes me wanna drive my car right through the offices of BMW, Samsung, and health and safety a** wipes, and their lawyers.
Apart from typing in an address, I think the control knob lets you get around AA just fine. Turn the wheel to move between items in an app or menu, push left/right to move between menus. Obviously a step below just tapping a screen in terms of intuitiveness, but not bad once you get used to it. Have you tried playing around with it while parked? Any specific examples of issues "navigating the menus?"

If you just want to disable AA, these two options should do:

1. Go into AA settings on your phone and disable Wireless AA (might be in Developer settings).
2. Turn off Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth.

3? If you go to your saved Wi-Fi networks (or while connected) and forget the DIRECT-BMW ##### network, that may prevent it from auto-connecting in the future. I'm not 100% sure about this one. It might just auto-connect when paired via Bluetooth.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 02:24 AM   #157
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The most annoying issue is that you can't zoom in and out on Google maps using the wheel. You have to use the +/- buttons on the bottom right of the map. Entering addresses is a headache too. I usually park the car and try to use Google maps on the phone to enter the address, but the darn thing disables Google Maps on the phone as soon as you are connected to AA.
To me it seems like AA is designed to be used with touchscreen and without it, it's a half baked product that ends up being a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 05:57 AM   #158
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
PVC ,

Agree AA is not as well implemented as it could be!

I had AA come on automatically also & it seemed like AA was turned on twice.I found the following which fixed the problem for me; in my phone (Samsung S21+), I selected: SETTINGS, ADVANCED FEATURES, ANDROID AUTO, START ANDROID AUTO AUTOMATICALLY, DEFAULT (SET BY CAR).

Hope that helps resolve one of your AA problems!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
PVC154.50
      02-28-2022, 01:12 AM   #159
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
PVC ,

Agree AA is not as well implemented as it could be!

I had AA come on automatically also & it seemed like AA was turned on twice.I found the following which fixed the problem for me; in my phone (Samsung S21+), I selected: SETTINGS, ADVANCED FEATURES, ANDROID AUTO, START ANDROID AUTO AUTOMATICALLY, DEFAULT (SET BY CAR).

Hope that helps resolve one of your AA problems!
I'll try it out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #160
kmershly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus, Nissan and a GMC

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Question for you all, I do not know if it is a bug or not, but do any of you have two entries in "Previously Connected Cars" for your BMW?

I have added and removed my phone a few times and each and every time two entries appear for my car.

I have used Android Auto in various rental cars (Ford, Cadillac, Hyundai, VW) and none of them produce two entries in my previously connected cars section of the Android Auto settings.

See attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 08:08 PM   #161
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
kmershly ,

As a matter, I have two connected cars (both my car) and can't figure out why

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 09:40 PM   #162
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
The most annoying issue is that you can't zoom in and out on Google maps using the wheel. You have to use the +/- buttons on the bottom right of the map. Entering addresses is a headache too. I usually park the car and try to use Google maps on the phone to enter the address, but the darn thing disables Google Maps on the phone as soon as you are connected to AA.
To me it seems like AA is designed to be used with touchscreen and without it, it's a half baked product that ends up being a pain in the ass.
Ah, I haven't tried Google maps on AA since I use Waze. I don't recall apps being disabled on my phone when connected to AA, but that could have changed with an update or be phone or manufacturer related or whatnot.

Also, have you tried voice commands via the microphone button on the wheel (or "OK Google")? Short press = BMW assistant; long press = Google. You can start navigation, launch apps, dictate text messages, etc. I forgot to mention this since I avoid using voice commands (hate having my music interrupted), but it works quite well.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 11:47 AM   #163
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

it might have been mentioned but if i may please ask

- can i play youtube on the android auto? trying to find a way to stream video without screen mirror (screen mirror uses about half the available screen!)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 05:33 PM   #164
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Ah, I haven't tried Google maps on AA since I use Waze. I don't recall apps being disabled on my phone when connected to AA
Actually the very app you mention (Waze) is disabled on your phone when connected to AA.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 10:59 PM   #165
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Ah, I haven't tried Google maps on AA since I use Waze. I don't recall apps being disabled on my phone when connected to AA, but that could have changed with an update or be phone or manufacturer related or whatnot.

Also, have you tried voice commands via the microphone button on the wheel (or "OK Google")? Short press = BMW assistant; long press = Google. You can start navigation, launch apps, dictate text messages, etc. I forgot to mention this since I avoid using voice commands (hate having my music interrupted), but it works quite well.
I am not a big fan. I usually turn all those things off on all my devices, and it's not a terrible idea to disable them on your car too. If it wasn't for "hands free" driving, I wouldn't connect my phone to my car...a computer on wheels with minimal security updates & always connected to the web.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 04:42 PM   #166
RGH
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 (B9)/BMW M340i(G21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolMoeDee View Post
So interpret this as the following:

New BMWs or at least certain new models have a new chip in them in which there are currently software issues, system bugs or compatibility problems which will be resolved with a software update in the future.

Untill then, the features tied to this chip are removed.
Really hope this is my issue and not that I didn't spec a WiFi hotspot or something silly. Not sure why BMW didn't just go with cabled AA/CP support as it works fine with others and uses less battery doing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 02:46 AM   #167
Chepelin
Romania
Rep
Drives: 320d E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone1008 View Post
Actually the very app you mention (Waze) is disabled on your phone when connected to AA.

Did you solve your issue? If yes, what was the issue?
Your waze application is allowed to be used by AA ?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 12:07 AM   #168
Sandpiper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

For the LCI version, is AA/CarPlay available through USB (wired)? Or is it wireless only?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #169
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
For the LCI version, is AA/CarPlay available through USB (wired)? Or is it wireless only?
Still only wireless
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 04:08 PM   #170
Sandpiper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramparts View Post
Still only wireless
That is ridiculous! Wired is more secure, less noise/interference, and faster. Not sure why they made that decision. Hopefully they push out an update to allow through USB.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 05:32 PM   #171
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
That is ridiculous! Wired is more secure, less noise/interference, and faster. Not sure why they made that decision. Hopefully they push out an update to allow through USB.
Not likely to happen IMO..it's Google all driven and they are focussing on wireless...
Since the latest version of the AA Phone App 8.4 I have had zero issues with wireless..my phone is a Google Pixel 5... I know other makes of phones do have some issues but that's because the other manufacturers take quite a few months to implement the Google fixes
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 05:46 AM   #172
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Not had any issues with wireless either. No noise or interference and it's quite snappy in response. In terms of security, do you mean in terms of sniffing the packets between the phone and the headunit?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #173
Sandpiper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdino View Post
Not had any issues with wireless either. No noise or interference and it's quite snappy in response. In terms of security, do you mean in terms of sniffing the packets between the phone and the headunit?
Yeah, anyone near you can sniff the packets. Even if it is encrypted it's still a risk as they can eventually crack it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 05:47 PM   #174
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, anyone near you can sniff the packets. Even if it is encrypted it's still a risk as they can eventually crack it.
Well not anyone .it requires equipment. And as you are usually moving when using 5Ghz WiFi on AA, the chances of someone being within range for enough time to faff around sniffing packets is very very unlikely. IMO, not a concern at all
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 04:30 AM   #175
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
More likely for that to happen when you are using your smartphone at home or at public places on WiFi. Unless you never use it and are 100% on Ethernet.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 12:35 PM   #176
cipherzero9
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive, Corvette C8

Still trying to get mine to work, android auto does not appear in my app list.

2020 M340i, Bought the car a week ago. Brought into dealer for recall work on Friday.

They updated idrive from 2019 to 11/2022.44. When navigating to my apps I only see Carplay. My phone (s22 Ultra) shows the car as "wireless android auto available" under android auto page. My phone is paired via bluetooth with all permissions enabled. I have tried:

- Resetting idrive by holding in volume for 30sec
- Refreshing app list via hitting options button
- Driving for 30min then turning off car

Is there something else I can try or am I stuck waiting for something else to be pushed to my car?
Appreciate 0