Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications DME Tuning Stage 1 review 2019 330i G20

05-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #23
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
I've been lurking this thread too many times today for initial feedback on the Dinan ��
I got the tuned DME back, and installed it easy, but I'm going to have to hold off on a review for a bit until I resolve another problem. I'm really not too sure if it's an issue with the tune or with my car.

The sport display is confirming peaks of 305 HP, and 350 TQ, and the car sounds great - much louder, and IMO great tone, but I did a couple of 0-60 and 60-80 runs, and I was surprised the car really doesn't feel much faster. I tried some unofficial timings, and the acceleration seems the same. ~5.3 second (0-60), and 3.4ish sec 60-80 MPH - so traction doesn't seem to be the problem. No MISFIRES, by the way. Even stranger, the throttle response seems to have gotten a little bit worse than stock. Under light throttle application and there is very little reaction from the car.

Again, I really don't think it's an issue with the tune, mainly because of the fact the gauges are confirming higher output.
I tried to work out the problem, with my limited experience, and could only come up with a few possible explanations:

1) The tune is actually achieving the higher hp/tq peaks , but the power/torque increase isn't being applied with consistency

2) The transmission is in some type of (partial?) limp mode (maybe related to my previous tune with DME Tuning) and is preventing from the application of power to the rear wheels.

3) Heat soak?

4) Exhaust leak(s)?

I talked to Dinan, and they will provide some feedback hopefully today or tomorrow. If any of you have any feedback or suggestions, please share !!!
any updates to share?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #24
ztech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
any updates to share?
I did confirm 25.6 pounds of boost peaks (over 20 psi stock), via Bimmerlink. I figure it must be the timing that is being pulled back. I am going to read/clear the codes via Ista+, late today, and see if that resolves the issue. I'm hoping it's not a knock issue.

Last edited by ztech; 05-02-2022 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 12:15 PM   #25
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Keep in mind the Dinan tune is fairly mild. I would not expect a night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 12:49 PM   #26
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Keep in mind the Dinan tune is fairly mild. I would not expect a night and day difference.
Dinan quotes 52hp/55tq CRANK, 44hp/47tq WHEEL. With 286hp/331tq at the wheel (323HP/359TQ crank), I would expect sub 5-second 0-60 times. Right now, my my runs return similar 0-60 and 60-80 as stock numbers.

Last edited by ztech; 05-02-2022 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #27
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Dinan quotes 52hp/55tq CRANK, 44hp/47tq WHEEL. With 286hp/331tq at the wheel (323HP/359TQ crank), I would expect sub 5-second 0-60 times. Right now, my my runs return similar 0-60 and 60-80 as stock numbers.
Agreed. Car should be ballpark with VipinLJ numbers. Their tune puts the car at 315 hp, 350 tq on even the 91 tune. Then the 93 is slightly higher than that. It should be a noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 03:52 PM   #28
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed. Car should be ballpark with VipinLJ numbers. Their tune puts the car at 315 hp, 350 tq on even the 91 tune. Then the 93 is slightly higher than that. It should be a noticeable difference.
Yep, the first day I had the tune with DME tuning, the thing was a blast to drive. Much much quicker, and smoother. And I remember my tuned Audi A4 felt very similar, with 311hp/330tq, and was hitting ~4.6 seconds 0-60.

I talked to a local shop and I will get in next Wednesday to have the tune diagnosed to determine the issue, and dynoed, as Dinan requested. The shop tech suggested it may be a pressure leak somewhere. But either today or tomorrow I will read the codes with ISTA+, and see if it gives me info that Bimmerlink may have not picked up.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 08:21 AM   #29
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
I cleared the fault memory with ISTA (Sunroof code/Headunit code), and no luck. The car still feels bone stock. I've asked a few techs/tuners and there weren't many suggestions. A couple said the stock intake might be restricting performance, but the B46 DINAN tune is designed to work with stock components. Another tech said there may be a boost leak somewhere. I'm really not sure where to start.....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #30
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I cleared the fault memory with ISTA (Sunroof code/Headunit code), and no luck. The car still feels bone stock. I've asked a few techs/tuners and there weren't many suggestions. A couple said the stock intake might be restricting performance, but the B46 DINAN tune is designed to work with stock components. Another tech said there may be a boost leak somewhere. I'm really not sure where to start.....
I'd ask Dinan_Engineering to provide some baseline Dragy #s just to see if you're in the ballpark of what their development car is doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #31
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd ask Dinan_Engineering to provide some baseline Dragy #s just to see if you're in the ballpark of what their development car is doing.
Thanks. Dinan asked me to send in the Dragy and dyno numbers too, but I would just hate to spend another ~$250 (~$150 dragy, ~$100 dyno), half the price of the Dinan tune, only to find out the problem is with is with my car - not the tune. Especially, when it's so obvious to me the car isn't making more power:

https://youtube.com/shorts/n4iBJEJTbK0?feature=share

Last edited by ztech; 05-05-2022 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #32
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
With the DME tuned, after the first two days, the car reverted back to stock. When I took it to the shop, I watched the tech put fresh plugs in, clear a couple of unrelated codes were cleared from INSTA, and the car was making tuned power again, for like 700 miles of driving. Maybe the old tune was burning up the plugs too fast?

I just talked to Dinan again, and they are requesting a video of 3rd gear pulls, and any sensor log data I can get.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:57 PM   #33
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You are not alone in having issues with the Dinan flash. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811576
Appreciate 1
ztech132.00
      05-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #34
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So Dinan_Engineering , are there any happy customers with the latest flash releases for the B series engine? Or is it only a matter of time until these are pulled from the market until they can be revised?

I was really looking forward to going this route but looks like I will need to hold off until some issues can be resolved
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #35
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So Dinan_Engineering , are there any happy customers with the latest flash releases for the B series engine? Or is it only a matter of time until these are pulled from the market until they can be revised?

I was really looking forward to going this route but looks like I will need to hold off until some issues can be resolved
Such a small market as a whole for the G series B series flashes with the whole locked DME issue. Can probably count the number of Dinan flash customers on G series B series on one or two hands.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 09:08 AM   #36
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Quote:
Such a small market as a whole for the G series B series flashes with the whole locked DME issue. Can probably count the number of Dinan flash customers on G series B series on one or two hands.
njfoses is correct in that there isnt a whole lot of flashes out there on the G chassis B46/B58 engines as the coverage is extremely limited (1 year) and frankly most people don't want to send in their DME which is completely understandable. That said, they are out there, even if in limited quantities, and haven't had an issue. Apparently none of those few are forum goer's or like to leave reviews or anything but alas. Regardless, no, there is no intention of pulling the product as a result of this one instance where there MAY be a tune issue. Ultimately have to give the support team and the customer time to work through the process.

From our end its the exact same box code and everything as our in house vehicle so should carry no surprises and the car is showing the modified sport gauges which would indicate the tune is present. From the bimmerlink data mentioned previsouly it appears it is commanding more boost in comparison to stock as well. Once we have some more data that was requested we should be able to formulate a better idea of what may be happening but it could simply be a boost leak or something similar as well. Working to figure out what may be the culprit but need data to work with to make those conclusions or else its just spitting out an endless list of "maybe it's..."

As far as the other earlier linked thread goes -- that's an F chassis B58 from a year ago where the dealer ultimately never loaded the tune so it really doesn't pertain to anything here. Its the same flash as the handheld that does have some reviews posted though -- just minus the need for the dealer to be involved.
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      05-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #37
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
njfoses is correct in that there isnt a whole lot of flashes out there on the G chassis B46/B58 engines as the coverage is extremely limited (1 year) and frankly most people don't want to send in their DME which is completely understandable.
Dinan_Engineering How is the development of the flash tune & exhaust for G20 B48/46 going, any updates?
      05-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #38
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
Dinan_Engineering How is the development of the flash tune & exhaust for G20 B48/46 going, any updates?
Flash tune would ultimately be the same/similar as what is being discussed here -- just 21+ has the encryption issue which is ongoing. Being worked on but nothing to report.

Exhaust is coming. Until we physically have them boxed up and ready to ship though I avoid speculation as to when. Bites me every time otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2022, 08:55 PM   #39
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
OK. I just logged about 1/2 hour of highway driving, with various parameters. I think it actually is actually my plugs (again).

Take a look at the discrepancy between cylinder # 2 plug (highlighted in red) and the other plugs, under acceleration. Cylinder# 2 plug is consistently showing a higher voltage than the other plugs, which begins to be evident, anything over 2500 RPM. At higher RPMs the voltage difference, between #2 plug, and the other plugs increases even more.
It may have been that it was misgapped when I had them replaced. It's likely the Dinan tune recognizes this anomaly through direct sensor readings, or knock feedback, and pulls back the timing for safety. Or maybe the root of the problem is a bad coil on #2, putting out too much voltage.

I will have to plugs replaced either tomorrow, or more likely Sunday, and keep everyone up to date.
Attached Images

Last edited by ztech; 05-07-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 04:15 PM   #40
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Smile

So there is good news and bad news. The good news is for all of you, waiting for a good DME flash tune through Dinan or DME Tuning. The bad news is for me.

I took the day off and got the spark plugs changed at a local shop, on my suspicion that the plugs were the culprit. I turned the car on and the Dinan tune, had obviously kicked in. I noticed the gain in acceleration immediately, as the car was accelerating with much more ease, as expected from the added power/torque. Much more fun to drive. I ran Bimmerlink logs and the car is making boost. I recorded a max of 24.1 PSI, but I did not floor the car all the way, as I was still cautious of the outcome of the new plugs. With my eye on the spark voltages, everything seemed fine, until I started to give the car throttle more aggressively. As I stabbed the throttle to 3/4ths and got the engine into the high RPM range, I realized the same #2 plug voltage was still showing a positive discrepancy between the other plugs. Unfortunately, it's (kind of) not the plugs that are at the root of my problem. Fortunately, I think I've pinned down the problem.

At the shop, I remembered to ask for my old plugs back and what I saw on the back end of spark plug #2, was a gunk of contrasting, black, greasy material. It doesn't look like the usual clear dielectric grease. The source of this material is likely at the inner end of the coil plug for #2. Somehow this dark greasy material must have made it into the coil nozzle, and must be coating the back end of my #2 spark plugs. This quite possibly results in a higher voltage being necessarily applied, to jump the gap in the plug. Quite possibly, but lets hope this my final surprise with my car.

If cleaning the inside of the coil and back end of the spark plug is easy, than someone please me tips on how to do it !!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by ztech; 05-07-2022 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      05-07-2022, 06:45 PM   #41
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So there is good news and bad news. The good news is for all of you, waiting for a good DME flash tune through Dinan or DME Tuning. The bad news is for me.

I took the day off and got the spark plugs changed at a local shop, on my suspicion that the plugs were the culprit. I turned the car on and the Dinan tune, had obviously kicked in. I noticed the gain in acceleration immediately, as the car was accelerating with much more ease, as expected from the added power/torque. Much more fun to drive. I ran Bimmerlink logs and the car is making boost. I recorded a max of 24.1 PSI, but I did not floor the car all the way, as I was still cautious of the outcome of the new plugs. With my eye on the spark voltages, everything seemed fine, until I started to give the car throttle more aggressively. As I stabbed the throttle to 3/4ths and got the engine into the high RPM range, I realized the same #2 plug voltage was still showing a positive discrepancy between the other plugs. Unfortunately, it's (kind of) not the plugs that are at the root of my problem. Fortunately, I think I've pinned down the problem.

At the shop, I remembered to ask for my old plugs back and what I saw on the back end of spark plug #2, was a clearly contrasting black greasy material. The source of this material is likely at the inner end of the coil for #2. Somehow this dark greasy material must have made it into the coil nozzle, and must be coating the back end of my #2 spark plugs. This quite possibly results in a higher voltage being necessarily applied, to jump the gap in the plug. Quite possibly, but lets hope this my final surprise with my car.

If cleaning the inside of the coil and back end of the spark plug is easy, than someone please me tips on how to do it !!!!!!!!!

If i were you I would find a reputable local BMW shop to diagnose. No reason to be having all the plug issues you are having.
Appreciate 1
ztech132.00
      05-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #42
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
If i were you I would find a reputable local BMW shop to diagnose. No reason to be having all the plug issues you are having.
My next step would have done just that, if cleaning the coil/plug doesn't work. But I might not even bother with cleaning. The Dinan tune has held up over 6 hours of additional driving, with multiple WOT pulls. It's not pulling timing. I'll give it a couple more days.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 06:02 AM   #43
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My next step would have done just that, if cleaning the coil/plug doesn't work. But I might not even bother with cleaning. The Dinan tune has held up over 6 hours of additional driving, with multiple WOT pulls. It's not pulling timing. I'll give it a couple more days.
Hope it holds up for you this time. Looking forward to more thoughts on the flash once you get some more time behind the wheel. Possibly an acceleration video?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 07:48 PM   #44
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Smile

Quote:
Hope it holds up for you this time. Looking forward to more thoughts on the flash once you get some more time behind the wheel. Possibly an acceleration video?
I'm writing up a Dinan review now, with video.....
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50