Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G22 Windscreen Replacement...

10-07-2022, 05:20 AM   #1
gregch
Private
Rep
Drives: G22 420i

G22 Windscreen Replacement...

The 420i picked up a stone chip which immediately caused a crack across the windscreen.

Autoglass (via insurers Direct Line) fitted a non-OEM replacement, which has a load of defects (distorted vision at the edges both sides, excessive reflections from dash not present before, blurry & wonky HUD, etc) and - after a full a frank exchange of views - they've agreed to order in and fit an OE (BMW labelled) windscreen. Fair enough; just waiting now for the glass to arrive.

In the meantime, I've noticed another weird thing. Along the bottom edge of the windscreen, there's the usual blacked-out and fritted section. Within that section are two clear (transparent) "holes". With the original screen, you could only see those holes from outside and they appeared to have kind of dusty felt behind them. With the non-OE replacement windscreen currently fitted, you can see quite a lot of the blacked out/fritted section above the top of the dash, including those holes that you can actually see through. Looking from outside, there's no felt or anything visible through the holes.

That's a very long winded way of saying: does anyone know if that felt is supposed to be fitted under the new screen? did it likely come away with the broken screen and get binned and the new screen didn't have any felt to fit? and will the new BMW screen come with a bit of felt at the bottom or is it a separate part that'll need to be ordered??

Or, maybe the non-OE glass is just such a poor fit that it doesn't line up where it's supposed to?? There's now a lot of creaks coming from around the screen (the car was completely free of any creaks or rattles before) and I wondered if the felt used to stop that, or if the new glass is just a terrible fit or not properly bonded.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 08:15 AM   #2
gregch
Private
Rep

Any insights on the whole "should there be a felt piece under the replacement windscreen?" thing... I'll try and attach photos to illustrate what I mean. Would be great to get some input!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

I had mine replaced earlier this year I think it was, had to wait for BMW marked screen, noticed yours isn't and neither the new one I had replaced or the one that was replaced had that 'hole' through that tinted area.
Attached Images

M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
gregch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
I had mine replaced earlier this year I think it was, had to wait for BMW marked screen, noticed yours isn't and neither the new one I had replaced or the one that was replaced had that 'hole' through that tinted area.
Ah, thanks for that photo - very interesting. I guess maybe those 'holes' are specific to the 4 series...? I noticed them when we bought the car, and never did really understand what the purpose of them was.

Incidentally, yes the new screen as currently fitted is the 3rd party one Autoglass fitted - it has all kinds of defects they spotted when fitting, so they're going to replace it with a BMW-branded one (maybe that comes with felt attached? we'll find out!).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 05:03 PM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregch View Post
Ah, thanks for that photo - very interesting. I guess maybe those 'holes' are specific to the 4 series...? I noticed them when we bought the car, and never did really understand what the purpose of them was.

Incidentally, yes the new screen as currently fitted is the 3rd party one Autoglass fitted - it has all kinds of defects they spotted when fitting, so they're going to replace it with a BMW-branded one (maybe that comes with felt attached? we'll find out!).
Just checked my G22 and it has the 'holes' as you describe with what looks like felt visible through them.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #6
gregch
Private
Rep

Thanks folks, yes it seems the holes are a peculiarity of the 4 series. And the foam/felt stuff (turns out there are two strips of it, one shows through the holes and one's lower down) is essential, and must be refitted whenever the windscreen is replaced.

The lesson being that - in the specific case of a G22 4 Series - I'd urge extreme caution if non-OEM glass is being fitted, and make sure those foam strips are fitted when the windscreen is replaced.

Anyway, Autoglass have now fitted the OEM windscreen (with new foam strips) and it's now like new, with HUD crisp and clear, less noise and solar gain, no distortions in the glass whatsoever, and the camera stuff is all working as it should. Credit where it's due, the guy they sent was excellent and Autoglass in general have gone above and beyond to make it right (a bit less impressed with Direct Line, but it all came good in the end).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #7
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Out of interest did the non oem glass have the connected drive text present. On your photo it looks like it’s missing on the non oem replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #8
gregch
Private
Rep

No, the non-OEM screen did not have the "Connected Drive" text. But the real problem was distorted vision through the glass, fuzzy/ghosted HUD display, lack of acoustic of solar insulation, camera issues, etc. It was a complete disaster.

I've has non-OEM glass fitted to other cars in the past and it's been fine, but this was really bad (I think the brand was AGC?).

Anyway it's now been replaced with the OEM glass which has the "Connected Drive" lettering in place (and in fact is the exact same BMW-branded Carlex windscreen as was fitted to the car whenit was built.
Appreciate 0