BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 318i Touring

11-03-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
simonb82
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan X-Trail dci

318i Touring

Hi. Been looking at getting an early 2022 G21. Have been looking at the 320i but annoyingly even a base M-Sport is over 40k list price so incurs the extra road tax

I could avoid it by going for the 318i but is the performance ok on one?

I see they discontinued it with the LCI. So guess it didn't sell well?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

I've thought I'd be OK with a 2 litre petrol but I drove the G22 (4 series coupe) back to back in the petrol and diesel versions and was completely underwhelmed by the petrol. Beautifully quiet, handled nicely but felt lacking in power at the points where acceleration was important. From the little I know, the 318 will be more frugal but even more lacking in oomph.

Really depends what your driving style is and what you're looking for.

Personally I wanted something that's mainly an economical motorway cruiser but had just enough grunt when needed. The 420d I have meets that need perfectly and I've zero regrets. Would I rather have a M440i or 430i ... yes, they're superior cars for performance and refinement, but I simply wasn't prepared to pay the premium (both purchase and fuel costs).

I could have saved £3k on the purchase if I'd gone for the 420i but I'd always have had buyers regret. So the 420d was my sweet spot.

I get that you're asking about the 320i vs 318i so what I'm really saying is be clear about what your acceptable threshold is (MVP as they call it these days). Don't compromise and go below that ... wait to meet or exceed it. Test drive, test drive, test drive.

Last edited by TuffLittleUnit; 11-03-2022 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb82 View Post
Hi. Been looking at getting an early 2022 G21. Have been looking at the 320i but annoyingly even a base M-Sport is over 40k list price so incurs the extra road tax

I could avoid it by going for the 318i but is the performance ok on one?

I see they discontinued it with the LCI. So guess it didn't sell well?
I think the only way you'd be able to answer that question is by trying a 320i and a 318i back to back so you can judge for yourself. Might be a problem trying to find somewhere to be able to do that real world comparison.
A G21 is a fair size hunk of metal for the 318i version to lug around I'd have thought?
I agree that the extra road tax is a bitch and hits so many cars these days. My wife's 220i coupe we bought over 2 years ago with all the toys she wanted came in at about seventy quid under the threshold, to get a new 220i now she would have to lose half of the additional spec she has on the current one to keep it under 40K.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:37 AM   #4
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320i Touring MSport

Re tax, I get why people see it as annoying. But you have to question whether those additional £350 odd per year will really make a difference in running costs when you're losing ~£5k a year on depreciation alone.

I have a 320i and its pretty much all I need. Ran it in Germany, loaded up with family and wine / luggage up to 230kmh. We were one of the fastest cars on the autobahn and it never felt slow. When RS Audis would came up I quickly scooted out of the way, but the 320i managed surprisingly well and this is coming from someone that also runs a performance car.

I suspect a 318i will be a little worse. Not enough to be bad, but just that bit to leave you wanting more. The same is true in 320i vs 330i and 330i vs 340i. Manufacturers know how to play these things really well now.

Btw, as far as I can see the 4cyl non MHT cars are relatively light at ~1450kgs
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #5
barian
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 318i

I have a G20 318i, so not a G21 but I think close enough to offer an opinion. Going for the 318 meant that, with the options I wanted, I stayed below the £40k threshold plus I objected to paying a substantial premium for a different engine map and not much else. Is it adequate? Yes. I do most of my driving either on town/city roads or on motorways and I have only once felt it slightly lacking. This was on an uphill merge having been balked and where a bit more acceleration would have been useful, but it just meant I had to aim for a different gap. Maybe if I did a lot of country road overtaking I would feel differently, but I doubt it. You certainly don't need the extra for refinement reasons. Of course more power (or rather torque, which is what I think people really hanker after) is always welcome but the gearbox is very responsive and exploits well what is available. And how many people really use all the performance available? Rather, I think they value being able to make progress with plenty in reserve. I understand this, and would feel the same, but it is not the same as objectively needing it.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2022, 02:52 AM   #6
simonb82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barian View Post
I have a G20 318i, so not a G21 but I think close enough to offer an opinion. Going for the 318 meant that, with the options I wanted, I stayed below the £40k threshold plus I objected to paying a substantial premium for a different engine map and not much else. Is it adequate? Yes. I do most of my driving either on town/city roads or on motorways and I have only once felt it slightly lacking. This was on an uphill merge having been balked and where a bit more acceleration would have been useful, but it just meant I had to aim for a different gap. Maybe if I did a lot of country road overtaking I would feel differently, but I doubt it. You certainly don't need the extra for refinement reasons. Of course more power (or rather torque, which is what I think people really hanker after) is always welcome but the gearbox is very responsive and exploits well what is available. And how many people really use all the performance available? Rather, I think they value being able to make progress with plenty in reserve. I understand this, and would feel the same, but it is not the same as objectively needing it.
Thanks for all your updates. It sounds like I should try a 318i and see how I feel. Interesting it's been dropped at the LCI update
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 01:24 PM   #7
simonb82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barian View Post
Thanks for all your updates. It sounds like I should try a 318i and see how I feel. Interesting it's been dropped at the LCI update
It seems the 318i is particularly rare on a G21. Majority of year old ones seem to be 320i or 330i. Wonder if that's a sign the 318i isn't enough
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 01:53 PM   #8
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I imagine the ost difference between a 318 and 320 was marginal so people didn't bother. Plus if most were on pcp the gfv would have meant the monthlies likely the same or even better on a non 318. Leases the same, I imagine very few wanted a 318 so the companies would have ordered the other engines.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #9
simonb82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I imagine the ost difference between a 318 and 320 was marginal so people didn't bother. Plus if most were on pcp the gfv would have meant the monthlies likely the same or even better on a non 318. Leases the same, I imagine very few wanted a 318 so the companies would have ordered the other engines.
Yep - a shame it's impossible to find a 320i which sneaked under 40k new so I don't end up giving even more money to the tax man
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 03:48 AM   #10
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If you look for SE or Sport models you'll easily find some (320i) under the tax bracket.

For the MSport, its not impossible but you need a car with no options at all (not even metallic).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #11
simonb82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
If you look for SE or Sport models you'll easily find some (320i) under the tax bracket.

For the MSport, its not impossible but you need a car with no options at all (not even metallic).
Ah ok that's interesting to know. Even an early 2022 320i Sport (not m-sport) might sneak under?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #12
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I last stopped checking prices in mid 2021 when I eventually bought mine. I've attached below the pricing list at the time. This shows basic cost, I believe that VED is based on the OTR price.

Hopefully someone might have this updated to Jan 2022 or give a view on whether BMW would have run price increases after 07/21 (possibly in Sep. with the new model year).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW G21 pricing Jun 2021.pdf (82.1 KB, 34 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
simonb82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
I last stopped checking prices in mid 2021 when I eventually bought mine. I've attached below the pricing list at the time. This shows basic cost, I believe that VED is based on the OTR price.

Hopefully someone might have this updated to Jan 2022 or give a view on whether BMW would have run price increases after 07/21 (possibly in Sep. with the new model year).
Great thanks - so according to that even a 320i M-Sport with metallic paint as the only option would sneak under 40k
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 05:45 PM   #14
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Someone else pointed out, the extra £350 a year in tax is such a tiny amount in the great scheme of buying/running a newish car I’d say it’s almost irrelevant.

I would have a far bigger regret buying a car I didn’t really want (do you really want a 318i?) with not much spec, than spending that bit extra yearly to have something you’ll properly love and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 12:50 AM   #15
simonb82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmots View Post
Someone else pointed out, the extra £350 a year in tax is such a tiny amount in the great scheme of buying/running a newish car I’d say it’s almost irrelevant.

I would have a far bigger regret buying a car I didn’t really want (do you really want a 318i?) with not much spec, than spending that bit extra yearly to have something you’ll properly love and enjoy.
That's a very fair point
Appreciate 0