Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Should I keep my G20 or Sell it?

07-18-2023, 05:21 PM   #1
ww_mike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i x-drive

Should I keep my G20 or Sell it?

I have a 2019 G20 (330i x-drive) and currently have 98k miles on it. I do really like the car and it has treated me well. I've taken really good care of it. This is my first BMW though and I have heard caution about keeping them past 100k miles as they get pricey to maintain. So, I am seeking some insights from those with more experience owning the G20 models...should I take the caution seriously and sell this one or keep it any continue to enjoy it?
Appreciate 1
sfgator40.50
      07-18-2023, 06:20 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
If it’s doing well now that will probably continue for at least another 10k - 20k miles and it wouldn’t be surprising if even more. At some point you’ll have to start spending some money on it. Right now I imagine you have one of the highest mileage G20s out there.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

07-18-2023, 07:13 PM   #3
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww_mike View Post
I have a 2019 G20 (330i x-drive) and currently have 98k miles on it. I do really like the car and it has treated me well. I've taken really good care of it. This is my first BMW though and I have heard caution about keeping them past 100k miles as they get pricey to maintain. So, I am seeking some insights from those with more experience owning the G20 models...should I take the caution seriously and sell this one or keep it any continue to enjoy it?
if you look after it shouldn't be too expensive but the expected maintenance will rack up, also lottery of things failing unexpectedly

if you buy a trashed 2nd hand at 100k miles it gets very expensive for things breaking and needing replacing. not your scenario of course.

at your stage, if you have something else in mind, and you get a good trade value, yes swap it.

if you were to keep it make sure you do preventative maintenance and change things like - spark plugs, (ignition coils?), transmission fluid and filter, diff fluid, and i'm sure i've missed a lot

if you do not wish to change things things then the answer is easy - sell
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:36 PM   #4
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww_mike View Post
You know the car's history, you know it's been reliable, you know how it's been driven, and you obviously like it. If you buy another car new, you'll probably have packaged servicing etc. and depending on how things work where you live, and your personal circumstances, you may have a tax advantage with a lease package. For me. I have none of that (I do zero business mileage), and would be a cash purchaser, so it's a straight assessment of the balance of prospective maintenance costs against depreciation. In general I keep my cars a long time as I have several vehicles so I'm spreading my kilometres across them, and you'd have to rack up some hefty bills to cancel out new car depreciation. Especially when here in Australia the base price for my car (330i) has increased by over 20% in 4 years, so depreciation plus the increased price would mean I'd be finding at least another $50k to replace my car like-for-like.

As to BMW reliability, only one of my 4 previous BMWs got to high mileage in my ownership (a 2003 X5 with the 3.0 litre petrol engine) which I traded in for peanuts in 2018 with about 200k on the clock. Apart from having to have the rear suspension rebuilt after about 12 years, which was expensive, that car had needed little more than routine preventative maintenance, new tyres and brakes etc. A good independent shop will save you a heap of money on maintenance too, so if you've got one near you that will be a big plus factor in the equation.

For me the LCI changes aren't enough to tip the balance towards a new car so if I was buying another 3-series I'd be waiting a few years to see what the next generation brings.
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5919.50
EXE462101.50
      07-19-2023, 07:13 AM   #5
ww_mike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i x-drive

Thanks for the responses

I appreciate the responses...very helpful. This G20 is my first go at the BMW line. I used to buy/drive the Acura Legend/RL with about 50k miles on them and then drive them to 250k and sell. Those Acura's had a reputation for longevity and my experience with them was good. I bought this G20 with 5k miles on it and honestly it has been much more fun to drive and the fuel economy is great. I enjoy doing the regular maintenance myself so that is not a worry. The points made about depreciation are spot on and that is wise advice. My CPO warranty ends in April of 2024 so my general worries about major mechanical matters is increasing and the words of advice about keeping a BMW only until 100k miles are more prominent in my mind.

Once again, thank you to the forum member for taking the time to share insights. I'll continue to listen...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviatrix View Post
You know the car's history, you know it's been reliable, you know how it's been driven, and you obviously like it. If you buy another car new, you'll probably have packaged servicing etc. and depending on how things work where you live, and your personal circumstances, you may have a tax advantage with a lease package. For me. I have none of that (I do zero business mileage), and would be a cash purchaser, so it's a straight assessment of the balance of prospective maintenance costs against depreciation. In general I keep my cars a long time as I have several vehicles so I'm spreading my kilometres across them, and you'd have to rack up some hefty bills to cancel out new car depreciation. Especially when here in Australia the base price for my car (330i) has increased by over 20% in 4 years, so depreciation plus the increased price would mean I'd be finding at least another $50k to replace my car like-for-like.

As to BMW reliability, only one of my 4 previous BMWs got to high mileage in my ownership (a 2003 X5 with the 3.0 litre petrol engine) which I traded in for peanuts in 2018 with about 200k on the clock. Apart from having to have the rear suspension rebuilt after about 12 years, which was expensive, that car had needed little more than routine preventative maintenance, new tyres and brakes etc. A good independent shop will save you a heap of money on maintenance too, so if you've got one near you that will be a big plus factor in the equation.
For me the LCI changes aren't enough to tip the balance towards a new car so if I was buying another 3-series I'd be waiting a few years to see what the next generation brings.

"You know your car history" influences the decision keep-or-sell more than any other factor.

Modern vehicles - and BMW is not an exception - use many parts made from rubber and plastic. Replacing them pro-actively is always a good idea especially if your car is approaching 100K.

It would not surprise me if your vehicle produces another 100K trouble free miles with differential, transmission fluid changes + new set of belts (plus pulleys) and coolant hoses.
Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50
      07-22-2023, 02:12 PM   #7
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

"You know your car history" influences the decision keep-or-sell more than any other factor.

Modern vehicles - and BMW is not an exception - use many parts made from rubber and plastic. Replacing them pro-actively is always a good idea especially if your car is approaching 100K.

It would not surprise me if your vehicle produces another 100K trouble free miles with differential, transmission fluid changes + new set of belts (plus pulleys) and coolant hoses.
I kept my old E46 for 10 years and 199K miles and nothing too serious occurred over those years outside of routine maintenance. The cooling system were weak on those cars as well as window regulators and CAB's. Fuel pump lasted almost 10 years, the one in the gas tank that is along with flex thing in the drive line (Guibo). Engine was solid, maybe two valve cover gaskets changed over the 10 years. Of course, hoses and pulleys, water pumps/thermostat, things like that. As well as routine fluid service for diff, gearbox was also done regularly. Car was manual so it had one clutch swap.

I don't ever plan to drive a car that long again unless I get something like a Lexus GX460 (built like a tank) which wouldn't be a daily. With that said, I believe the G20 is far more better built car than the E46's were. I don't particularly like old cars nor the time required to invest in extensive preventive maintenance. Not worth my time since German cars typically have crap resale value once they hit 100k miles or thereabouts.