Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G22 side profile compared to earlier generation coupes

06-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #89
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
if it had a more 8 series style grill and a proper holfmeister kink, then i would have totally been on board
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #90
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
The entire internet is in total laughter. BMW has become a laughing stock with their current design language.
Not really. I for one absolutely adore the new design. Finally something new, refreshing, and not the same old, same old. And finally really a lot different than the 3 series. The 4 has become its own car with this.
All criticism aside, I can really appreciate the effort to do this. At least for one generation the 4 was seen as just a 2 door 3er. It still is but with the design, you would think it was a completely different car. If I walk into an Audi or Mercedes dealership, it's a sea of the same car, different lengths. With BMW moving forward, each model is going to be different than the other which is very refreshing.
This is a sound statement. I think the new 4 series and G80 front ends look disgusting due to the grill, but that is true. Sometimes I can't distinguish the different models of other reman manufacturers. For example, C class and E Class, A6 and A8, etc until I get close enough to notice the size difference. On the road, can't tell them apart.

BMW has the right idea but the wrong execution. There should be other ways to make each model uniquely distinguishable without making them look hideous.
      06-06-2020, 10:34 PM   #91
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
E36's still oh so sexy.
I loved my E36 318i, what a great little car, my first BMW. With that said, I love the look so far of the new coupe, Id be proud to have one, but I think Im in the minority.
2020 M340
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
Fhey454.50
      06-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #92
BoomerE30
Private
Rep
Drives: e36 325

BMW's design direction across the entire lineup is just so sad, their vehicles assumed that slick lifeless,boring shape of a Lexus
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 03:48 AM   #93
Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i Roadster

Garage List
Perhaps a better comparison...
...have collected pictures from the side and front:

Evolution_4-series Coupe_S

Evolution_4-series Coupe_front_S

BMW - Maßstab für Fahrspaß
Appreciate 5
AlterZgo1537.50
clee1982797.50
stein_325i25083.00
A6bullet337.00
      06-07-2020, 04:02 AM   #94
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
I loved my E36 318i, what a great little car, my first BMW. With that said, I love the look so far of the new coupe, Id be proud to have one, but I think Im in the minority.
...For now. After it comes out, everyone gets used to the new styling, the majority will grow to love the design. Happens every time.

After all, it's not factually ugly like a Pontiac Aztek or AMC Pacer. Those cars were ugly when they came out and stayed ugly to this very day.

The 4 series? Not at all. The proportions are classic and the styling details are a great evolution of the car. I thought the 4 series concept was stunning. For us, we are just more open to change and can see the beauty for what it is without expectations that it be firmly tied to BMW's past design language.
Appreciate 3
heavyD^23688.50
Fhey454.50
      06-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #95
MForSpeed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_F32 View Post
The lines are not as aggressive as my F32. What I'm really interested in is what the Grand Coupe will look like.
The back track defo wider
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #96
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
...For now. After it comes out, everyone gets used to the new styling, the majority will grow to love the design. Happens every time.

After all, it's not factually ugly like a Pontiac Aztek or AMC Pacer. Those cars were ugly when they came out and stayed ugly to this very day.

The 4 series? Not at all. The proportions are classic and the styling details are a great evolution of the car. I thought the 4 series concept was stunning. For us, we are just more open to change and can see the beauty for what it is without expectations that it be firmly tied to BMW's past design language.
Exactly that!
2020 M340
Appreciate 2
Fhey454.50
      06-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #97
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
No, we should never have to grow to love a design. The F8X design was majority praise (minus the hood line). And the E9X before that. And the E46 before that. See a pattern? So no, it also doesn't happen every time.

The Bangle era was asterisk. It will remain to be seen where this new design philosophy falls in respect to the Bangle cars.
Appreciate 2
Teutonic2709.00
emulajavi421.50
      06-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #98
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
No, we should never have to grow to love a design. The F8X design was majority praise (minus the hood line). And the E9X before that. And the E46 before that. See a pattern? So no, it also doesn't happen every time.

The Bangle era was asterisk. It will remain to be seen where this new design philosophy falls in respect to the Bangle cars.
I agree. It either ignites the feelings and desire to want one or it doesn't.
This one is repugnant. Not to mention it lacks so much originality that I am literally stunned ! I mean, except the badge NOTHING says BMW.

Maybe a forced analogy but I wonder how many in this forum met an ugly girl and married her later because "she will grow on me"...
Appreciate 4
Jockey3448.00
stein_325i25083.00
emulajavi421.50
      06-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #99
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartginger View Post
I miss the Hofmeister kink more than anything. And the rear-end overhang on the new one is huge.
The lack of the hofmeister kink is an absolute travesty.

We can call the 4 series the 4 series, but for all intents and purposes it's a 3er coupe. Always has been, always will be. So to effectively take the hofmesiter kink out of the 3 series is absolutely fucking criminal. This car is an abomination.
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25083.00
Jockey3448.00
emulajavi421.50
      06-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #100
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V6 S BDE

Just out of curiosity, how many folks here have bought a new car and filled out the surveys where they asked detailed questions about the stuff customers wanted? Because if you haven't, I hate to say it but these companies don't care about your opinion unless you did. That's how they make their decisions, off new car sales and surveys, not used car sales and forums. If you have bought new and filled out the surveys, I'd love to hear those opinions on what you wrote vs the reality you got - that might be more insightful.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #101
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Can I just say (and flame suit on here) that everyone going on and on and on about the hoff kink sound like a bunch of hipsters whining about their favorite organic craft microbrew triple IPA being out of stock?

I mean I've been a BMW fan for maybe 20 years, car enthusiast of many brands for a similar amount of time, and I've seen the evolution of so many different cars come and go.

To me, there's an ebb and flow of the overall package. Since someone else brought up people's wives, and since cars are often compared to women / loves / etc, I'll put it this way - while physical attraction always plays a role, how much of a role it plays also depends on a wide variety of other factors. Intelligence, sense of humor, ambition / drive, career, family, interests, hobbies, etc. With regard to the Hoff Kink, it's like saying your new girlfriend doesn't wear the same earrings your ex did. Now maybe those earrings were hand-me-down gifts from your grandma to your first crush and you've made every girlfriend wear them since then and the new one refuses to, but damn, that shouldn't be a reason to break up with her. Maybe the new one absolutely crushes it in the gym with you and likes to race her own M4 at the track in her spare time, while the old one preferred wine getaways with the girls. Point is, the seeming hyperfocus on the lack of a hoff kink is a bit weird to me.
Appreciate 5
solstice5456.50
VetteGuy845.50
Fhey454.50
      06-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #102
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Can I just say (and flame suit on here) that everyone going on and on and on about the hoff kink sound like a bunch of hipsters whining about their favorite organic craft microbrew triple IPA being out of stock?

I mean I've been a BMW fan for maybe 20 years, car enthusiast of many brands for a similar amount of time, and I've seen the evolution of so many different cars come and go.

To me, there's an ebb and flow of the overall package. Since someone else brought up people's wives, and since cars are often compared to women / loves / etc, I'll put it this way - while physical attraction always plays a role, how much of a role it plays also depends on a wide variety of other factors. Intelligence, sense of humor, ambition / drive, career, family, interests, hobbies, etc. With regard to the Hoff Kink, it's like saying your new girlfriend doesn't wear the same earrings your ex did. Now maybe those earrings were hand-me-down gifts from your grandma to your first crush and you've made every girlfriend wear them since then and the new one refuses to, but damn, that shouldn't be a reason to break up with her. Maybe the new one absolutely crushes it in the gym with you and likes to race her own M4 at the track in her spare time, while the old one preferred wine getaways with the girls. Point is, the seeming hyperfocus on the lack of a hoff kink is a bit weird to me.
I’m with you I have own every generation since the E21 and I couldn’t give 2c about the kink...as long as the car is well designed to my eyes and live up to BMW driving dynamics and value vs the competition I’m in. Maybe I draw the line for nostalgia at the roundel but maybe not it depends on what it is replaced with

I do get cranky when my favorite craft IPA is out of stock though...

Last edited by solstice; 06-07-2020 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
Fhey454.50
      06-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #103
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaberti View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many folks here have bought a new car and filled out the surveys where they asked detailed questions about the stuff customers wanted? Because if you haven't, I hate to say it but these companies don't care about your opinion unless you did. That's how they make their decisions, off new car sales and surveys, not used car sales and forums. If you have bought new and filled out the surveys, I'd love to hear those opinions on what you wrote vs the reality you got - that might be more insightful.
I let me wallet speak for me.

And I will again, when I don't give my money to BMW for this monstrosity.
Appreciate 3
      06-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #104
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Hard to deny, this is probably the most Muscle-Car looking BMW in modern history. Not a lot of flowy lines, and I actually think that is intentional. I kinda like it, a bold and masculine design.

I also believe the choice of exterior color is critical with this car.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #105
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Styling is way too Asian for me, when I look at all of those cars together the new 4er looks like the one that doesn't belong.
Chinese market they say... u can see any new car design post 2018-2019 are catering more for the Oriental taste... even Im an 'Chah-nese' myself staying in SEAsia, i would still prefer the older western oriented design.
      06-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #106
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V6 S BDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Quote:
I let me wallet speak for me.

And I will again, when I don't give my money to BMW for this monstrosity.
It's not just whether you buy new or not that counts. And let me stress, other than CPO they don't track used car sales. The surveys are what corporate use to identify problems. You can go into any dealer and ask them to send you a survey if you have any BMW customer history. Answer in detail what you like and what you don't like in their cars. Trust me, someone reads them. Otherwise, it becomes a smaller and smaller group of people who influence future designs and features. Enough people saying "hold up a minute" and they're forced to listen.

What they do from there? That's out of our control, but at least it's gives the engineers and designers leverage against the beancounters. Contact a dealer and get your voice heard! Or consider walking away from the brand entirely and try something different. I hear Hyundai/Kia/Genesis stole M division alumni Albert Biermann and he's turned those brands around, winning them over 16 different "of the year" type awards in under 4 years. Chevy is having a renaissance moment with the C8. Porsche and Mercedes are still leading the luxury performance segments. And so on and on.

Either way, just remember these brands need the customer, not the other way around. But if you want the brand you go the direction you want, as much as you can against tightening safety and emissions regulations, you gotta speak up where it counts.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #107
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's not just whether you buy new or not that counts. And let me stress, other than CPO they don't track used car sales. The surveys are what corporate use to identify problems. You can go into any dealer and ask them to send you a survey if you have any BMW customer history. Answer in detail what you like and what you don't like in their cars. Trust me, someone reads them. Otherwise, it becomes a smaller and smaller group of people who influence future designs and features. Enough people saying "hold up a minute" and they're forced to listen.

What they do from there? That's out of our control, but at least it's gives the engineers and designers leverage against the beancounters. Contact a dealer and get your voice heard! Or consider walking away from the brand entirely and try something different. I hear Hyundai/Kia/Genesis stole M division alumni Albert Biermann and he's turned those brands around, winning them over 16 different "of the year" type awards in under 4 years. Chevy is having a renaissance moment with the C8. Porsche and Mercedes are still leading the luxury performance segments. And so on and on.

Either way, just remember these brands need the customer, not the other way around. But if you want the brand you go the direction you want, as much as you can against tightening safety and emissions regulations, you gotta speak up where it counts.

I've taken the surveys, when BMW actually cares to hear my opinion.

The G22 wasn't designed from surveys. This is a car that was built by committee with a strong side order of group think.

BMW cares about money. That's why they build A LOT of SUVs. It's also why they plaster the M badge on everything now.

So like I said, BMW will hear me loud and clear. I will not be wasting my money on the G-series of vehicles that BMW is currently producing.
Appreciate 3
      06-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #108
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Change is welcome, as long as it is positive. And the new 4 series change isn't positive IMHO.

The way I see it, BMW desperately wants to elevate the 8 series into their flagship, despite being nothing but a 5 series coupe. And since 8 series is already uglier than its predecessor, 6 series, on that journey they had to make the 4 series even fuglier. The rear end is very similar to the 8, but for the front-end, low and behold, let's put a beaver grille and all of a sudden we are not cutting into our flagship. Add that on top of the identity problems (Lexus, Audi influence, Mustang side profile,...).

Besides maybe m340i and x3m, BMW hasn't released anything inspiring.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #109
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Change is welcome, as long as it is positive. And the new 4 series change isn't positive IMHO.

The way I see it, BMW desperately wants to elevate the 8 series into their flagship, despite being nothing but a 5 series coupe. And since 8 series is already uglier than its predecessor, 6 series, on that journey they had to make the 4 series even fuglier. The rear end is very similar to the 8, but for the front-end, low and behold, let's put a beaver grille and all of a sudden we are not cutting into our flagship. Add that on top of the identity problems (Lexus, Audi influence, Mustang side profile,...).

I share your views on the new grills (I call them Edsel grills rather than beaver grills) but I think you are a bit harsh on your last comment. What about the various M2s and I8? I think those were pretty inspiring.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #110
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
I share your views on the new grills (I call them Edsel grills rather than beaver grills) but I think you are a bit harsh on your last comment. What about the various M2s and I8? I think those were pretty inspiring.
You're right. My previous statement was missing "recently".
I like both m2 (although the proportions seem a bit off) and i8 is a good example of new and positive in my opinion.
Appreciate 0