Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Charge Immediately Once on 330e

04-02-2021, 01:43 AM   #1
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I normally have my 330e set to "charge in time slot" as I am on a ToU energy tariff that is cheaper in the early hours of the morning.

When I go to work and plug the car in I try to use the "Charge Immediately Once" option that's displayed when switching to standby. But it doesn't seem to work so wondering what I am doing wrong. I basically just:
  • Press start/stop to switch to standby and select Charge Immediately Once on the screen.
  • Jump out of car, leaving door open so that car doesn't lock whilst I walk away to get cable out of boot and plug into bollard and so that I can still open charge point flap (that annoys me)
  • Start charging mode on the bollard and connect to car
  • Shut drivers door and walk away. Car locks. Charging starts.

... but what happens is it charges up to 12% without fail and then I get a notification saying charging paused and will resume at 00:00 (the start of my time slot). I then have to change preference in the myBMW app to "Immediate", send to car and then remember to set it back again to "time slot" before I plug in when I get home.

What am I doing wrong? Doesn't make any sense and surely shouldn't be this difficult!?

Thanks.
      04-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #2
francesco_ita
Italy
Rep
Drives: G21 BMW 330e xDrive MSport

Did you find a solution? It happens the same to me. It seems that if I choose to charge immediately once and then attach the cable within few seconds it works, if I take some time to get the cable, activate the charging station and so on, it doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 12:12 PM   #3
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco_ita View Post
Did you find a solution? It happens the same to me. It seems that if I choose to charge immediately once and then attach the cable within few seconds it works, if I take some time to get the cable, activate the charging station and so on, it doesn't work.
I never got an official solution, but does seem to be a bit better now. Maybe Ive just got used to the process. I switch to standy, select Option on iDrive screen, open the boot from the button on the door, get out, grab cable from boot, open charge flap and connect cable to car, connect to bollard, close boot and walk away.

Although have recently noticed that "Charge Immediately Once" is sometimes still set after I've completed the last charging session at work, so when I get home and plug in again, it starts charging immediately. So the "once" turns into "twice" at least. This seems to be a new issue.
      04-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #4
abalosa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e - 2022

I got my 330e two months ago and I am still trying to figure out how the charging time slots work vs how it is supposed to work. My software version is 11/2021.5

To begin, I had a Prius Prime for 3 years and never had a problem. I just set the time slot when I first got the car (2 a.m. to 7 a.m). Plug it in at night, and the indicators showed plugged in but not charging. Next morning it was done. No locking of the car required. "Charge once immediately" always reverted back to "Time slot charging" when charging was done. Simple, no departure time required.

My charger is 220 VAC, rated at 16A, plugged into a mains outlet with a 20A breaker. it has an indicator which blinks when the charger is providing current to the car. I set the car current limit to max, 16A.

Right now the car frequently starts charging (blue LED is blinking) as soon as I plug it in and lock the car even if I have just set it to "Charge in time slot". I use the MyBMW app to monitor the car status since the LED indicator goes out within 30 seconds (why doesn't the indicator stay on to show status?).

In the next few days/weeks I'll post the various scenarious I observe when I go to charge. Things I plan to describe are:
- Status of car when cable gets plugged in (%charge, charging mode)
- Plug cable in first or set the car up then plug in
- info displayed on Instrument cluster before and after plugging in
- locked or unlocked
- resulting charge action of car
Any other suggestions are welcome. I'll start with what the manual says to do with a Time Slot of 1am to 6am and eparture of 8am
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 11:25 AM   #5
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The car will always charge up to 12% and then pause if "Charge in time slot" is selected. No idea why.
If the car is already above 12%, it should pause straight away and wait til your time slot.

Maybe that's what you are seeing?

I used to have loads of issues, but things seem to be a bit more reliable recently. Except "Chargre Immediately Once" doesn't always seem to reset back to time slot the next time I plug in.
      12-23-2022, 10:41 AM   #6
bt52
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330eX Touring

I'm starting to have loads of problems with my 2021 330e - now Charge Immediately doesn't work - I'm sitting at home with the app on the phone & smart meter, and it shuts charging down every 2 minutes. The current version of the iOS app conflicts on the 'charge in slot' times with what the car says, and even setting both to the same times it reverts back. I'm out the door every few minutes to unlock the car & restart the charger.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I set the charging time slots on my charger (a Zappi 2), with the car set to charge at any time. Seems to work well with overnight cheap ‘leccy charging.

I initially had the charging time slots set on the car, with the charger set to charge all the time, but had no end of problems. Much better doing it the other way round (assuming your charger has a schedule function).
Appreciate 0