Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

02-04-2024, 11:35 AM   #507
M340ix.be
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 M340ixdrive touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe101 View Post
That’s interesting. I am discussing same issue in 530 topic, because there are more active. Another thing me and another guy noted- it was quite cold in January, like -20-25 degrees C, and there was no noise for some time, like first 30 mins it was quite. From one point of view it could be oil inside shafts or in front diff, however it also could be some metal/plastic parts that are vibrating when they get warm.
Please update if anything clanged after you clipped part 1
I wasn't aware that this was affecting the 5 series. Interresting, I'll have a look to the thread.

Unfortunatelly, clipping the part correctly didn't change much. I did also put some self adhesive noise insulation in the empty space below the part #3 where the ventilation fresh air intake sits. It seemed to made it worse than before.

I'm also noticing temperature impacting the noise : when cold AND dry ==> nearly silent. But now that we have 10degrees and and lot of rain here in belgium ==> much more noticeable. My conclusion was that it was related to the temperature and friction of the tires (noisier/grippier when hot). But in the same time, it should be less noisy when road are wets (less grip?). I'm a bit lost there.

Next thing I'll do is trying to soundproof the right fender (through the wheelarche). This is where the windshield wiper fluid tank is. I think I noticed that the noise was much noticeable when this tank was nearly empty. At some point having it full might prevent some of the vibration to get to the cabin.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 12:20 PM   #508
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert_PL View Post
Dear Friends,

I carefully read all the posts in this thread, trying to find the answer why my G20 320i (without M suspension) bought in March 2021 is so noisy. Exactly like some other colleagues tryin to figured out about annoying noise from the front wheels, as described here on the forum.

I was most puzzled by the fact that it appeared from a mileage of about 4,000 kilometers. Up to this point it was perfect. It bothered me. Yesterday, with the odometer reading of 27,000 kilometers and signaling the need to replace the rear brake pads, I went to the BMW service station in Warsaw (PL). Imagine my surprise, I left again in a quiet car. No annoying noise. Nothing. Apart from the above, only the inspection, oil and cabin filter change were performed.

Naturally, I have a hard time understanding how rear brake pads could cause an annoying noise in the front - exactly as you all confirm here, as in the recordings posted in previous posts. I would like to add that about month ago I replaced the tires with new winter Bridgestone ones and the wheels were humming as if they were summer tires.

I recommend you to check it out, but since yesterday I am in shock. I just got in the car to go for a ride again - no changes, silence inside as yesterday.
I have a whine nose from right front too.

In the process of getting diagnosed. Nobody knows where or what it is, guess I'll be reading the thread from start to finish!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:01 AM   #509
deluxe101
Rep
Drives: 340xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
I have a whine nose from right front too.

In the process of getting diagnosed. Nobody knows where or what it is, guess I'll be reading the thread from start to finish!
buddy don't waste your time - still no solution
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:04 AM   #510
deluxe101
Rep

Gentlemen this is a thread from 5 series -

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2058524

I think that M340ix.be is really close to the truth, Its extremely wet and dirty outside, so I can't put different noise and sound sensors, but I have this plan. I found an acoustic lab who said they can help, but when it's getting dry.
We also have a group in telegram with other owners (320ixdrive, 330xd and 320xd) we even met and drove each car - and its absolutely the same noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:20 AM   #511
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
Gentlemen this is a thread from 5 series -

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2058524

I think that M340ix.be is really close to the truth, Its extremely wet and dirty outside, so I can't put different noise and sound sensors, but I have this plan. I found an acoustic lab who said they can help, but when it's getting dry.
We also have a group in telegram with other owners (320ixdrive, 330xd and 320xd) we even met and drove each car - and its absolutely the same noise.
I really hope this will change something, let you know tonight (I have 200km to drive this afternoon and it's dry out here).

The shiny stuff was already there and changed nothing. Just know that, after I took the picture, I added some of this self adhesive soundproofing stuff directly into the cowl drain (part 6 of previous picture)making sure that the piece was able to overlap into the wheelarche (I also checked this doesn't block any water coming down).

What is completely new is the black foam to the left (covering the washer fluid tank). I also tried to cover any holes into the wheelarche and the side skirt (not really visible on the bottom left of the picture)

EDIT : unfortunatelly, didn't change that much, noise is slightly less perceivable but this is maybe placebo effect. I'll keep you posted if it changes
Attached Images

Last edited by M340ix.be; 02-11-2024 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: UPDATE
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 04:48 AM   #512
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ah but I just read the whole thread and found out just that! Lol

It's ok, I don't waste time of things like this. Just make sure sure find nothing wrong and I'll move on
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:05 PM   #513
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
dealer isolated the noise to front diff within an hour.

drained the oil and found "a lot of metal shavings"

new front diff ordered.

i think i will drain all the diff/TC/transmission oils before the 5 year warranty is up and take pictures just in case.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 02:59 AM   #514
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
dealer isolated the noise to front diff within an hour.

drained the oil and found "a lot of metal shavings"

new front diff ordered.

i think i will drain all the diff/TC/transmission oils before the 5 year warranty is up and take pictures just in case.
This was one of my idea when I had the noise at the beginning (bought the car in January 2023 with 30.000km and 3 years).
So I requested an oil change of all differentials/transfer box during first service due in september after 58.000km. I mentionned the noise for them to have a look.

Unfortunatelly, it didn't change anything and oil were clean (from what they told me).

Did new oil change something with your car ?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 03:09 AM   #515
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340ix.be View Post
This was one of my idea when I had the noise at the beginning (bought the car in January 2023 with 30.000km and 3 years).
So I requested an oil change of all differentials/transfer box during first service due in september after 58.000km. I mentionned the noise for them to have a look.

Unfortunatelly, it didn't change anything and oil were clean (from what they told me).

Did new oil change something with your car ?
no still grinding
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 08:56 AM   #516
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:
no still grinding
Same with me, first time they drain just a little and I saw few metal things inside. But when they fill replaced it- oil from the front diff was clean.

The biggest problem in my case, that on the lift nothing is hearable, absolutely no noise, I tried in three different dealers- nothing. So they lifted it up and drive on the lift up to 150 km/h.
There was a suggestion- new diff but it’s like €4000 without any guarantees that it will help.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 10:10 AM   #517
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
Same with me, first time they drain just a little and I saw few metal things inside. But when they fill replaced it- oil from the front diff was clean.

The biggest problem in my case, that on the lift nothing is hearable, absolutely no noise, I tried in three different dealers- nothing. So they lifted it up and drive on the lift up to 150 km/h.
There was a suggestion- new diff but it’s like €4000 without any guarantees that it will help.
I'm more an more convinced this is only road noise from the tires that at some point resonate in the cabin. Nothing to do with any mechanical component.

The only possible other explanation is that it's related to one bearing (shaft, differential, ....) that only create some frequencies when the tires are under load and friction (and thus related to temperature)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:05 PM   #518
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm more an more convinced this is only road noise from the tires that at some point resonate in the cabin. Nothing to do with any mechanical component.

The only possible other explanation is that it's related to one bearing (shaft, differential, ....) that only create some frequencies when the tires are under load and friction (and thus related to temperature)
interesting theory, that the shavings are normal if you drain the oil and look.

nevertheless i'll let the warranty process play out and will let you know if the wooooooooo noise is still there after the diff is replaced
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 09:29 AM   #519
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
interesting theory, that the shavings are normal if you drain the oil and look.

nevertheless i'll let the warranty process play out and will let you know if the wooooooooo noise is still there after the diff is replaced
If you are still under warranty, then you should indeed try this !

We will be very interrested to have your feedback after the installation of the new diff.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:23 PM   #520
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:
If you are still under warranty, then you should indeed try this !

We will be very interrested to have your feedback after the installation of the new diff.
Unfortunately no I am now waiting for a good weather to go to the acoustic lab and mount noise/vibro/sound sensors.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 01:03 PM   #521
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately no I am now waiting for a good weather to go to the acoustic lab and mount noise/vibro/sound sensors.
No luck on this one, I was refering to G21 who is still covered.

Just a stupid question, are we all left hand drive ? It could help if some were RHD ....

On LHD car, the noise seems to come from the passenger foot well (on the right of the car).

Does this also apply to RHD (noise then coming from the left of the car) ?

If yes it could help us to eliminate some mechanical components being at the same place on LHD and RHD cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 05:26 PM   #522
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Just a stupid question, are we all left hand drive ? It could help if some were RHD ....

On LHD car, the noise seems to come from the passenger foot well (on the right of the car).

If yes it could help us to eliminate some mechanical components being at the same place on LHD and RHD cars.
I'm RHD (driver on the right, passenger on the left)

noise is from passenger side (left)

dealer says it's the front diff. is the front diff on the left or right (or middle)?

diff will take a few weeks to arrive ...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:07 AM   #523
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
I'm RHD (driver on the right, passenger on the left)

noise is from passenger side (left)

dealer says it's the front diff. is the front diff on the left or right (or middle)?

diff will take a few weeks to arrive ...
Noise is on the right for me (LHD) (but maybe we don't have the same noise....)

Diff seems indeed to be on the left hand side of the motor if we look at this picture (number 2,3,4,5 indicating the shaft towards the transfer box of the xdrive) :

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:33 PM   #524
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

This may not be your problem but I had a problem a while back with brakes grinding on a 535d Msport........ or so I thought! I spent ages trying to find the problem and finally worked it out. I had Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres on the car.

They weren't the best performing tyres but true to their name they were superb in wet weather. A very handy thing in the west of Scotland. When the fronts needed replacing I went for the Rainsport 3.

After a while of suffering the brake grinding noise I noticed that it seemed slightly quieter in the rain, so wondered if it could possibly be the tyres? These tyres are directional so I swapped the sides over to see if it made any difference making the pattern go in reverse ....... instant success! Something in the tyre shape/pattern/construction led to the noise which seemed to hit a resonant frequency in the car.

Swapped the tyres back again ....... grinding noise again! I contacted Continental and after a fair bit of back and forward they gave me the name of a Continental approved tyre supplier and I took the car there and showed them. In the end, Continental replaced the tyres free of charge for another pattern. Never had an issue again.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 03:12 AM   #525
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:

I will definitely do this sound experiment, just need to wait a month ro so, still extremely dirty outside.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 03:21 AM   #526
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:
Noise is on the right for me (LHD) (but maybe we don't have the same noise....)

Diff seems indeed to be on the left hand side of the motor if we look at this picture (number 2,3,4,5 indicating the shaft towards the transfer box of the xdrive) :

Diff is in the middle, seems that when you seat at the right side you hear it from the left-middle, and when you seat at the left side - from right-middle.

One of my "noice co-friends" replaced number 12 - this part is cheap, there is a bearing inside - but nothing changed and there is another problem - he had that noise from the 0 km, so he bought a new car with this noise. Moreover he sold one g20 and bought another g20, and used the same tyres and wheels from his old g20. So his dealer suggested to replace the front diff and replaced it and nothing changed again, but! We requested AIR report, and nothing mentioned there about differential, some works - yes, but nothing about the spare part, its number, etc. Also he remembered that dealer told him 3 weeks, but returned car in 1 week, saying BMW shipped it much faster. So I am not sure, whether diff was replaced, and this noise if not from him, or dealer didn't do anything or maybe the replacing diff had the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 09:48 AM   #527
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
Diff is in the middle, seems that when you seat at the right side you hear it from the left-middle, and when you seat at the left side - from right-middle.

One of my "noice co-friends" replaced number 12 - this part is cheap, there is a bearing inside - but nothing changed and there is another problem - he had that noise from the 0 km, so he bought a new car with this noise. Moreover he sold one g20 and bought another g20, and used the same tyres and wheels from his old g20. So his dealer suggested to replace the front diff and replaced it and nothing changed again, but! We requested AIR report, and nothing mentioned there about differential, some works - yes, but nothing about the spare part, its number, etc. Also he remembered that dealer told him 3 weeks, but returned car in 1 week, saying BMW shipped it much faster. So I am not sure, whether diff was replaced, and this noise if not from him, or dealer didn't do anything or maybe the replacing diff had the same issue.
Sorry but the front diff is definitively on the left! In the center your have your engine (you see the oil pan on the picture sent previously).

Here is another picture to locate it

You can also see it when looking at the lenght of the front shafts

This is the left one (closer to the diff)

This is the right one (much longer)
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 02:31 PM   #528
M340ix.be
Rep

Look what I found : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...94305-9999.pdf

Technical bulletin from BMW about potential noise from windshield washer tank.

I will definitively try that asap

Edit: forget it, doesnt changes anything...

Last edited by M340ix.be; 02-19-2024 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 1