Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Excited about new BMW i3

08-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
i5Designs
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I wonder why the i3 is so much more expensive in the US than in countries where BMWs traditionally cost twice what they do here?
Does BMW NA really think that people will go "ooh, electric" and drop down $10k extra for no good reason?

That said, I see a few problems. The range is shorter than the Nissan Leaf and Tesla. Then add the suicide doors, obese gear stalk and free standing displays that look like they'll be prone to vibration, and I'm not too sure. A tad gimmicky.
A bigger version with better range and a price that hasn't been pumped up for the US market would be nice. I can't see why they call this an i3, really. Isetta 3 would be more apt.
Our thoughts exactly!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
BMW may have just completely re-written the book on how passenger cars are designed and constructed. Range isn't where the revolution is with the i3, it's the design and chassis of the car. 'Range' is the 'horsepower' of this century. BMW will improve it over time. I think the horsepower wars will give way to range wars. There is absolutely no other car being produced that has a structural design even remotely resembling what BMW has just unveiled. That's where the revolution is.

Yep, the i3 is funky looking. A lot of people are calling it ugly...just like they did with the E65, E60, E66, etc. I don't think I need to remind anyone of how those cars sold, and how they've all gone down in history as being game changers in the automotive industry.

The i3 is ugly. The 745i is too complicated. The E46 is too heavy. The new E60 is ugly. The new E30 is too slow. The E36 M3 engine sucks. The M6 is too expensive. Sound familiar?

People will bash the i3 now, buy one in 2015, then call it "the best BMW of the past 10 years" in 2020.

I dig it.
Wait, just like they did with the Z1, 6 years after the Pontic Fiero went into production...

I'd say Tesla has done that, but not BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Wait, just like they did with the Z1, 6 years after the Pontic Fiero went into production...

I'd say Tesla has done that, but not BMW.
"The body shell itself is aluminum spaceframe architecture comprising castings, extrusions, and stampings. Cast cross members and aluminum extrusions in the front-end crumple zone, unencumbered by the presence of a gasoline engine, are designed to maximize impact absorption in the event of a crash."

So basically, what's been being done for the past several decades in terms of body design; stamped metal panels welded or riveted together. This is where the BMW breaks new ground.

The Tesla Model S is dead sexy. I'd buy one over a new 5er or E class if I were in that market. I'm definitely not knocking Tesla.

happy driving, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"The body shell itself is aluminum spaceframe architecture comprising castings, extrusions, and stampings. Cast cross members and aluminum extrusions in the front-end crumple zone, unencumbered by the presence of a gasoline engine, are designed to maximize impact absorption in the event of a crash."

So basically, what's been being done for the past several decades in terms of body design; stamped metal panels welded or riveted together. This is where the BMW breaks new ground.

The Tesla Model S is dead sexy. I'd buy one over a new 5er or E class if I were in that market. I'm definitely not knocking Tesla.

happy driving, cheers.
The Fiero had steel and magnesium in the front end crumple zone; the motor was mid-chassis behind the seats. That was 24 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #27
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
The Fiero had steel and magnesium in the front end crumple zone; the motor was mid-chassis behind the seats. That was 24 years ago.
That quote was taken from an article about the Model S. I work in the automotive industry. I am aware of past and modern construction techniques employed by various manufacturers.

I have absolutely no interest in an "e-argument" about the i3. I like it. You don't. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That quote was taken from an article about the Model S. I work in the automotive industry. I am aware of past and modern construction techniques employed by various manufacturers.

I have absolutely no interest in an "e-argument" about the i3. I like it. You don't. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
I really don't care about the i3 either way and I'm not discussing the car per se, but rather BMW once again touting it's engineering prowess.

Every new car design generally breaks new ground in some form or fashion, which I'm sure you are well aware of. The i3 construction technique is not truly ground breaking, maybe the first time used in a assembly line mass production car, or maybe tweaked some for high rate production. The concept of an extended range battery-electric car is certainly not new either.

I'd say Tesla broke new ground with the S. Chevy with the Fiero, EV1 and Volt. Honda with the 1st-Gen Insight and the FCX Clarity, Toyota with the Prius. BMW seems to me to be much late to the party given how strong it's engineering capability supposedly is. BMW is great at making over-priced, excellent handling cars, with average to below-average reliability.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
kosovohp
Registered
Rep
Drives: kosovohp

I love it but price is hight $42000 =.=
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #30
BlueBill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosovohp View Post
I love it but price is hight $42000 =.=
Exactly - and I wonder how long it will take to have a newer better technology for battery cars. So the reselling price of this - admittedly really super car - will be soooooo low after only 2 years or so - like with all newly introduced technology devices.

So I guess buying one of these means REALLY loosing lots of money - otherwise if the reselling price would be stable it would be no so bad

Right?????
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Not to keep harping on the Volt, but it is the i3's main competitor the way I see it. Not all the specs for the i3 have been released by BMW, but here's a few observations. It looks like the i3 comes with an optional range extender system which adds 80 miles ("doubles the electric range" per BMW press release) to the total driving range and adds 330 pounds of weight. Which means the range-extended version of the i3 weighs 3,000 pounds and provides 160 - 200 miles total range. The Volt weighs 3700 pounds and provides a total of 380 miles of range. So from an engineering perspective the Volt provides almost double the range of the i3 for only 700 more pounds of vehicle weight. Meaning the Volt is about 35% or so more efficient in using vehicle weight in relation to vehicle range.

And both cars are priced about the same, but the $42K i3 is probably the base price without the range extender option.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-04-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I wonder why the i3 is so much more expensive in the US than in countries where BMWs traditionally cost twice what they do here?
Does BMW NA really think that people will go "ooh, electric" and drop down $10k extra for no good reason?
Are there any federal/tax rebates/incentives in the US?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
Are there any federal/tax rebates/incentives in the US?
There is a $7,200 tax rebate for battery electric/plug-in hybrid electric cars (not hybrids like the standard Prius). The rebate is limited to the first 200,000 units sold. I'm not sure if the unit count has been exceeded as of Aug 2013, but I sure Congress would extend the program anyway. Some states also offer incentives; either tax rebates, or sale tax waivers.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #34
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
There is a $7,200 tax rebate for battery electric/plug-in hybrid electric cars (not hybrids like the standard Prius). The rebate is limited to the first 200,000 units sold. I'm not sure if the unit count has been exceeded as of Aug 2013, but I sure Congress would extend the program anyway. Some states also offer incentives; either tax rebates, or sale tax waivers.
Then I would assume that the higher price is taking that into account, recouping the R&D budget just a bit faster.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #35
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

A new Volt is down to $34,995 right now, before any tax deductions.
Appreciate 0