Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW European Delivery Program Ending for North American Customers!

05-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #485
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's interesting that a 75% drop in business resulting in a cancellation is ruled a bad decision by BMW. If anybody here was running a business and observed that significant a decline, they would make a similar decision as well. Emotions truly do obfuscate reason.
The cost for the ED is mostly already absorbed as they are still doing the program for EU customers it sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #486
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Admittedly, I questioned that number as well based on my own experience. Then I thought that the number of North American EDs probably drops to near zero for at least four or five winter months. And it's not only the bad weather. Remember that winter tires are required by law in places like Austria from November 1 thru April 15. That's almost half the year. Winter tires aren't mandatory in Switzerland, but I don't think any of us want to be driving the passes in January on summer tires!
Meh I did ED on my M2C in Jan 2019. I rented a M2C from BMW Welt with the small blue brakes and winter tires as the tire rental place didn't have wheels that could clear the 2NH brake package. Still had lots of fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #487
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Not sure why people keep saying ED is coming back.

It's never coming back. This isn't the same company that we've all grown to love all these years. They couldn't give a shit about the old enthusiast guard. If they did this wouldn't have been an option.

I emailed BMW NA customer relations and basically said FU. No more cars from our family. Not that they care.

CCA cancelled
These BMW leases will go back in 2 years
CPO Porsche 911 will be purchased for me
Mercedes/Volvo ED for the wife with our little guy

Maybe I should thank the idiots at BMW

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #488
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Meh I did ED on my M2C in Jan 2019. I rented a M2C from BMW Welt with the small blue brakes and winter tires as the tire rental place didn't have wheels that could clear the 2NH brake package. Still had lots of fun.
Right. I remember you having a great trip. But are you suggesting that there are large numbers of people doing winter EDs and driving rental cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #489
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

I'll add a salient update that I haven't seen in the previous pages of posts.

I was originally scheduled for a May 23rd ED on my M2C. Long time bucket list item.

Due to a confluence of covid-related production delays (factory closures pushed builds out approximately a month) and tourist travel related restrictions imposed by the German government, my pickup date was a no-go.

Germany has restricted their border for tourist entry with a few extensions and its likely to be extended again.

No intended policy perspective on covid-19. Hoping for a safe ability to complete an in-process long term bucket list experience before the window closes.

For now, I'm penciled in for June 23rd which is, I believe, the earliest someone in queue could complete an ED assuming Germany reopens for this type of entry.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #490
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
I'll add a salient update that I haven't seen in the previous pages of posts.

I was originally scheduled for a May 23rd ED on my M2C. Long time bucket list item.

Due to a confluence of covid-related production delays (factory closures pushed builds out approximately a month) and tourist travel related restrictions imposed by the German government, my pickup date was a no-go.

Germany has restricted their border for tourist entry with a few extensions and its likely to be extended again.

No intended policy perspective on covid-19. Hoping for a safe ability to complete an in-process long term bucket list experience before the window closes.

For now, I'm penciled in for June 23rd which is, I believe, the earliest someone in queue could complete an ED assuming Germany reopens for this type of entry.
I saw your other thread and felt so bad and relatable...hope it works out. I missed my Antarctica bucket list trip back in late March...this was after spending two months in rehab for shattered clavicle after massive snowmobile crash in my last BMW adventure - Ice Driving in Sweden. But that's for another thread. Hope it works out for you! What's your build again?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 12:55 AM   #491
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Unreal that an M3 will be launched without European Delivery?

BMW - Extend it through 2021 for the launch of the G80!

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:11 AM   #492
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
The cost for the ED is mostly already absorbed as they are still doing the program for EU customers it sounds like.
Welt delivery in Europe is only available for customers from Germany and Austria, costs $850 - $1,200. Outside Europe, it is/was just Canada and the US.

I live just outside Germany and I could not get anyone to help me get a delivery at the Welt... You'd think if people from the other side of the ocean can pick up their car in Munich, non-German Europeans would be able as well.
      05-13-2020, 07:00 AM   #493
kami3...
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3 CSL

BMW M Race Track Training Nordschleife Pro 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
I also have the option to join the BMW M school ring lapping scheduled to be on October 9
I've booked a ride of M2 CS in the Ring lapping in October but it's upto COVID-19...

Last edited by kami3...; 05-13-2020 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #494
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Unreal that an M3 will be launched without European Delivery?

BMW - Extend it through 2021 for the launch of the G80!

That'll be European Delivery 2.0 when they bring it back...for a charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kami3... View Post
I've booked a ride of M2 CS in the Ring lapping in October but it's upto COVID-19...

I have a spot in that school, just waiting to hear if I get my September 30th delivery date!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #495
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
I've submitted for late September...like 28-30th on a 2021 model. No allocation, a little scary, but he's confident he can get it. If anyone's looking to do the group trip and around those dates, let's set it up!

Also, I have another dealer with a MY2020 allocation and they can go as late as end of August ED...super upfront, ED MSRP, no nonsense. Happy to share his contact.
Awesome I requested a week earlier. Let’s coordinate something! We will close out the program in style!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #496
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Welt delivery in Europe is only available for customers from Germany and Austria, costs $850 - $1,200. Outside Europe, it is/was just Canada and the US.

I live just outside Germany and I could not get anyone to help me get a delivery at the Welt... You'd think if people from the other side of the ocean can pick up their car in Munich, non-German Europeans would be able as well.
That's good information to know from somebody who actually lives there.
Appreciate 1
swagon13482.50
      05-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #497
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That's good information to know from somebody who actually lives there.
People on german forums mentioned that they used to have three tiers (like standard, premium and premium plus or whatnot) and apparently cancelled the cheapest one, so it's more expensive now. That could've been a COVID19 thing though, as the standard package included group delivery, i.e. several people getting their cars at the same time and maybe they could not implement social distancing rules.

In germany, you have the option of getting your car to the dealer or pick it up at the Welt, the cheapest option (so far, the one that apparently got cancelled) was about the same price, but you'd have to potentially pay for travel etc. if you don't live in Munich. Also, as the appointments are more difficult to schedule (and they need to add buffers for some amount of production hickups), you'd usually get your car delivered later than if you pick it up at the dealer. Still pretty nice to do once I guess.
Appreciate 1
swagon13482.50
      05-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #498
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
People on german forums mentioned that they used to have three tiers (like standard, premium and premium plus or whatnot) and apparently cancelled the cheapest one, so it's more expensive now. That could've been a COVID19 thing though, as the standard package included group delivery, i.e. several people getting their cars at the same time and maybe they could not implement social distancing rules.

In germany, you have the option of getting your car to the dealer or pick it up at the Welt, the cheapest option (so far, the one that apparently got cancelled) was about the same price, but you'd have to potentially pay for travel etc. if you don't live in Munich. Also, as the appointments are more difficult to schedule (and they need to add buffers for some amount of production hickups), you'd usually get your car delivered later than if you pick it up at the dealer. Still pretty nice to do once I guess.
Das ist richtig. There are only two tiers now, and they're more expensive than they used to be. The cheapest option was under 500 Euros a couple years back.
      05-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #499
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Right. I remember you having a great trip. But are you suggesting that there are large numbers of people doing winter EDs and driving rental cars?
Nope, most people do summer but due to the timing of the M2C release I did not have a choice. I did October ED in 2015 on my F80 and that was perfect weather.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #500
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

Even better, for EU customers they are actually paying which supports the staff, lounge, and infrastructure for Welt deliveries, all the reason to offer it to North American customers since it's already paid for (except the discount on the car itself)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:05 PM   #501
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Uh-oh - I think Porsche may have followed suit in ditching European Delivery - they revealed the new Targa online today, and apparently the pricing has gone up for all models (I suspect it's model year 2021) AND I no longer see the European Delivery options on the Porsche USA configurator (no Leipzig, no Zuffenhausen - only LA and Atlanta Delivery "Experience")! Say it ain't so, Porsche!
      05-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #502
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Uh-oh - I think Porsche may have followed suit in ditching European Delivery - they revealed the new Targa online today, and apparently the pricing has gone up for all models (I suspect it's model year 2021) AND I no longer see the European Delivery options on the Porsche USA configurator (no Leipzig, no Zuffenhausen - only LA and Atlanta Delivery "Experience")! Say it ain't so, Porsche!
Interesting, it's still available for the 718, Macan, Cayenne and Panamera...maybe they just aren't ramped up for it yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #503
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, it's still available for the 718, Macan, Cayenne and Panamera...maybe they just aren't ramped up for it yet.
I'm afraid those have not yet been updated for model year 2021 - I see the same pricing for the Cayman GT4, whereas the Carrera S has gone up slightly (along with base model, which went up by $1800).
      05-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #504
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm afraid those have not yet been updated for model year 2021 - I see the same pricing for the Cayman GT4, whereas the Carrera S has gone up slightly (along with base model, which went up by $1800).
Interesting...perhaps this is a German government or EU emissions thing, as others have speculated.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #505
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting...perhaps this is a German government or EU emissions thing, as others have speculated.
Sent Porsche ED folks an email after getting spooked yest (I mean, with BMW dropping it, where else can we go to get a sports/sporty car via ED after Sept? ) and I got this response:

"We are still offering European Deliveries. It is currently not on the configurator as we had some issues adding the option to Model Year 21 vehicles but this option is being fixed and your dealer should be able to help you with that."

Fugly M34905.50
      05-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #506
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sent Porsche ED folks an email after getting spooked yest (I mean, with BMW dropping it, where else can we go to get a sports/sporty car via ED after Sept? ) and I got this response:

"We are still offering European Deliveries. It is currently not on the configurator as we had some issues adding the option to Model Year 21 vehicles but this option is being fixed and your dealer should be able to help you with that."

That's good...I didn't think they'd cop out. I think they have a very stable, repeat ED business...and these folks aren't buying $50k cars. I just saw over in another thread, BMW is no longer producing any 2021 3 series for the US market in Germany...so you can count on both no Eds there for those that were hoping to do it on a MY2021 and nothing going forward. It would seem as if their goal is to shift all US deliveries to production in North America.
Appreciate 0