BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

View Poll Results: What are your preferences?
AWD AT 130 46.59%
RWD AT 30 10.75%
RWD MT 119 42.65%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

06-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #45
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
It's not, but if you're buying a car it's in one of those 2 categories. You are either focused on practicality or fun. So I'm just saying it's strange to me when people look at cars that are clearly focused on practicality and choose options that take away from it. All that to say I'm not surprised that it's split the way it is. For a car like the G80, you will either have people that want to focus on the performance aspect or people that want to squeeze as much practicality into it as possible. Not in between.
That's an odd thing to say. Short of removing the back seats or lowering it to within an inch of its life, you can't take away the practicality of an M3. I, as a dad with a 3 year old, am interested in both sides of the car.
_BSMM5123.50
      06-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #46
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

I'll get manual if it's available with the full power engine ... obnoxious if they cut the power bc of a manual and I'll succumb to the full deal... AWD (RWD at flip of a switch!) and auto. Launch mode in an AWD auto 500hp M3 will make my kids and wife giggle.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 05:56 AM   #47
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
That's an odd thing to say. Short of removing the back seats or lowering it to within an inch of its life, you can't take away the practicality of an M3. I, as a dad with a 3 year old, am interested in both sides of the car.
You're not getting an M3 based on it's practicality. There are way more practical cars out there if that was your focus.

Another example are all of the "SUV Coupes" coming out. It make no sense to me that you'd try to merge the two. You sacrifice in both departments in an attempt to get a homogeneous mix.

And that's why the data is split. Most people either want a manual RWD (fun) or auto awd (practical) when they chose a vehicle.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #48
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You're not getting an M3 based on it's practicality. There are way more practical cars out there if that was your focus.

Another example are all of the "SUV Coupes" coming out. It make no sense to me that you'd try to merge the two. You sacrifice in both departments in an attempt to get a homogeneous mix.

And that's why the data is split. Most people either want a manual RWD (fun) or auto awd (practical) when they chose a vehicle.
Forget the fact that it's an M version - it's still a 3 Series, or 4-door sedan. That's pretty practical.

SUVs and wagons are even more so of course, but BMW doesn't make wagons here anymore, and I'm not an SUV kind of guy.

Practicality isn't the only reason I'd buy an M3, but it's the reason why I don't want an M4.
      06-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #49
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Forget the fact that it's an M version - it's still a 3 Series, or 4-door sedan. That's pretty practical.

SUVs and wagons are even more so of course, but BMW doesn't make wagons here anymore, and I'm not an SUV kind of guy.

Practicality isn't the only reason I'd buy an M3, but it's the reason why I don't want an M4.
I think you're missing the point, but ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #50
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I refuse to drive an automatic ///M car. If I didn't get swayed by the SMG's and DCT's, why on earth would I go full blown auto!?! I love the Porsche GT3 almost more than my own mother, and I wouldn't want an auto/PDK version of that either. THANK GOD Porsche came [back] to their senses.
Appreciate 4
      06-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #51
Matteo88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 6MT ZUP

i came so close to accepting the death of the manual and getting a 340i ZF 8AT but i have had the F80 ZCP 6MT for over a year now and i couldn't be happier with it.

that said i could only see myself in a RWD 6MT G80 if i came to it. i wouldn't be dissuaded by the additional power of the other trims because this car already has more power than you can use on the daily. plus a tune can get you there.

even living in the great white north with its brutal winters... strap a pair of winters and let that rear diff sort out the rest. awd is definitely better in the winter but it's just not enough for me to give up the handling dynamics of rwd.

that said... i'd not want to be sealed out of getting some cool options but driving dynamics and fun factor will always be a higher priority
- 2003 RSX Type S 6MT

Last edited by Matteo88; 06-21-2019 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
kern4174442.00
      06-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #52
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

I'm thinking of getting the next gen M4 for my next car and I don't fully agree with the 'auto is less fun' comments. I love manuals and I love 'good' autos (I have an M2 DCT but previously had a manual civic and love them both). For me, a rapid AWD auto is fun in other ways - launch, ridiculous grip etc. Manual is better for engagement, controlled burnouts etc. RWD is more fun for risk, adrenaline, drifting etc. Right now, I'm definitely torn.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #53
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
I'm thinking of getting the next gen M4 for my next car and I don't fully agree with the 'auto is less fun' comments. I love manuals and I love 'good' autos (I have an M2 DCT but previously had a manual civic and love them both). For me, a rapid AWD auto is fun in other ways - launch, ridiculous grip etc. Manual is better for engagement, controlled burnouts etc. RWD is more fun for risk, adrenaline, drifting etc. Right now, I'm definitely torn.
AWD , if not for that why not just get a f82 and save the $$$$$
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #54
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

This guy gets it🦅

My family car would be a FWD Lexus ES 350 hybrid.

It's like sitting on your coach driving with a snow suit and snow gloves

🤗
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #55
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I refuse to drive an automatic ///M car. If I didn't get swayed by the SMG's and DCT's, why on earth would I go full blown auto!?! I love the Porsche GT3 almost more than my own mother, and I wouldn't want an auto/PDK version of that either. THANK GOD Porsche came [back] to their senses.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
That's hilarious and I totally understand lol!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #56
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stop trying...

A friend of mine rented a Tahoe and called to tell me it gets great gas mileage. He said he did not have to fill as often as his Jetta.

I did not have the patience or energy to explain.

Victimless crime...
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      06-28-2019, 05:15 AM   #57
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
Stop trying...

A friend of mine rented a Tahoe and called to tell me it gets great gas mileage. He said he did not have to fill as often as his Jetta.

I did not have the patience or energy to explain.

Victimless crime...
It is what it is.

I saw a video from Carfection i think, that was talking about how racing series used to sell cars, but now it's less about actual performance and more about perception. And i have first hand experienced customer feedback when working at an OEM that blew my mind.

One guy told us he didn't like that the engine bay looked complicated. He never planned on working on it, but he popped the hood and said it looked complicated and it made him feel like that meant it was unreliable.

Solution? We designed a bigger engine cover and OEMs know that's what sells cars. You have to look at it and like it what it is before you care about how it drives. That means space, features, and AWD ALL SEASON TIRES (majority people specifically look for that combo)
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      07-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #58
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

111 RWD MTs? Wow. All RWD MT buyers in the world are in this forum
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
alex23642846.50
s4awd284.50
      07-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #59
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
It is what it is.

I saw a video from Carfection i think, that was talking about how racing series used to sell cars, but now it's less about actual performance and more about perception. And i have first hand experienced customer feedback when working at an OEM that blew my mind.

One guy told us he didn't like that the engine bay looked complicated. He never planned on working on it, but he popped the hood and said it looked complicated and it made him feel like that meant it was unreliable.

Solution? We designed a bigger engine cover and OEMs know that's what sells cars. You have to look at it and like it what it is before you care about how it drives. That means space, features, and AWD ALL SEASON TIRES (majority people specifically look for that combo)
+1

The unfortunate truth is that perception matters.
Appreciate 0