Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Mission Presents | M-Link | At-Home Bench DME Flashback, Backup, Recover, and Unlock

08-05-2023, 05:23 AM   #45
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep
Drives: 05/2022 M340i xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
The hardware in the M-Link already contains unlocking capabilities for the 2021+ ECUs. Official support for these ECUs will be addressed and discussed for future releases.
I hope these aren´t empty words like back in 2021 when you talked about the 06/2020+ unlocks...
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1834548
ASAP10208.50
////\/\4164.50
ginohhh16.00
cilas21.50
      08-05-2023, 05:23 AM   #46
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i must be dreaming ... *slap *slap
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 05:24 AM   #47
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

can i use this to stop my throttle pedal having a mind of its own? it takes years before it decides to give me power when i step on the gas.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 05:29 AM   #48
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Ok, I will bite since no one has asked this more specific question regarding dealer detectability of any ECU “tampering” after using this device. I will ask this question using this basic scenario….

1. You purchase a car new off the showroom floor (one that is supported by the device now or in the future), bench unlock the DME and make a mirrror/backup of your DME shortly after the break-in period, say at 2000 miles.

2. You then tune to your hearts content, without any issues or engine damage, etc. Or maybe you do have a “problem”, but get it properly repaired by an Indy shop.

3. At about 10,000 miles, you bring your car back to the dealer for its first, included, routine oil service. Prior to doing so, you flash the DME back to stock, using the unmolested, stock backup/mirror tune created at 2000 miles….

Other than the mileage difference, there are other differences, stored in other ECUs in the car, from when the car was at 2000 miles vs now at 10,000 miles in this example. Assuming the dealer is looking, wouldn’t the dealer be still able to detect those differences, however slight, thus suspect potential engine DME tampering? So while the engine DME may be “fine” but when compared to the rest of the car, there could still be some “irregularities”.

I like what this product has to offer (and I don’t even have a car that “needs” it yet ). The potential “risks” of using this device, do not appear to be very significant. After all, the saying “you have to pay to play” is still applicable to this device (even though the price seems very reasonable). But I like to understand exactly what those risks are or may be, no matter how slight, before I would jump in to something like this….

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 5
      08-05-2023, 07:42 AM   #49
RNigel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
This is a game changer!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 08:04 AM   #50
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘20 m340ix

Will factory remote start work with this?
Appreciate 3
      08-05-2023, 09:22 AM   #51
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Does my 2020 F95 fall into the “pre 2021” line? I had a late model ‘20 F95 that requires a bench unlock.
      08-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #52
tsarty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40I

If we buy it now, and have a 2021+ (I have a 22X3 M40i) will it be the same product, we will just need to add an update to it?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 09:39 AM   #53
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarty View Post
If we buy it now, and have a 2021+ (I have a 22X3 M40i) will it be the same product, we will just need to add an update to it?
Same device. This is answered in original post. It will just need a firmware update.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 09:40 AM   #54
Dutt1113
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xdrive

Would this work on 2020+ M850?
      08-05-2023, 09:52 AM   #55
M Division
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M24, X6, R34 GTR

Fantastic, sounds like we're one step closer to unlocking post 2021 DMEs! Amazing stuff!
Appreciate 3
      08-05-2023, 11:04 AM   #56
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Does my 2020 F95 fall into the “pre 2021” line? I had a late model ‘20 F95 that requires a bench unlock.
Your vehicle for sure would still qualify as its MG1 based and pre 2021. I would however doublecheck the label on the ECU to get the exact production date. Also, you can reach out directly to us for tech support at "support@missiontuning.com"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA/\/\/\/\A_CT View Post
Will the factory remote start work with this?
The RS functionality is part of your OBD flashing, and this is the Backup/Unlock/Flashback physical device. For RS questions, I would reach out to your tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
can i use this to stop my throttle pedal having a mind of its own? it takes years before it decides to give me power when i step on the gas.
Same answer as above. This is not a "tune" but a device to perform the unlock/flashback/backup functions. Throttle pedal questions should be addressed with your tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Ok, I will bite since no one has asked this more specific question regarding dealer detectability of any ECU “tampering” after using this device. I will ask this question using this basic scenario….
Leaving a good question for last for today: That is a very interesting and good question you bring up. There is more than just restore functionality that goes into the Flashback (and even more to come!), however, Flashback was built on top of our EEPROM Recovery technology we released somewhere in 2019 with initial M340i offerings. Even though we have not publicized it much, over the years this offering has saved countless of customers at the dealer, and was pretty much the first product we offered that was complimentary to both our own platform and competitors. Recently, there has been more and more talk about it on these boards with people giving their real-life dealer experiences after doing our restoration service so it might be good to read over those and see what they came out with (not flagged for warranty work, etc). Also, it's worth mentioning that inconsistent data is NOT a ground for denial and flag, however concrete detection is. Below, ill put the summarized flagging functionality as well as two extreme examples:
Functionality
During the initial scan, a function AG9999 known as 'Tuning Detection" reads the vehicle data and extracts info including "plug and play variante suspected ", "plug and play DTCs suspected", and "tuning DTCs detected". With 11 of such parameters (was 9 just few months ago), the tool decides to either mark that DME is "Suspected of Tampering" or not.

Example Customer A: Comes in for turbo replacement to a dealer. The initial scan is ran, detecting "Plug And Play variant", aka any piggyback. The flag is set off only internally (since PnP is a level 2 detection currently). Now that data is transmitted to BMW warranty sector that will take that into account when issuing warranty repair orders. Since PnP flag can be set off ONLY by having actual piggyback (ok resistor trick with basic board can set it off as well), the warranty is denied even though the car looks fully stock. Why? Well because this specific flash has only one trigger function, that takes into account acceleration! So if you accelerated much faster then stock (letes hope you did, otherwsie the piggy-back did not actually function) and function detected other key parameters, this will be set off. BMW will also have access to "blackbox" data that outlines what performance paramaters (new one added is RPM/s, or RPM acceleration rate) were taken into account. To summrazie, you are screwed.

Example Customer B: Comes in with an identical car setup and the same complaint. The scan is ran, and no Flags aside from small chance of "low-Ilevel" is triggered (also level2). At this point, by perfoming Flashback, you lowered your detection chances from Flash to Piggyback, as to say. Now, this is where it gets very interesting: Unlike "pnp detection" that has only 1 trigger point, "low-Ilevel" has MULTIPLE with no "logs" as to what set it off as to say. So BMW now has a huge burden of proof to state that you performed some monipulation OR you had the car repaired somewhere else aside from their authroized dealer network (which you have full right to).
  • You took the car to get repaired at an independent shop. During repair, the car failed update 1, 2 or 3 times causing "low-Ilevel" error to be triggered. Based on "Right To Repair", you the user have all the right to take your car outside of BMW Dealer, so you are all in the clear.
  • You updated your car yourself using esys or ista at which time it failed few times but finally succesfully finished. Technically speaking, you actually did NOT violate your warrnty agreement as no aftermarket accessories were installed, and software in the car is authrozed by BMW, though potential flag registered a false positive.

Just with that above, you minimized your flagging risk from pretty serious to barelly any. Now, we enter a 3rd and most interesting aspect: The way it sits, M-Link has ability of performing backup unlimited number of times on your vehicle. With our upcoming updates, Version Control will be relased, and part of functionality will be lowering above mentioned risks even more. This function will alllow you to backup and restore to specific Verson so you have no way to even set off "low-Ilevel". Flow/Scenario:
  1. Perform initial backup before any modification.
  2. Modify and enjoy your car.
  3. Before going to dealer for software update (or even OTA updates), restore your DME's image to the initial backup.
  4. Go to dealer, get updatd to new version and drive home (or do this in the field if you like infront of dealer).
  5. Perform another backup. Now you have mirror image of your DME, still never modfieid, but of the same iLevel as BMW thinks you have
  6. Retune with platform of your choice.
  7. Boom goes the turbo.
  8. Restore the LAST backed-up image of your DME and go to dealership.
  9. "low-Ilevel" will not be set since your FW level matches exactly to what you left dealer with.
Appreciate 18
Vmaxx273.00
Rux651.50
jpowers36218.00
RNigel39.00
cilas21.50
JP.BSB9.00
BLK.G20215.50
gorthol68.50
Sonic RR127.50
jmciver1839.50
MAKH 588.50
Ruebarb380.00
      08-05-2023, 11:29 AM   #57
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 12:09 PM   #58
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Your vehicle for sure would still qualify as its MG1 based and pre 2021. I would however doublecheck the label on the ECU to get the exact production date. Also, you can reach out directly to us for tech support at "support@missiontuning.com"

The RS functionality is part of your OBD flashing, and this is the Backup/Unlock/Flashback physical device. For RS questions, I would reach out to your tuner.

Same answer as above. This is not a "tune" but a device to perform the unlock/flashback/backup functions. Throttle pedal questions should be addressed with your tuner.

Leaving a good question for last for today: That is a very interesting and good question you bring up. There is more than just restore functionality that goes into the Flashback (and even more to come!), however, Flashback was built on top of our EEPROM Recovery technology we released somewhere in 2019 with initial M340i offerings. Even though we have not publicized it much, over the years this offering has saved countless of customers at the dealer, and was pretty much the first product we offered that was complimentary to both our own platform and competitors. Recently, there has been more and more talk about it on these boards with people giving their real-life dealer experiences after doing our restoration service so it might be good to read over those and see what they came out with (not flagged for warranty work, etc). Also, it's worth mentioning that inconsistent data is NOT a ground for denial and flag, however concrete detection is. Below, ill put the summarized flagging functionality as well as two extreme examples:
Functionality
During the initial scan, a function AG9999 known as 'Tuning Detection" reads the vehicle data and extracts info including "plug and play variante suspected ", "plug and play DTCs suspected", and "tuning DTCs detected". With 11 of such parameters (was 9 just few months ago), the tool decides to either mark that DME is "Suspected of Tampering" or not.

Example Customer A: Comes in for turbo replacement to a dealer. The initial scan is ran, detecting "Plug And Play variant", aka any piggyback. The flag is set off only internally (since PnP is a level 2 detection currently). Now that data is transmitted to BMW warranty sector that will take that into account when issuing warranty repair orders. Since PnP flag can be set off ONLY by having actual piggyback (ok resistor trick with basic board can set it off as well), the warranty is denied even though the car looks fully stock. Why? Well because this specific flash has only one trigger function, that takes into account acceleration! So if you accelerated much faster then stock (letes hope you did, otherwsie the piggy-back did not actually function) and function detected other key parameters, this will be set off. BMW will also have access to "blackbox" data that outlines what performance paramaters (new one added is RPM/s, or RPM acceleration rate) were taken into account. To summrazie, you are screwed.

Example Customer B: Comes in with an identical car setup and the same complaint. The scan is ran, and no Flags aside from small chance of "low-Ilevel" is triggered (also level2). At this point, by perfoming Flashback, you lowered your detection chances from Flash to Piggyback, as to say. Now, this is where it gets very interesting: Unlike "pnp detection" that has only 1 trigger point, "low-Ilevel" has MULTIPLE with no "logs" as to what set it off as to say. So BMW now has a huge burden of proof to state that you performed some monipulation OR you had the car repaired somewhere else aside from their authroized dealer network (which you have full right to).
  • You took the car to get repaired at an independent shop. During repair, the car failed update 1, 2 or 3 times causing "low-Ilevel" error to be triggered. Based on "Right To Repair", you the user have all the right to take your car outside of BMW Dealer, so you are all in the clear.
  • You updated your car yourself using esys or ista at which time it failed few times but finally succesfully finished. Technically speaking, you actually did NOT violate your warrnty agreement as no aftermarket accessories were installed, and software in the car is authrozed by BMW, though potential flag registered a false positive.

Just with that above, you minimized your flagging risk from pretty serious to barelly any. Now, we enter a 3rd and most interesting aspect: The way it sits, M-Link has ability of performing backup unlimited number of times on your vehicle. With our upcoming updates, Version Control will be relased, and part of functionality will be lowering above mentioned risks even more. This function will alllow you to backup and restore to specific Verson so you have no way to even set off "low-Ilevel". Flow/Scenario:
  1. Perform initial backup before any modification.
  2. Modify and enjoy your car.
  3. Before going to dealer for software update (or even OTA updates), restore your DME's image to the initial backup.
  4. Go to dealer, get updatd to new version and drive home (or do this in the field if you like infront of dealer).
  5. Perform another backup. Now you have mirror image of your DME, still never modfieid, but of the same iLevel as BMW thinks you have
  6. Retune with platform of your choice.
  7. Boom goes the turbo.
  8. Restore the LAST backed-up image of your DME and go to dealership.
  9. "low-Ilevel" will not be set since your FW level matches exactly to what you left dealer with.
Wow it gets better and better. But the big win will be when post 6/20 DME will be supported! Perhaps within this year?
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 01:28 PM   #59
Jekkameister
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i Gran Coupe

Thank you for releasing such an awesome and much needed tool! Makes it much easier for at-home-mechanics to service their cars without having to wait for the DME Toby be sent back from a shop.

Does this work for all engine types? Or do we have to specify the engine we will be unlocking when we purchase? Thanks
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #60
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekkameister View Post
Thank you for releasing such an awesome and much needed tool! Makes it much easier for at-home-mechanics to service their cars without having to wait for the DME Toby be sent back from a shop.

Does this work for all engine types? Or do we have to specify the engine we will be unlocking when we purchase? Thanks
Thats our pleasure! Nope, nothing to specify. As long as your DME is MG1 prior to 06/20 as posted under our "Supported" category, you are all set. Once the tool arrives, you just plug it in and it will mate to whatever DME you have.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 04:43 PM   #61
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Pretty cool, following along.
Reasonable price

2023 M4 xd BSM
IG: MFor_YourPleasure
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 04:44 PM   #62
kingtr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i x-drive, Audi B9 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarty View Post
But honestly why buy it before it has the necessary software/firmware to be compatible with 2021+? I have a 2021 and think this looks like a great product but will be keeping my money in my pocket until it’s ready.
Appreciate 1
imOFP210.50
      08-05-2023, 04:57 PM   #63
Loco20
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Thats our pleasure! Nope, nothing to specify. As long as your DME is MG1 prior to 06/20 as posted under our "Supported" category, you are all set. Once the tool arrives, you just plug it in and it will mate to whatever DME you have.

I have a 22 m340 and I had planned to send my dme out to femto at the end of this month with this being released I’m reconsidering now.. I’m assuming that the flash back function would only work on an untouched ( non femto unlocked) dme?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 04:59 PM   #64
Loco20
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtr View Post
But honestly why buy it before it has the necessary software/firmware to be compatible with 2021+? I have a 2021 and think this looks like a great product but will be keeping my money in my pocket until it’s ready.
I was thinking the same thing I’m just praying the release it soon for us 21+ guys
Appreciate 1
imOFP210.50
      08-05-2023, 07:59 PM   #65
Kennyk1v
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340xi

If purchased choosing unlock only option but we’ve already purchased a tune through you and selected the eeprom backup does that transfer to this to be able to flashback or are we required to purchase the super license license.

Also. Any update on the app release so that remote start can be used without keeping key card in tray..
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      08-05-2023, 08:14 PM   #66
Hovo_1123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

If I have multiple cars that need to be bench unlocked, how many times can the license be transferred between vehicles? Can you elaborate on how that system works?
Appreciate 0