Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Downpipe weird jolting and jerky issues g20

05-20-2023, 10:09 PM   #1
donhasit
United_States
Rep
Drives: G22 M440I

Downpipe weird jolting and jerky issues g20

I recently installed a high flow catted downpipe through CTS turbo on a 2020 330i
Im having an issue where the car will randomly jolt it can be in any gear but usually 5 and above. it's not it changing gears either it'll say in let's say 8 and randomly jolt and I can power out of it. It's really bad in eco mode and comfort not as bad in sport. Im running bm3 stage 2 and xhp stage 3.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2023, 10:13 PM   #2
donhasit
United_States
Rep

0 codes either just random jolts when in low rpm and pressing very slightly on pedal. Rpm's don't jump up when happens cars usually no shifting when it happens it's not consistent with a particular gear either. I have absolutely no idea besides maybe boost leak or o2 sensor but wouldn't that not matter with new stage 2 map
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2023, 10:50 PM   #3
4cylenjoyer
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i 2019

Had the same issue- except I was using a CTS turbo catless downpipe for b46. I fixed it by getting a custom tune, the bm3 ots maps did not run good on my car even using the ACN maps with added E per , pro tuninf freaks support. I get stock like mpg now as well so overall custom is way better than OTS.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 11:06 PM   #4
donhasit
United_States
Rep

I can confirm that I replaced my spark plugs and coil packs and that fixed my car. Seems though could be a coil pack issue as i've seen a few issues here about them. Replaced with Dinan, car had 27k miles. Spark Plugs weren't great either
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 04:27 PM   #5
bmwdonut
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

How's the car holding up now? I also have a G20 330i, and having jerking issues in higher gears around the 1500-1800rpm range. Gets pretty bad in 8th gear on the freeway. I have a catless VRSF downpipe with BM3 Stage 2 tune on it. I replaced the spark plugs a few thousand miles ago with OE plugs, and I just ordered the Dinan ignition coils and hopefully that will fix my issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhasit View Post
I can confirm that I replaced my spark plugs and coil packs and that fixed my car. Seems though could be a coil pack issue as i've seen a few issues here about them. Replaced with Dinan, car had 27k miles. Spark Plugs weren't great either
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 06:50 AM   #6
bbbbadfish
Rep
Drives: G20 330e - M-Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 420D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdonut View Post
How's the car holding up now? I also have a G20 330i, and having jerking issues in higher gears around the 1500-1800rpm range. Gets pretty bad in 8th gear on the freeway. I have a catless VRSF downpipe with BM3 Stage 2 tune on it. I replaced the spark plugs a few thousand miles ago with OE plugs, and I just ordered the Dinan ignition coils and hopefully that will fix my issue.
Did this fix the issue? I got the exact same issue. Replaced plugs and coils but still same..

Ive heard from other people now that this happened after downpipe and putting the OEM one back on fixed it. Cant see why though and havent tried myself

My car is a 2020 330e btw. (With the B 330i engine)
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 08:46 AM   #7
pirulitog20
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbadfish View Post
Did this fix the issue? I got the exact same issue. Replaced plugs and coils but still same..

Ive heard from other people now that this happened after downpipe and putting the OEM one back on fixed it. Cant see why though and havent tried myself

My car is a 2020 330e btw. (With the B 330i engine)
I had the same issue, changed the spark plugs and it didn't help, when
I put back OEM cat/DP the jerking was gone, haven't touched anything else. My assumption is that since most tunners use the same base map it has some failures on low RPM O2 sensors reading, that's why a lot of us have this issue.
Appreciate 1