Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques 330i track day prep

04-23-2024, 12:48 PM   #1
Garf117
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

330i track day prep

Hello! This is my first post here so please be gentle. I'm looking to prepare my 21 330i for it's first track day and wanted some suggestions/discussion.

I'm going to be running at Road Atlanta June 15th. The car will be stock aside from a JB+ boost controller running +3.5 boost (more on this later), Michelin PS4 tires, and some sort of new brake fluid TBD.

Car:
2021 330i m sport package (does not have the m brakes)
52k miles

Prep so far:
fresh oil (5w30 liquid molly from fcpeuro)
new NGK 94201 spark plugs gapped to .22
freshish OE pads and rotors
fresh brake fluid is planned but no specifics yet
new MPS4 tires to ruin

Questions:

What are people running for brake fluid?

Thoughts on removing the JP+ for the track day? I'm going to push the car a bit and it'll likely be a warm dry day in Georgia heat.

Should I bother to get sticker brake pads for this or just burn through the OE's? I will likely be picking up M Performance brakes after this so is it worth it?

Has anyone run the G20 330i anywhere and have any advise on how the car handles/what to look out for?

BIG QUESTION... the car has 51k miles on it. Should I change the trans fluid before I go. It would be expensive and mean i would have to drop other parts of prep work to do it. Have people tracked the zf8 with that high of mileage on trans fluid much?

Overall, this will kind of be a recon session so I can what the car needs for future HPDE days. I'm not looking to find the fastest lap time, more trying to see where the weak spots are and what doesn't need sorting. My last track day at RA was 6 years ago in an ecoboost mustang so this will be a good comparison.

PIC FOR ATTENTION AND CUZ WHY NOT
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 03:53 PM   #2
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

My first track day with my M340 was last year and I ran bone stock. I didn't want to spend extra money without knowing if I'd enjoy it with the car, or without understanding what's needed. I went through a set of front OEM pads in the weekend; rears were okay. Rotors are fine and being reused this year. If I were you I probably would just run the stock pads. For this year I bought new wheels, 200TW tires, Project Mu HC-CS pads, and Endless RF-650 fluid. Last year I used a low viscosity brake fluid (i.e., what OEM is spec'd for), but you could consider getting a normal viscosity fluid for this. My car was also speed limited to ~130 mph because of the stock all season run flats. I've since removed that with MHD Stage 0.

One thing I did not like, and I'm not sure if it's the same with the 330i, was Sport/Sport+ in automatic made the transmission extremely sensitive, in that any pedal pressure coming out of a corner was downshifting multiple gears as if I was wanting to floor it at all times. This year I'm going to be using it in manual shifting, and just let the transmission downshift when needed into corners, and then be able to further control it myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:36 PM   #3
Garf117
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
One thing I did not like, and I'm not sure if it's the same with the 330i, was Sport/Sport+ in automatic made the transmission extremely sensitive, in that any pedal pressure coming out of a corner was downshifting multiple gears as if I was wanting to floor it at all times. This year I'm going to be using it in manual shifting, and just let the transmission downshift when needed into corners, and then be able to further control it myself.
So you were in Sport/+ but letting the car shift itself when you ran into this? I was planning to use the paddles pretty must always on track but I hope if I'm in manual mode with the paddles it stays in higher gears under WOT. It would suck to be coming out of a corner in 3rd, roll onto the throttle and it jump down to 2nd automatically. Could cause a spin.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:38 PM   #4
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf117 View Post
So you were in Sport/+ but letting the car shift itself when you ran into this? I was planning to use the paddles pretty must always on track but I hope if I'm in manual mode with the paddles it stays in higher gears under WOT. It would suck to be coming out of a corner in 3rd, roll onto the throttle and it jump down to 2nd automatically. Could cause a spin.
If you’re in manual mode you’re good. It will only downshift on its own to prevent a stall. In Sport/+ not in manual mode is when I was experiencing the extreme downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 09:14 PM   #5
chrispy28_xd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

If you're at a level where you're comfortable threshold braking, then I would definitely move up to race fluid. Stock fluid is no good on these cars in a high performance setting.

I recommend removing JB+. I had it on mine back in my earlier days, and the ECU always complained, then eventually the car went into limp mode in one session.

I'm not too familiar with the stock rotors/calipers on a 330i, but better brake pads is way better bang for buck. Upgrading your entire brake system is hardly worth it unless you're at time trial pace or the stock setup is really bad (doubtful). Plenty of fast advanced drivers stick to their OEM rotors/calipers and just use track pads.

Regarding trans fluid, my shop didn't charge much for a flush (<$200 IIRC). I did at 30k miles, but I'm also at the track at least once a month for the past 2 years. I would do it just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:08 PM   #6
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Everything Chris said above, I concur. Especially for this being your “recon” track day just to learn the car. Expect the car to have heavy body roll and not grip very well with heavy cornering. Brake early as you get familiar with the cars weight and chassis dynamics. Have fun!
      04-24-2024, 02:20 AM   #7
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
The Nordschleife is a bit different than a circuit... I have M-Sport brakes on my 330i; I have Turner steel lines and I'm running Motul RBF 660 fluid. I've never had anything close to brake fade. Next year I'll probably upgrade to Endless MX72+ pads.

The BMW* MPS4S do well on 'Ring, not sure about your situation though.

I have the Dinan piggyback set at Sport, so not too much extra boost.

The car is set at Sport Individual which has the suspension at Comfort and Transmission at Sport.

Pretty good times...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:31 AM   #8
chrispy28_xd
Private
United_States
Rep

The ring isn't your typical track where you have to scrub a lot of speed several times in 90s-2m lap, and there isn't enough time in between corners to cool the system.

Tire choice should be based on skill and situation. If your car is primarily a daily, and you're still at the beginning stages of your motorsports journey, then PS4S will serve you just fine. For me, if I were to run those tires, I'd cook them after the second hot lap, and I may not even get 2 track days out of them. Once you start picking up pace, an endurance tire should be the next step, but keep in mind some track-ready tires might not be comfortable on the street (noise, too much feedback, etc).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:56 AM   #9
Garf117
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy28_xd View Post
If you're at a level where you're comfortable threshold braking, then I would definitely move up to race fluid. Stock fluid is no good on these cars in a high performance setting.

I recommend removing JB+. I had it on mine back in my earlier days, and the ECU always complained, then eventually the car went into limp mode in one session.

I'm not too familiar with the stock rotors/calipers on a 330i, but better brake pads is way better bang for buck. Upgrading your entire brake system is hardly worth it unless you're at time trial pace or the stock setup is really bad (doubtful). Plenty of fast advanced drivers stick to their OEM rotors/calipers and just use track pads.

Regarding trans fluid, my shop didn't charge much for a flush (<$200 IIRC). I did at 30k miles, but I'm also at the track at least once a month for the past 2 years. I would do it just for peace of mind.
Thank you! I've run Motul 660 in the past. Still work or does BMW need something specific. All my previous experience is with Honda/Mazda, nothing euro.

Where are you located that you got a shop to do the trans fluid replacement for $200? I have find the parts for less than $350ish. BMW wants to charge $900 to have it done with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 11:36 AM   #10
chrispy28_xd
Private
United_States
Rep

Motul 660 is fine, though I go with Castrol SRF. I'm in the Bay Area, but my shop surprisingly didn't charge much for flushing and replacing the diff fluid. I'm guessing it's because it doesn't take very long (~1 hr of labor), so most of the cost was just the fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:33 AM   #11
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Don't forget to prep the driver. Sleep the night before. Bring water, food, shade, hat, chair, towels, jacket/sweatshirt, rain jacket, umbrella, and if you don't mind the extra setup a canopy.

For the car bring a torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, bottle of brake fluid, quart of oil, and fill up with gas before you get the to the track. Way cheaper than at the track. If you really push it extra brake pads and a way to jack up the car to change them.

All of this can pretty much fit in a couple of totes. Make sure the totes are water proof.

If I may, a few pieces of advice.
  • Slow is fast, meaning don't overdrive the car. Work your way up to speed.
  • You are better to turn into a corner later than earlier and adjust as you go along. Turning in early leads to more spins and off track excursions that turning in late.
  • If you can have an instructor ride along do it! Best performance mod you can get.
  • Have fun. That is the reason for going.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 04:08 PM   #12
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I used this checklist as a template.

https://frontstreet.media/2020/06/10...r-every-event/
      05-02-2024, 12:47 PM   #13
Garf117
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Don't forget to prep the driver. Sleep the night before. Bring water, food, shade, hat, chair, towels, jacket/sweatshirt, rain jacket, umbrella, and if you don't mind the extra setup a canopy.

For the car bring a torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, bottle of brake fluid, quart of oil, and fill up with gas before you get the to the track. Way cheaper than at the track. If you really push it extra brake pads and a way to jack up the car to change them.

All of this can pretty much fit in a couple of totes. Make sure the totes are water proof.

If I may, a few pieces of advice.
  • Slow is fast, meaning don't overdrive the car. Work your way up to speed.
  • You are better to turn into a corner later than earlier and adjust as you go along. Turning in early leads to more spins and off track excursions that turning in late.
  • If you can have an instructor ride along do it! Best performance mod you can get.
  • Have fun. That is the reason for going.
Always solid advise! I should have given better account of my experience. This will be my 5th track day, 2nd at Road Atlanta.
Appreciate 1
Dan B297.50
      Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #14
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf117 View Post
Always solid advise! I should have given better account of my experience. This will be my 5th track day, 2nd at Road Atlanta.
Funny how initials can be regional. You say RA and I think Road America.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0