Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What did you learn or discover about your G20 3 Series recently?

02-24-2024, 05:14 PM   #1497
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive Touring LCI

Saw how others been asking about this too and receiving the same answer, how the information is in the PDF you're referring to.

Weird why this information isn't in the manual you have access to via the app nor in the car.

Anyways, great to have the answer 🙂
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1291.00
      02-25-2024, 12:22 PM   #1498
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
It's brilliant. People get so caught up in the "I hate the climate controls what no buttons on iDrive 8!" argument that they fail to realize you don't need physical buttons anymore because iDrive solves it for you on those recommended settings.
I had a loaner with iDrive and I was pleasantly surprised how it worked. Mine was 2021 base model with analog gauges(!!!) and lots of buttons, so I do keep pressing.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos313.00
      02-26-2024, 07:07 AM   #1499
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I had a loaner with iDrive and I was pleasantly surprised how it worked. Mine was 2021 base model with analog gauges(!!!) and lots of buttons, so I do keep pressing.
OMG, what a horrible dealership to put you in an analog loaner. It's inhumane!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 08:18 AM   #1500
Usual Suspect
Registered
Rep
Drives: BWM 330i

BMW Subscription

Found that my 3 years are up so I received a message that for $125 I can keep using my features, while paying for a couple that my car does not and will not have. But since I like to use my phone to chat with my car, of course ended up paying. Feels a little like a hostage situation...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 08:56 AM   #1501
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual Suspect View Post
Found that my 3 years are up so I received a message that for $125 I can keep using my features, while paying for a couple that my car does not and will not have. But since I like to use my phone to chat with my car, of course ended up paying. Feels a little like a hostage situation...
Toyota charges more than this and has less features. I was surprised.
      02-26-2024, 09:36 AM   #1502
Stu In Blackpool
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 320D Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
I had no choice - I couldn't find the cassette player ;-)

Over three years later I know, but this made me LOL

G21 320D Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 03:16 PM   #1503
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
OMG, what a horrible dealership to put you in an analog loaner. It's inhumane!
Actually my own car is analog, the dealer did give me a digital loaner with iDrive8 and parking assist and backtrack 140 feet and surround view, etc, etc. it was fun playing with the features but I likely won't use those features that much.
Appreciate 2
toddwalton1291.00
gnolivos313.00
      02-26-2024, 03:25 PM   #1504
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

I ignored HUD almost 100% of the time in my digital loaner, unless I moved it into my line of sight. Does anyone have similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:00 PM   #1505
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
I ignored HUD almost 100% of the time in my digital loaner, unless I moved it into my line of sight. Does anyone have similar experience?
I don't use HUD at all on my iD8 car at all. Reasons:

1. I only need it for the speedometer and the speedometer that comes with the car is digital, and easy to see, so it's a redundancy.

2. There is this large 'line' on the display that makes the whole HUD look bigger than it actually is and makes it a distraction. Used to be a subtle two-digit speedo. Now it's like a large 'zone' due to this line.

3. The standard dual-screen iD8 system is huge. Hell, it's almost too big. Last thing I need is a third screen telling me the same stuff as the two enormous ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:08 PM   #1506
radarguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix, 2023 X3 M40ix

Quote:
That's the idea. You set it just low enough so that it is completely visible. Then you tend to ignore it because it is out of your line of sight. But if you want to use it you lower your eyes without having to refocus them because the head-up display is focused somewhere in front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 07:59 PM   #1507
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Funnily enough, the HUD is one of the things I'd never have separately ordered for my car or thought that I'd want, but which I have come to REALLY like and now miss when I drive other vehicles without it. I don't find it at all distracting, in fact the reverse - I use it constantly, and it's especially good when you're using cruise (as I do almost all the time) and the navigation system. It's particularly useful for those of us past the first flush of youth who need bifocal/varifocal glasses, so there's no issue about seeing the instruments/screen on the dash.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos313.00
      02-26-2024, 10:32 PM   #1508
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't use HUD at all on my iD8 car at all. Reasons:

1. I only need it for the speedometer and the speedometer that comes with the car is digital, and easy to see, so it's a redundancy.

2. There is this large 'line' on the display that makes the whole HUD look bigger than it actually is and makes it a distraction. Used to be a subtle two-digit speedo. Now it's like a large 'zone' due to this line.

3. The standard dual-screen iD8 system is huge. Hell, it's almost too big. Last thing I need is a third screen telling me the same stuff as the two enormous ones.
Yeah the dual screen has lots of readily available info, so the HUD seems a bit redundant to me.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1291.00
      03-09-2024, 05:22 AM   #1509
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

I found the HUD very distracting at first when I got my new car. I often found myself focusing more on the HUD than what was outside of the car which of course isn't ideal.

Now though after having the car for about 4 months, I love the HUD and wouldn't want to be without it. Now it's almost like it's not there anymore even when it's enabled. It's like my eyes and brain learned to see "past" the HUD. Then when I do need it, it's there to very quickly give me the information I need.
Appreciate 2
gnolivos313.00
zlatko112.00
      03-09-2024, 08:57 AM   #1510
zlatko
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

WebMaximus: yeah - I was on/off with the HUD experimenting with it. I never been distracted by it, but at first I was all the time looking at the IC to check the speed instead of using HUD. Decided it's not worth and turned it off, but found I actually miss it Took me 3-4 months to make a habit using it. Same goes not only with speed in HUD, but other data as phone calls, music tracks, etc. - I now prefer all that info to be shown in HUD instead of IC. I would not say I can't live without it, but it's convenient.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 10:27 AM   #1511
James Cole
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
You guys are thinking about this wrong.
I use sprint more to "prepare" the car for a situation where I anticipate I will need to quickly overtake, but the key here is, I want the car to be ready but NOT accelerate yet. I also use this before entering tight curves on the backroads. Gives that safe grip feel with the lower gear.

Yes you can do the same by manually downshifting a few times but this takes the guesswork away from finding the lowest safe gear at any given point in time.

Not to mention it ALSO puts the car into sports mode for you (assuming you are in latest firmware, and presumably that you have a mild hybrid version of the car too).
Sorry old post I know but had to laugh at this… I do own a 24 m340i but also a Model X Plaid which makes the above post completely comical… Electric cars have such great potential.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 04:29 PM   #1512
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cole View Post
Sorry old post I know but had to laugh at this… I do own a 24 m340i but also a Model X Plaid which makes the above post completely comical… Electric cars have such great potential.
Sorry I had to laugh at this. I do own a Bloodhound SSC, which makes the above post completely comical.... Rocket cars have such great potential.
      03-10-2024, 07:36 AM   #1513
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cole View Post
Electric cars have such great potential.
Unfortunately, it seems except for Tesla, the infrastructure is still lacking. Range is still a problem. And If you purchased an electric car for climate reasons, 60% of the electricity is produced by fossil fuels. I almost purchased one. I'm happy that the BMW dealer couldn't come up with allocation back in August/Sept 2022 for any i4' M50's. Built a M340i instead.
      03-10-2024, 08:05 AM   #1514
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley@07726 View Post
I'm happy that the BMW dealer couldn't come up with allocation back in August/Sept 2022 for any i4' M50's. Built a M340i instead.
Interesting to read, reflecting my situating exactly where I was considering the i4 M50 but for the same reason you mention lost my appetite when I heard I would had to wait for about 15 months to have the car delivered. This was when it had just been released. Maybe the situation has improved since.

Anyway, last summer I ordered the LCI version of the M340i and had it delivered November last year and I couldn't be more happy! Absolutely amazing car and I LOVE the sound of the B58!!

Had a 2014 M235i and that was a great car as well but the new M340i with all new technology, having 4 doors this time and lots of space when needed with the Touring model I got...couldn't really be more pleased and like you say...so happy I didn't end up buying the i4.

Now I can't wait to get the summer tyres back on since I only had one day to enjoy them before I had to switch to winter tyres back in November last year.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 08:28 AM   #1515
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMaximus View Post
Interesting to read, reflecting my situating exactly where I was considering the i4 M50 but for the same reason you mention lost my appetite when I heard I would had to wait for about 15 months to have the car delivered. This was when it had just been released. Maybe the situation has improved since.

Anyway, last summer I ordered the LCI version of the M340i and had it delivered November last year and I couldn't be more happy! Absolutely amazing car and I LOVE the sound of the B58!!

Had a 2014 M235i and that was a great car as well but the new M340i with all new technology, having 4 doors this time and lots of space when needed with the Touring model I got...couldn't really be more pleased and like you say...so happy I didn't end up buying the i4.

Now I can't wait to get the summer tyres back on since I only had one day to enjoy them before I had to switch to winter tyres back in November last year.
It bothered me to have to wait so long (like you said) for the i4. I didn't like that there was a good probability (right or wrong) that I was going to end up with a model with less range than new models coming out in 15 - 18 months when I would be receiving the i4.