Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

11-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Grinding/wind noise

A few weeks ago, I picked up my 330i M-sport from the dealer and right away I noticed a weird sound in the cabin, sounding something like a mix of a grinding noise and a wind/tire noise. Took it to the dealer and he replaced the front wheel bearings. That didn't help. He tried with another set of wheels (different tire brand) - that didn't help either. The sound starts around 20 mph and is pretty constant all the way up to 80 mph. It's really annoying and the dealer shop hasn't been able to locate the source of the noise yet. Does anyone have a suggestion where to look or what could make this sound?

The noise tend to get a little better on new and fresh asfalt which could indicate tires. But this was already ruled out with a different set of tires. Actually we have tried with two different sets of summer tires and one set of winter tires. Makes no difference what so ever.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:39 AM   #2
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Also 330i G21 (M-sport with adaptive suspension) owner and I've noticed the same noise. Initially I thought it's because of crappy run flat winter tires but now you got me slightly worried that this might be something else.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Also 330i G21 (M-sport with adaptive suspension) owner and I've noticed the same noise. Initially I thought it's because of crappy run flat winter tires but now you got me slightly worried that this might be something else.
I was thinking the same thing to begin with - must be crappy runflat tires. Until I changed to winter tires and found that the noise was still there.

Let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:53 AM   #4
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

I have the exact same noise in My BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport! I initially thought it was bad tires, but after replacing my summer tires with winther tires - the problem is still there. Its annoying as hell as I can't focus on anything else than that stupid background noise.

I took it to the dealer friday and he mentioned that another customer had the same issue. Maybe its you Claus? BAG Aarhus?
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 06:29 AM   #5
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Still my best bet would be that it is tires/wheels related - sometimes the noise changes slightly with the change of asphalt type (same as Claus noticed). Maybe the soundproofing of the wheel arches? Maybe it comes from the back and it is specific to the touring body?

Are you able to check this issue with the dealer on some other G21? (I cannot do that at the moment, and my dealer will probably say just "meh, that's normal"). Maybe that's just a design flaw with G21?

Or maybe the problem is with our sensitive ears My passengers generally don't pick up this noise by themselves unless I specifically tell them what to listen to, only then they generally confirm.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:12 AM   #6
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

It's the asphalt or type of road you are on. I have the same noise coming from my cars I own. 4 BMW'S, its the cheap road material used to resurface roads and your tires are picking up the sound and transferring it into the cabin. Just turn your radio up and try to ignore it. Now I say this based on my experience and do not pretend to be an expert and do not want to be flamed for it.....
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Bigface
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 e40

I heard similar wind noise recently. It seems it is due to some leaves debris stuck in side window slot rubber. You can clean it after you put down the window.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
It's the asphalt or type of road you are on. I have the same noise coming from my cars I own. 4 BMW'S, its the cheap road material used to resurface roads and your tires are picking up the sound and transferring it into the cabin. Just turn your radio up and try to ignore it. Now I say this based on my experience and do not pretend to be an expert and do not want to be flamed for it.....
I appreciate your input, but I really doubt it's the asphalt. I've had several BMWs and none of those have had this issue. Our roads are pretty good as well. At the dealer the other day, I test drove a 320d Touring 2019 without these symptoms.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      12-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by libosun View Post
I heard similar wind noise recently. It seems it is due to some leaves debris stuck in side window slot rubber. You can clean it after you put down the window.
Then it's not he same noise. This was a problem from the minute I picked up the car at the dealer - brand new.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #10
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

I picked up a G21 with 18” M (non rft) a week ago and heard a annoying grinding noise. My dealer located it to a bad bearing and replaced it. Maybe the noise got a little better, but it still there. The dealer tried some other wheels and they said it disappeared They also tried a set of the same wheels as I have but from another car in my car and they had the same noise. I run on Bridgestone Turanza and the dealer is now waiting for a respond from BMW how to proceed. I’m not sure that it’s only the tyres because I hear it also with my wintertyres but much quieter. I’m finding it very strange that they replaced a bad bearing and then said it also is the tyres! On a brand new car!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I picked up a G21 with 18" M (non rft) a week ago and heard a annoying grinding noise. My dealer located it to a bad bearing and replaced it. Maybe the noise got a little better, but it still there. The dealer tried some other wheels and they said it disappeared They also tried a set of the same wheels as I have but from another car in my car and they had the same noise. I run on Bridgestone Turanza and the dealer is now waiting for a respond from BMW how to proceed. I'm not sure that it's only the tyres because I hear it also with my wintertyres but much quieter. I'm finding it very strange that they replaced a bad bearing and then said it also is the tyres! On a brand new car!
They are very fast to jump the conclusions. And blaming it on the tires is just a little to easy. I tried two different sets of Pirelli and one set of Bridgestone. It is equally bad on all three sets. Fortunately my dealer has acknowledged that the noise shouldn't be there (two different mechanics in the BMW workshop)

I'm wondering if the noise could come from a bad bearing in the back, as the two front bearings already have been changed. Hopefully they will figure it out soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #12
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
I have the exact same noise in My BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport! I initially thought it was bad tires, but after replacing my summer tires with winther tires - the problem is still there. Its annoying as hell as I can't focus on anything else than that stupid background noise.

I took it to the dealer friday and he mentioned that another customer had the same issue. Maybe its you Claus? BAG Aarhus?
Yes - that is indeed me. :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
XXXX
Private
Rep

Do you, who have this problem, have 18 or 19”? I borrowed a 320d xdrive sedan with 19” and it had not this sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #14
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you, who have this problem, have 18 or 19”? I borrowed a 320d xdrive sedan with 19” and it had not this sound.
In my case it's 18". One of the summer tires sets could have been 17" but not sure. I also tried a 320d Touring 2019 from the dealer, and there were no issues found here.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #15
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausmoll View Post
In my case it's 18". One of the summer tires sets could have been 17" but not sure. I also tried a 320d Touring 2019 from the dealer, and there were no issues found here.
Were it 18 or 19” on the car with no issues?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #16
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Was it the new G21 or the old one?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #17
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Was it the new G21 or the old one?
The new G21
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #18
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No - those were 17"
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #19
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Quote:
No - those were 17"
Is your moonroof tilted? I only hear the sound from the drivers window when I have it on tilt makes no sense but that's what I have discovered so far
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:02 AM   #20
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Were it 18 or 19" on the car with no issues?
No - those were 17"
Is your moonroof tilted? I only hear the sound from the drivers window when I have it on tilt makes no sense but that's what I have discovered so far
I don't think mine is wind noise. I have the acoustic windows and it's really silent from the windows.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:05 AM   #21
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I thougt that it could be the front diff at first but I see that you got the 2wd? So it must be something else.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:01 AM   #22
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

I'm running on 18"s as well. I'm using the same wheels, but changed the tires to a Hankock winter tire. Could it be a wheel problem?

My BMW dealer (same as Claus' apparently :-)) did also acknowledge the weird sound, so they are aware of the problem.

I think it's important that all of us, with grinding noise, contact our local BMW dealers, so that they are aware of the problem.

To me, it sounds a bit like a wheel bolt touching the hub or something like that? And it sounds like its comming from my right front wheel.
Appreciate 0