4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Ordered M340i but can't decide on wheels

04-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
SunshineSail
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Ordered M340i but can't decide on wheels

So I put down a deposit on an M340i (woohoo!). I went with the Portimao Blue.

My issue is I can't really decide if I'm happy with the rims. I do NOT want 4 wheel drive (more reasons than fit this thread), but I do live in the DC region so we have reasonably cold winters, and do get some snow. As such, I'd strongly prefer all season tires. My 2016 340i had a square setup (225s all around). This never made me happy. I really like the staggered look in the rear and I found the 340i to be severely traction limited in 1st gear. The M340i will be even worse I presume!

Herein lies the delimma: if you require a staggered setup with all seasons, 1PE with 790M rims is the only choice. Has anyone seen these rims live? How do they look?

I LOVE the look of the 792M rims (at least online), but if you require a staggered setup, the are summer only, arg!

Any suggestions for how to settle this mental quandary??

TIA!
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSail View Post

My issue is I can't really decide if I'm happy with the rims. I do NOT want 4 wheel drive (more reasons than fit this thread), but I do live in the DC region so we have reasonably cold winters, and do get some snow. As such, I'd strongly prefer all season tires. My 2016 340i had a square setup (225s all around). This never made me happy. I really like the staggered look in the rear and I found the 340i to be severely traction limited in 1st gear. The M340i will be even worse I presume!

Herein lies the delimma: if you require a staggered setup with all seasons, 1PE with 790M rims is the only choice. Has anyone seen these rims live? How do they look?

I LOVE the look of the 792M rims (at least online), but if you require a staggered setup, the are summer only, arg!

TIA!
This is easy.... if you want to go all seasons (skipping the winter/summer debate)

Order the rims you want staggered and then change the tires for a set of pilot sport A/S 3+. Top rated all season for dry handling and road feel.This is what I did with my F32, best look is the staggered 19s and bmw only ships them with summer only.

Save your original tires for lease turn in or just as an extra set if purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
SunshineSail
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
This is easy.... if you want to go all seasons (skipping the winter/summer debate)

Order the rims you want staggered and then change the tires for a set of pilot sport A/S 3+. Top rated all season for dry handling and road feel.This is what I did with my F32, best look is the staggered 19s and bmw only ships them with summer only.

Save your original tires for lease turn in or just as an extra set if purchasing.
I had considered doing what you're saying. I did that on a 330i convertible many moons ago. Its a pain!

More data: I read last night that the non-run flats add the spare tire (known), but this spare tire decreases the trunk size. Ugh!

Just noticed the 19" rims are available with all season run flats in a square setup. I wonder if that's the best compromise. These would be 8" rims rather than 7.5" for the 18's. Wonder if I can make a 245 tire have the same circumference and do a homemade staggered setup (225/245).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
I had considered doing what you're saying. I did that on a 330i convertible many moons ago. Its a pain!
Really? what issues did you have? storage? otherwise its two 1 hour trips to your local tire shop... one shortly after delivery and one ~ 3 years later before turn in
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
SunshineSail
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Really? what issues did you have? storage? otherwise its two 1 hour trips to your local tire shop... one shortly after delivery and one ~ 3 years later before turn in
No real issues. It was just a pain. I live in DC so I don't have room to store them at my house.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #6
autobahn75
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I went 18” 790m. In NJ you can get away with 18” and not to need tire and wheel protection. That said I love the 19” 792m wheels and will cry every time I see them.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
SunshineSail
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn75 View Post
I went 18” 790m. In NJ you can get away with 18” and not to need tire and wheel protection. That said I love the 19” 792m wheels and will cry every time I see them.
That's how I felt. The 792M's were just too appealing. In the end I decided to give up the staggered setup and go with the 792M's. For once I went form over function.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
If you don't want to deal with swapping tires separately, order the wheels you want and have the dealer service department also order the all season tires you want separately. Then when the car arrives have the dealer swap out the tires. Of course this will cost you more $$$.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:47 AM   #9
JimmyM340
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 -M340 ordering soon

Smile

Quote:

TIA!

We also plan to order the Portimao Blue Metallic.
And chose the 19” M Double Spoke cerium
Grey wheels. 792M w/high performance
Runflat tires. Love the look of the 19”s and
The wheel design.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #10
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i RWD

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
We also plan to order the Portimao Blue Metallic.
And chose the 19" M Double Spoke cerium
Grey wheels. 792M w/high performance
Runflat tires. Love the look of the 19"s and
The wheel design.
Do you know if those 792M wheels you ordered are staggered or square with the AS tires? I keep finding conflicting info on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

From what I gather you can get 792M with square A/S tires, staggered run flat summer tires, or staggered non run flat tires. If you go non run flats you get spare tire setup.

I would also recommend the option to swap staggered setup to the tire of your choice on delivery or local tire shop. Sometimes you can even find a buyer for your OEM tires and meet at tire shop for them to pick up or install on the spot and keep you from having to lug them around or store them.

Personally I want PS4S but prefer 791M and no spare tire so will probably put my own tires on.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
From what I gather you can get 792M with square A/S tires, staggered run flat summer tires, or staggered non run flat tires. If you go non run flats you get spare tire setup.
Ok, got it, thanks! So 792M is staggered only with summer tires, not AS. Do we know which tires the summer RFTs are?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #13
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Ok, got it, thanks! So 792M is staggered only with summer tires, not AS. Do we know which tires the summer RFTs are?
I've seen Pirelli Pzero (new ones) and Goodyears. I think I would be pissed if I got Goodyears but then would just put on my own tire choice and slap that crap back on for lease turn in.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #14
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:

TIA!
I am in the DC region as well and I just ordered my 340ix. I got the 792M rims but had to get the summer run flat tires so that I could get the staggered rims and speed limiter increased. Sucks I had to order it this way but it is what it is. I usually don't like any cars factory tires so I plan on running the summer tires until November and replace them with good all seasons like Conti Extreme Contact in a staggered setup. I have them on my IS350 now and love them. I will just have to carry a can of fix a flat with me.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #15
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

So is it requirement to put deposit down? My dealer somehow didn't ask for deposit and it looks like they put my car on their site as in transit car, which means anyone can buy it?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #16
evo2335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G37 IPL (340i on the way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
So is it requirement to put deposit down? My dealer somehow didn't ask for deposit and it looks like they put my car on their site as in transit car, which means anyone can buy it?
In the same boat cosmo. Ordered my car and never put a down payment. I have screen shots and emails of pricing so hopefully nothing changes when I pick up the car. Historically, I've never put a down payment when I ordered and everything worked out ok. Hoping for the same this time around again.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #17
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Quote:

TIA!
I am in the DC region as well and I just ordered my 340ix. I got the 792M rims but had to get the summer run flat tires so that I could get the staggered rims and speed limiter increased. Sucks I had to order it this way but it is what it is. I usually don't like any cars factory tires so I plan on running the summer tires until November and replace them with good all seasons like Conti Extreme Contact in a staggered setup. I have them on my IS350 now and love them. I will just have to carry a can of fix a flat with me.
Did you get the summer run flats vs. the summer go flats to avoid the spare tire trunk space reduction?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #18
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo2335 View Post
In the same boat cosmo. Ordered my car and never put a down payment. I have screen shots and emails of pricing so hopefully nothing changes when I pick up the car. Historically, I've never put a down payment when I ordered and everything worked out ok. Hoping for the same this time around again.
Which means dealer can sell the car anytime or I can choose not to buy? I'm having a dilemma of body color choice wish I had ordered Dravit Gray instead of Mineral Gray.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #19
evo2335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think if you have a vehicle inquiry report (VIR) with your name and build, then get a VIN assigned, you should be ok (whether you put a down payment or not). Unless talks break down for one reason or another, there shouldn't be a reason the dealership sells your car to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #20
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think if you have a vehicle inquiry report (VIR) with your name and build, then get a VIN assigned, you should be ok (whether you put a down payment or not). Unless talks break down for one reason or another, there shouldn't be a reason the dealership sells your car to someone else.
I actually want to order a different color car not sure it will be a good idea to bail out on my current order.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #21
evo2335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
Quote:
I actually want to order a different color car not sure it will be a good idea to bail out on my current order.
If it hasn't gone into production, it shouldn't be a problem. I made a series of changes after my initial order prior to production and it was all good.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #22
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If it hasn't gone into production, it shouldn't be a problem. I made a series of changes after my initial order prior to production and it was all good.
The car is in production. It shows production has started even VIN has already assigned. Looks like I have to keep Mineral Grey.
Appreciate 0