Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Mid 1970's Vehicles had no performance!

06-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
My 200hp 289 2bbl 1966 Mustang is about as fast as a Prius.
But it kills the planet faster
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #24
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
That's back when cars only needed fuel, sparks and air. It didn't matter how well they were metered in as long as it goes in the cylinders. It didn't matter what came out of the exhaust pipes either. You can see the floor while looking in the engine bay. 15 inch tires were the standard. Even fuel injectors were mechanical.

I left my 1972 Beetle sat in the driveway for 10 years. Put fresh gas in it, clean the plugs and carburetor, change the battery and it fired right up. Try doing that to a 1990+ car after sitting for 10 years. See what leaks, which electronics module malfunctioned, which coil packs failed.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
That's back when cars only needed fuel, sparks and air. It didn't matter how well they were metered in as long as it goes in the cylinders. It didn't matter what came out of the exhaust pipes either. You can see the floor while looking in the engine bay. 15 inch tires were the standard. Even fuel injectors were mechanical.

I left my 1972 Beetle sat in the driveway for 10 years. Put fresh gas in it, clean the plugs and carburetor, change the battery and it fired right up. Try doing that to a 1990+ car after sitting for 10 years. See what leaks, which electronics module malfunctioned, which coil packs failed.
The '72 beetle had a lawn mower engine in it, of course that's all it needed

"Scan tools" back in the day were a dwell/tach, timing light, vacuum gauge, and compression gauge
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
GenXer1349.00
      07-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #26
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
You do realize that back in the day those were big numbers right? You're comparing a modern day vehicle with all the computers and technology to an old school vehicle with absolutely nothing.

Crazy to see how far things have advanced.
This was my point but I guess most that responded missed it. I was just amazed how far cars have come technology wise. Car are so much more efficient. The mid 70's and 80's sucked for performance. I'm not a fan of huge motors that don't perform.