Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Questions about Adaptive M Suspension

03-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i Dravit Grey

Questions about Adaptive M Suspension

Hi All,

Probably an answer for this but the more I read the more confused I get...

My 2020 M340i was optioned with 2VF ( Adaptive M Suspension) how exactly does this work? Does the suspension loosen up in comfort and eco and tighten up in sport and sport +? Does it do this automatically when switching between the modes or do I have to select something/push the button on the center console? I see others talking about it like it is a actual driving mode but all I see is comfort, eco, sport, sport +..?

Also what does the "Adaptive" button do on the center console? When I push it I feel like it just shows that its equipped on my BMW?

Anyway really confused and cant seem to find a straight answer. Thanks for the help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

It's connected to your drive modes, so yes you are right in your assumption (gets stiffer in sport - sport + and gets more relaxed in comfort and eco). There's no button you have to press to change it other than your drive mode. Now you can also select Individual drive mode where you can have your engine, steering, and transmission in sport but set your suspension to comfort - this is what I have it set to for daily driving). This way you get the best of both worlds. Adaptive button is essentially another drive mode...and it acts exactly how it sounds. It adapts to your drive conditions (if you are driving spirited it will be more aggressive on the throttle response and the steering and suspension will tighten up. If you are sitting in traffic, it will ease the throttle response, put everything into comfort basically and turn on your auto start/stop). I like to have control so I don't use adaptive but it seems like a lot of people do use it as their daily driving mode.
      03-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It's connected to your drive modes, so yes you are right in your assumption (gets stiffer in sport - sport + and gets more relaxed in comfort and eco). There's no button you have to press to change it other than your drive mode. Now you can also select Individual drive mode where you can have your engine, steering, and transmission in sport but set your suspension to comfort - this is what I have it set to for daily driving). This way you get the best of both worlds. Adaptive button is essentially another drive mode...and it acts exactly how it sounds. It adapts to your drive conditions (if you are driving spirited it will be more aggressive on the throttle response and the steering and suspension will tighten up. If you are sitting in traffic, it will ease the throttle response, put everything into comfort basically and turn on your auto start/stop). I like to have control so I don't use adaptive but it seems like a lot of people do use it as their daily driving mode.
Thanks for the reply and clarification! So essentially the drive modes are eco, comfort, sport, sport +, and adaptive and you can personalize with the individual setting. I have been doing my daily work driving in comfort and my more spirited driving in sport + mode which seem to fit my needs just fine. I just wasn't sure what the adaptive button on the center console does but sounds like its just another mode where the car adjusts to driving and road conditions automatically?

Last edited by Dravit_M340i; 03-25-2020 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETES_M340i View Post
Thanks for the reply and clarification! So essentially the drive modes are eco, comfort, sport, sport +, and adaptive and you can personalize with the individual setting. I have been doing my daily work driving in comfort and my more spirited driving in sport + mode which seem to fit my needs just fine. I just wasn't sure what the adaptive button on the center console does but sounds like its just another mode where the car adjusts to driving and road conditions automatically?
That's exactly right...it adapts to road/driving conditions.
      03-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly right...it adapts to road/driving conditions.
You rock! My questions have been answered. I did not know it was its own driving mode. Just went for a drive and with your help I now realize that it is indeed its own mode. Appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
This actually really helped me understand it as well. But now I'm curious, had I not opted for the "adaptive m suspension" would my suspension settings still change between comfort, sport etc.. or do you lose that ability when you don't have the adaptive suspension?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
This actually really helped me understand it as well. But now I'm curious, had I not opted for the "adaptive m suspension" would my suspension settings still change between comfort, sport etc.. or do you lose that ability when you don't have the adaptive suspension?

Thanks
As far as I understand NO. The car would only have the sport suspension which I heard falls somewhere between comfort and sport + but it would not change at all when you change driving modes. Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
As far as I understand NO. The car would only have the sport suspension which I heard falls somewhere between comfort and sport + but it would not change at all when you change driving modes. Can anyone confirm this?
Correct. M-sport suspension is simply a passive setup, so no change through the modes.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #9
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Completely fixed. Always the same amount of rebound and travel from the suspension regardless of what drive mode you're in.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #10
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying guys!
Appreciate 0