Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Boot / trunk storage net - my approach

05-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Boot / trunk storage net - my approach

I've stumbled across quite a few threads asking about boot (trunk) storage and cargo nets.

This write up is about 6 weeks overdue, but I wanted to share one of the first jobs that I carried out on the car, just in case it helps inspire others...

Like other folk here, I was a bit disappointed to find there was no storage net type solution in the car. Luckily, I had a 'spare' cargo net from my X3, but unlike the X3, there are no hooks / rails in the M340i designed to string a net. After experimenting with a few lame options with whatever anchor points I could find in the boot, I went for a hacky 'tie down' approach.

Basically, I took a round file and created 4 recessed anchor points in the boot tray and crimped down the hooks so that they held tight. The idea was to create the recesses deep enough to withstand both side ways and length ways tugging, but not too deep that it looked like my 8 year old got hold of a pair of scissors.

I initially though about drilling small holes, but figured sliding the hooks in would be a challenge (all theory, but a theory that I didn't want to test by drilling holes and then discovering I was right!). And even if I could, the holes would need to be placed a good distance inwards from the edge to maintain rigidity, which meant it wouldn't be 'flush' with the edges.

After deciding to file out recesses, the next idea was to simply hook in the net, but the hooks themselves sat too proud for the tray to lie flat. Plus, the net was a bit 'flimsy' and never filled me with confidence, so I crimped the hooks in place.

Anyhow, with that bottle of wine dispensed with, here is how it turned out...

Recesses and crimped hooks

Name:  Straight on.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  447.2 KB

Name:  Side on.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  270.1 KB

Tray in place

Name:  In place.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  556.7 KB

After 6 weeks (and 4 or 5 COVID-19 emergency runs to the supermarket), I can safely report that the net does a pretty decent job of keeping wine, rum, gin, brandy AND vodka bottles in place. Theory has it that it'll also hold down a pack of toilet paper, but I've yet to test that...

One side effect though is that it is now dead easy to lift up the boot tray. You know, just in case you've decided to use the spare space around the battery...

Name:  Tray out.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  565.5 KB

That's it really. Nothing too exciting, but hope it helps inspire others with creative solutions.

Cheers.
hamera441.50
      05-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Great write up!

Oddly, my G20 has basic hooks at all 4 points but they're not the clip-in kind like the F30 for example.

Are you saying your boot doesn't have any kind of hooks??
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:55 AM   #3
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Great write up!

Oddly, my G20 has basic hooks at all 4 points but they're not the clip-in kind like the F30 for example.

Are you saying your boot doesn't have any kind of hooks??
I have places for net hooks in the boot also. I have the extended storage option.

I’ll upload a photo later.

Edit: Photos

Two like this on inside of boot

Name:  E2314B70-39EF-4965-9257-68890AAAC248.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  442.7 KB

One of these either side in boot near rear passenger seats

Name:  6D45DB4E-21FB-4872-AD85-8079E8E341D4.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  620.9 KB

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R

Last edited by Tam the Bam; 05-02-2020 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: Added photos
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 05:18 AM   #4
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep, I have those too Tam.

I put them in the "lame options" category 'cos I wanted something mounted flat on the floor so that the net also holds down smaller items. Having the anchor points an inch or so off the floor just doesn't stop laptop bags rolling around.

I really liked the adjustable system on the X3, but I'm good with what I have now...

05-02-2020, 05:21 AM   #5
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
Yep, I have those too Tam.

I put them in the "lame options" category 'cos I wanted something mounted flat on the floor so that the net also holds down smaller items. Having the anchor points an inch or so off the floor just doesn't stop laptop bags rolling around.

I really liked the adjustable system on the X3, but I'm good with what I have now...

Ok understand..... yes with the standard fixings it is higher than your fixings...

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 05:24 AM   #6
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

And given the net is 'flat', I can put stuff on top of it without having to take the net out first.

Just need to get out and about to carry stuff now...