Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Max tune on lease

05-28-2020, 04:05 AM   #1
raptorEdko
DYI Master
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW G20, Ford Focus ST

Question Max tune on lease

Hi guys,

I started to look into more and more things to do on my 330i in order to make it louder and maybe a bit faster (I'm talking about acceleration and not top speed).

Exhaust, Intake, ecu, etc. Some of the mods can be installed without any warranty voiding, so that's what I'm looking for on a lease. For example, if I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust, I asked a friend of mine that works at BMW and he said that as long as I'm not deleting my OPF/GPF/DPF (gas/diesel particle filter) and replace everything back from that, I should be ok.

So my question is, with this 2.0L, without voiding warranty, from what you heard or did to your car, what do you think is a possible max spec (HP) you can get out of it?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

im running a flash tune on my car and its leased, that being said you best bet is to get a piggyback. I recommend the JB+ for easy install/uninstall

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
G20330IRolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i & BMW G30 540i

Garage List
Im also running a JB+ for a quick easy power gain and you can really feel the difference. As Mike from EPH said... a piggyback is the way to go for a lease and you can expect a 30hp and 30 tq increase but its mainly only felt from 1st to 3rd gear. Definitely worth it on a lease.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Mine is also leased and I’m running a JB4. And I absolutely love it. I had a JB+ but a JB4 on E20-30 runs circles around the JB+.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
raptorEdko
DYI Master
Romania
Rep

Ok, I totally get it about a flash tune. An equivalent of the JB4 on European market would be RaceChip, have it on my Focus ST and totally worth it. But even further than this, maybe a GPF/OPF-back exhaust or cotton air filters are worth a shot. I'm interested on what you guys did and what are your numbers. Maybe with a mix'n'match I can get the best for my lease. I just need ideas. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
G20330IRolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We understand but we only say JB+ because its the safest route to not voiding a lease warranty. Depending on your dealership they may or may not any more modifications slide like your "Exhaust, Intake, ecu, etc" comment... anything that touches that ecu will most likely void you. Theres this free mod everyones been doing with their 330i g20s and its to keep your exhaust valves open all the time to maximize the sound look it up on YouTube on how to leave them open its literals a 30 second job that maximizes exhaust sound on cold start with extra burbles. All it really is, is unplugging the valve opener/closer it won't trigger any CEL or void anything and when you want just plug It back in. As far as intake is concerned that's a green light for sure they don't care too much but make sure you keep your original version of whatever you replace in case they are stingy about it. Ive done a JB+,permanent open valves, and a cold air intake and the car easily gained 45ish hp and 40 tq. These are the mods I did to my lease 330i to be on the safe side but as far as downpipe is concerned I wish I could do that but i don't want to yet. Your only exhaust option is possible an m sport one from bmw themselves and have them install it at your bmw dealership because its their product and they don't mind because it'll be on file that they approved it. Some Dinan products can also be installed at BMW. One extra mod you might want to do your car is getting lightweight wheels and tires because those Run Flats that they come equipped with seriously slow down the car when aiming for performance. Run Flats are heavy as f*ck compared to other tires. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
raptorEdko
DYI Master
Romania
Rep

Yep, that helps. I'm more of a DYI person and I already targeted a couple of things.

First of all, I started with the looks, my car came with lots of chrome (car was already at the dealer so I didn't customize one from scratch). Apart from the black grille, which I hate, everywhere else I did a chrome delete and I wrapped the roof on black for a more sporty look. Also applied protective wrap on headlights for extra protection on roads while behind other cars.

Installed a CS-style carbon fiber spoiler (best thing ever).

I already went for some ultra-light wheels (9kg front and 9.5kg back on 19inch). I'll keep the tires for now until they wear out, then will go for Michelin PS4 RFT (I know run-flats are heavier than normal ones but still they are lighter than a full spare tire in the trunk).

I also changed the air filter with a K&N one (noticed some very small changes on sound and behavior but nothing more.

Further to do:
- Flash tune as you already suggested
- Ordered a carbon fiber front splitter and rear diffuser
- Axle-back exhaust with 2 smaller mufflers that offer a louder noise and for piping, I want to do some titanium pipes and welding, the sound from titanium is way better than other materials (my opinion anyhow)
- Intake resonator delete
- Maybe some Eibach springs, but for later when my wallet is not screaming.

Last, once every 2-3 months some performance fuel 4 times the price of normal one but totally worth it for how the car behaves with it.

And that is about it for now. I didn't think it was possible to get 400hp out of this 2.0L without voiding the warranty anyway bot maybe get close to that you know..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
G20330IRolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm glad you've got started on personalizing the car ! I too had my alpine white g20 wrapped in black in the chrome door trim and the chrome grille as well as the white roof. Looks much more aggressive. The mods you listed are further than I would've ever gone simply because I don't want to get out of hang and force the car into 400 hp otherwise I would but I think I'm good sitting at around 280ish hp with the 320 tq keep us updated brother!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoloF30N20 View Post
I'm glad you've got started on personalizing the car ! I too had my alpine white g20 wrapped in black in the chrome door trim and the chrome grille as well as the white roof. Looks much more aggressive. The mods you listed are further than I would've ever gone simply because I don't want to get out of hang and force the car into 400 hp otherwise I would but I think I'm good sitting at around 280ish hp with the 320 tq keep us updated brother!
Can you post a picture of your car? I’m a fan of black roofs on white cars and I wonder what it might look like on our cars.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 12:17 AM   #10
raptorEdko
DYI Master
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I totally understand what you're saying, but the fact that for example Mercedes got out 381HP out of the 2L engine on A45 AMG, that makes me think I can get close to that too, especially since BMW makes waay better engines.

I'll keep you posted with the upcoming changes. I contacted yesterday IPE for their exhaust system because it sounds amazing, and if it turns out it is too expensive, I will build one just the way they designed theirs.

Last edited by raptorEdko; 05-30-2020 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 12:21 AM   #11
G20330IRolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Alpine white bmw w/black roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Can you post a picture of your car? I’m a fan of black roofs on white cars and I wonder what it might look like on our cars.
Here's how mine is looking so far I love the wrap it cost me $380 to do the roof, mirror caps, grille, and door trim. All the chrome is gone and I couldn't be happier
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      05-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #12
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's how mine is looking so far I love the wrap it cost me $380 to do the roof, mirror caps, grille, and door trim. All the chrome is gone and I couldn't be happier
That looks really nice. Where I live at, they want $500-700 just to black out the roof! More for the grills and window trims. So I’m stuck with chrome for now. Might try a DIY paint job on the grill later when I get time. And buy a new one if that doesn’t go well.

I blacked out my reflectors using trim tape. If I could black out the rest of the chrome, that will complete the storm trooper look I’m aiming for.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
G20330IRolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
That looks really nice. Where I live at, they want $500-700 just to black out the roof! More for the grills and window trims. So I’m stuck with chrome for now. Might try a DIY paint job on the grill later when I get time. And buy a new one if that doesn’t go well.

I blacked out my reflectors using trim tape. If I could black out the rest of the chrome, that will complete the storm trooper look I’m aiming for.
Oh man that pricing is insane... they only want to charge you that much because you drive a bmw and they assume you have money to throw out. Just for the roof of my car it would've been $100 here in Southern California. I think it's best to do the grille yourself if possible and the chrome door trim ! Save yourself a few hundred bucks like that. Otherwise buy the black grille and try to wrap the roof yourself or without another person and a heat gun. There's a lot of DIY of them on YouTube it's not hard but it requires patience. Appreciate the compliments bro ! I love how it looks now and Im sure you will too when you get there.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      05-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #14
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh man that pricing is insane... they only want to charge you that much because you drive a bmw and they assume you have money to throw out. Just for the roof of my car it would've been $100 here in Southern California. I think it's best to do the grille yourself if possible and the chrome door trim ! Save yourself a few hundred bucks like that. Otherwise buy the black grille and try to wrap the roof yourself or without another person and a heat gun. There's a lot of DIY of them on YouTube it's not hard but it requires patience. Appreciate the compliments bro ! I love how it looks now and Im sure you will too when you get there.
Insane is an understatement. And yes. I think they see a BMW and assume you’ve got moolah to waste. If only that was true.....

And I wish I could do a DIY on the roof too but I’m not too sure. The degree of patience. Plus finding another person to help me do it. I’m hoping to find a shop a little further away that can do it for cheaper. I don’t mind spending up to $200 for the roof alone. But $500 and above is a no go.

And I think the black and white look suits the sport line really well unless it’s an all black look which is better. Looks like you’ve only got the reflectors left? I’d also love to tint my taillights.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
G20330IRolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Insane is an understatement. And yes. I think they see a BMW and assume you’ve got moolah to waste. If only that was true.....

And I wish I could do a DIY on the roof too but I’m not too sure. The degree of patience. Plus finding another person to help me do it. I’m hoping to find a shop a little further away that can do it for cheaper. I don’t mind spending up to $200 for the roof alone. But $500 and above is a no go.

And I think the black and white look suits the sport line really well unless it’s an all black look which is better. Looks like you’ve only got the reflectors left? I’d also love to tint my taillights.
Yup the reflectors and the rear lights will be tinted it's gonna cost me $80 ish to do all that! I loved the storm trooper analogy I'm gonna start calling my car that haha
I think driving further is worth it brother definitely look into it. I'd love to see how yours looks after
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      07-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
Ventura24G20
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 BMW G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20330IRolo View Post
We understand but we only say JB+ because its the safest route to not voiding a lease warranty. Depending on your dealership they may or may not any more modifications slide like your "Exhaust, Intake, ecu, etc" comment... anything that touches that ecu will most likely void you. Theres this free mod everyones been doing with their 330i g20s and its to keep your exhaust valves open all the time to maximize the sound look it up on YouTube on how to leave them open its literals a 30 second job that maximizes exhaust sound on cold start with extra burbles. All it really is, is unplugging the valve opener/closer it won't trigger any CEL or void anything and when you want just plug It back in. As far as intake is concerned that's a green light for sure they don't care too much but make sure you keep your original version of whatever you replace in case they are stingy about it. Ive done a JB+,permanent open valves, and a cold air intake and the car easily gained 45ish hp and 40 tq. These are the mods I did to my lease 330i to be on the safe side but as far as downpipe is concerned I wish I could do that but i don't want to yet. Your only exhaust option is possible an m sport one from bmw themselves and have them install it at your bmw dealership because its their product and they don't mind because it'll be on file that they approved it. Some Dinan products can also be installed at BMW. One extra mod you might want to do your car is getting lightweight wheels and tires because those Run Flats that they come equipped with seriously slow down the car when aiming for performance. Run Flats are heavy as f*ck compared to other tires. Hope this helps.
Hey which intake did you end up installing?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #17
G20330IRolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura24G20 View Post
BMS billet intake its cheap and comparable to the $500+ options.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #18
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

Quote:
Quote:
I emailed burger and they said that intake doesn't fit the G20 330i. they have one in development and should be out in a few months. you got youra to fit?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 05:15 AM   #19
G20330IRolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwrock View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I emailed burger and they said that intake doesn't fit the G20 330i. they have one in development and should be out in a few months. you got youra to fit?
Sorry, I completely dozed off and never saw this response but my apologies. I have the BMS for my g30 540i. The intake I have on the B48 G20 is a from armaspeed. It's the alternate version to the carbon fiber which I find extremely stupid to pay nearly double the price for just carbon. It ran me $380 compared to other $500+ options. It's called Armaspeed aluminum alloy CAI.
Appreciate 0