BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Washer Jets

02-02-2024, 06:20 AM   #1
Arthur55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

Washer Jets

Sorry to ask. But I've not had a car befors with washers jets directly at the end of the blade arms. I might have to adjust the direction as the coverage of fluid could be improved. Can this be done with a pin?

But I noticed that on the passenger side there is a hole for a single jet facing back across to the drivers side. But looking closely I can't see a jet. Before I make an idiot of myself at the dealers can I ask if one should be present? Hopefully the attached 2 photos should show the location.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:49 AM   #2
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Will have a look on mine over the weekend if no-one else answers in the meantime.

On a related note, I noticed on mine the other day that the pump for the front washers only runs / pushes the fluid out when the wiper blades are going up, not when they are going down, while the rear one jets constantly for as long as you hold the switch in the "wash" position. Can't remember if the front has always worked like that but it does it consistently now so I'm assuming it's normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 07:00 AM   #3
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
Can't remember if the front has always worked like that but it does it consistently now so I'm assuming it's normal?
As per the manual...
Attached Images

zlatko132.50
      02-02-2024, 07:23 AM   #4
alFR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
As per the manual...
lol that was the politest RTFM I've ever seen, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 07:30 AM   #5
Arthur55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

Quote:
Will have a look on mine over the weekend if no-one else answers in the meantime.

On a related note, I noticed on mine the other day that the pump for the front washers only runs / pushes the fluid out when the wiper blades are going up, not when they are going down, while the rear one jets constantly for as long as you hold the switch in the "wash" position. Can't remember if the front has always worked like that but it does it consistently now so I'm assuming it's normal?
If you could check yours I would be so grateful..........glad you asked about the fluid......just need to make sure mine is fine and aimed properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 07:41 AM   #6
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
lol that was the politest RTFM I've ever seen, thanks
Haha. Apologies. Intention was to just reveal my source.
alFR52.00
      02-02-2024, 03:05 PM   #7
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

OK So I must admit I had not spotted that in the Manual... Antifreeze additive? I have the proper BMW screen wash, I've not had to top up yet. I need additive as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 03:22 PM   #8
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Depends what sort of screen wash you use and if you need an additive, most of them contain antifreeze these days including the BMW one - https://shop.bmw.co.uk/5631/genuine-...antifreeze-5l/
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 03:49 AM   #9
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnlyssg View Post
Depends what sort of screen wash you use and if you need an additive, most of them contain antifreeze these days including the BMW one - https://shop.bmw.co.uk/5631/genuine-...antifreeze-5l/
Thanks! Yes, that's the screen wash I bought. Given that BMW would probably refuse any warranty claim with the screen wash system if their OEM screen wash was not used, I find it odd that they would even mention a screen wash additive.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 03:58 AM   #10
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

It's probably included to ensure they don't get sued by people just using tap water and wondering why the system freezes up
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:44 AM   #11
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnlyssg View Post
It's probably included to ensure they don't get sued by people just using tap water and wondering why the system freezes up
Good point!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:07 AM   #12
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
Thanks! Yes, that's the screen wash I bought. Given that BMW would probably refuse any warranty claim with the screen wash system if their OEM screen wash was not used, I find it odd that they would even mention a screen wash additive.
I have only ever used the genuine BMW screenwash in over forty years(!) and have never had the washer jets freeze up or get clogged.
I use a 2:1 water to screenwash for winter months and a 4:1 mix for summer, although recently with really mild winters here in the North East I've been leaving the mix at the 4:1 ratio.
I know others on here have said that the BMW stuff is expensive for the sake of it but in reality I don't tend to use that much so it doesn't bother me. What would bother me is having to have the whole system flushed out due to deposit blockages and again as others on here have confirmed something BMW would not cover under any warranty so why would you want to take the risk?

I can remember some time ago BMW used to advocate adding "Intensive screen wash" or some such named thing to add if found to be necessary I even seem to remember a separate reservoir for it on xenon headlight equipped cars going back to the days when there were little 'mini wiper blades' on the lenses, can anyone still remember them?
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 03:44 PM   #13
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
I have only ever used the genuine BMW screenwash in over forty years(!) and have never had the washer jets freeze up or get clogged.
I use a 2:1 water to screenwash for winter months and a 4:1 mix for summer, although recently with really mild winters here in the North East I've been leaving the mix at the 4:1 ratio.
I know others on here have said that the BMW stuff is expensive for the sake of it but in reality I don't tend to use that much so it doesn't bother me. What would bother me is having to have the whole system flushed out due to deposit blockages and again as others on here have confirmed something BMW would not cover under any warranty so why would you want to take the risk?

I can remember some time ago BMW used to advocate adding "Intensive screen wash" or some such named thing to add if found to be necessary I even seem to remember a separate reservoir for it on xenon headlight equipped cars going back to the days when there were little 'mini wiper blades' on the lenses, can anyone still remember them?
Thanks bmnut, I've been meaning to ask what ratio of screen wash to water folks use. Are you using de-ionized water?

Fun fact, My 325Ti Compact is a 52 plate from 2002, and it's mostly only used in the better weather now, but for the first 10 years it was used daily. I have never had to top up the screen wash reservoir in the 21 years I have owned the car LOL the reservoir must be pretty big.

I do rememer those little mini wiper blades for the lenses, LOL.

My Octavia had little water jets under the headlights, intergrated into the front bumper that would pop out and blast a jet of screen wash on the headlights every second time you used the windscreen washer.

It worked very well, and I never had an issue with them failing in the 8 years I had the car. But the main jets would freeze up quite often in the winter, but then when it's down to -5°c for days on end, it's hardly surprising.

I think I read somewhere that BMW use heated water jet nozzles on most of their current line up?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:31 AM   #14
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Had 6 beemers and never had a screen wash issue. I use 50% mix in winter and 20% in summer and works great. Regular use of washers on the crappy roads up here propably helps keep system clear!

There are lots of good screenwash products out there BUT the key thing for us is to make sure that you never use a screenwash that contains silicone. See post #44 in link thread linked below.

This is specifically stated by BMW as a possible cause of damage to the screen washing system. I wrote to Holts and they replied stating that none of their Holts or Prestone products contain silicone. Good news as I has been using them for years. There is a good thread on this that covers lots of options:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1916642
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:32 AM   #15
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Had 6 beemers and never had a screen wash issue. I use 50% mix in winter and 20% in summer and works great. Regular use of washers on the crappy roads up here propably helps keep system clear!

There are lots of good screenwash products out there BUT the key thing for us is to make sure that you never use a screenwash that contains silicone. See post 44 in link thread linked below.

This is specifically stated by BMW as a possible cause of damage to the screen washing system. I wrote to Holts and they replied stating that none of their Holts or Prestone products contain silicone. Good news as I has been using them for years. There is a good thread on this that covers lots of options:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1916642
Appreciate 2
bmnut815.00
      02-05-2024, 04:36 AM   #16
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks bmnut, I've been meaning to ask what ratio of screen wash to water folks use. Are you using de-ionized water?

Fun fact, My 325Ti Compact is a 52 plate from 2002, and it's mostly only used in the better weather now, but for the first 10 years it was used daily. I have never had to top up the screen wash reservoir in the 21 years I have owned the car LOL the reservoir must be pretty big.

I do rememer those little mini wiper blades for the lenses, LOL.

My Octavia had little water jets under the headlights, intergrated into the front bumper that would pop out and blast a jet of screen wash on the headlights every second time you used the windscreen washer.

It worked very well, and I never had an issue with them failing in the 8 years I had the car. But the main jets would freeze up quite often in the winter, but then when it's down to -5°c for days on end, it's hardly surprising.

I think I read somewhere that BMW use heated water jet nozzles on most of their current line up?
Never used de-ionised water ever Tok'Ra! Only ever use tap water and living on the coast and the furthest point from source our domestic water supply is quite heavily chlorinated (I have to de-scale my kettle every month!) but, touch wood, never had any issues.

BMW washer jets have been heated for years now, they were even available back in the 80's and the era of the E30 but often as an optional factory fitted extra on the lower models in the range...at the time the only ones I could afford!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 06:41 AM   #17
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Never used de-ionised water ever Tok'Ra! Only ever use tap water and living on the coast and the furthest point from source our domestic water supply is quite heavily chlorinated (I have to de-scale my kettle every month!) but, touch wood, never had any issues.

BMW washer jets have been heated for years now, they were even available back in the 80's and the era of the E30 but often as an optional factory fitted extra on the lower models in the range...at the time the only ones I could afford!
Good to know regarding the water, would have expected scaling to be an issue, but perhaps the screen wash has additives that prevent scale from forming.

I may have heated washer jet nozzles on my 325Ti, I have no idea, it was treated to a good number of items on the option list, so... maybe!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:51 AM   #18
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good to know regarding the water, would have expected scaling to be an issue, but perhaps the screen wash has additives that prevent scale from forming.

I may have heated washer jet nozzles on my 325Ti, I have no idea, it was treated to a good number of items on the option list, so... maybe!
Quite possibly as you can certainly smell the alcohol content in the screen wash which may well act as a solvent.

Would be very surprised if the washer jets on your 325Ti weren't heated as that was the same model year era as the E36's and the 325Ti was the top model in the range, my late mother-in-law had the 318Ti and I know that definitely had them, she may have had them as a factory fitted option mind you, I can't remember now?
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 05:56 AM   #19
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320i Touring MSport

My E39 had two ways of washing the screen, as normal by pulling the lever towards you, but also by means of a little button at the end of the stalk which you'd push inwards - that was the "intensive" wash option that bmnut mentions above. It did also have its own separate tank, which I believe should have taken its own purpose "brew" intensive screen wash.

Btw, on the heated washer jets, I find they don't really help that much as the fluid tends to freeze within the small tubes that lead to it, which are unheated. Had this a number of times in our E91 when skiing...
Appreciate 1
bmnut815.00
      02-06-2024, 06:54 AM   #20
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
My E39 had two ways of washing the screen, as normal by pulling the lever towards you, but also by means of a little button at the end of the stalk which you'd push inwards - that was the "intensive" wash option that bmnut mentions above. It did also have its own separate tank, which I believe should have taken its own purpose "brew" intensive screen wash.

Btw, on the heated washer jets, I find they don't really help that much as the fluid tends to freeze within the small tubes that lead to it, which are unheated. Had this a number of times in our E91 when skiing...
The intensive cleaner aspect you describe is exactly what I had on my E39 528i SE back in 1999, exactly what I was on about!
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2024, 12:05 PM   #21
alFR
Private First Class
Rep

Checked on mine: there does appear to be water coming out of the hole you showed in the pictures, Arthur.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 01:27 PM   #22
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quite possibly as you can certainly smell the alcohol content in the screen wash which may well act as a solvent.

Would be very surprised if the washer jets on your 325Ti weren't heated as that was the same model year era as the E36's and the 325Ti was the top model in the range, my late mother-in-law had the 318Ti and I know that definitely had them, she may have had them as a factory fitted option mind you, I can't remember now?

I'm being a bit pedantic perhaps, but my 325Ti Compact Sport is the later model, built on the E46 platform. Like this one.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...-spotted/39311

Mine has differnt wheels, an all Chrome grille, and the clear rear lenses on the rear lights.

It probably does have heated water jets then.
Appreciate 0