Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

12-09-2019, 04:20 AM   #45
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugga View Post
I have had a talk with my dealer and my tire guy, the dealer acknowledged the noise and is willing to take the car in for troubleshooting. Their first action would be to try a different set of tires.

My tire guy who sold me my studded Continentals said that is not uncommon for tires to need a break in period before they quiet down. He recommended me to run them for 3000-4000km before any other troubleshooting.

Hopefully the run in will be enough, I will try that first and report back in a couple of weeks if the noise hasnīt gone away.
Did you try to open the hood with the engine running?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:33 AM   #46
jugga
Rep
Drives: 2020 330d xdrive m-sport

No i did not. My noise seem to change with road speed not engine speed. I excluded engine related noises.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #47
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugga View Post
I have had a talk with my dealer and my tire guy, the dealer acknowledged the noise and is willing to take the car in for troubleshooting. Their first action would be to try a different set of tires.

My tire guy who sold me my studded Continentals said that is not uncommon for tires to need a break in period before they quiet down. He recommended me to run them for 3000-4000km before any other troubleshooting.

Hopefully the run in will be enough, I will try that first and report back in a couple of weeks if the noise hasn´t gone away.
I also have studded now, and of course there are more noise from them than the summer tires, but the ground noise i the same. The sound from tires have a higher pitch, so in my case the tires are not the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:20 AM   #48
XXXX
Private
Rep

Tried different tires today and dealer have now eliminated that the tires are the source of the noise.
They don't know how to proceed, so they are waiting for instructions from BMW. I hope that everybody report this to BMW so they have some pressure to do something about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:25 AM   #49
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Tried different tires today and dealer have now eliminated that the tires are the source of the noise.
They don't know how to proceed, so they are waiting for instructions from BMW. I hope that everybody report this to BMW so they have some pressure to do something about it.
Is it a certified BMW dealership? If so, they should take the car in a start trouble shooting. Just saying "don't know how to proceed" simply isn't good enough for a premium brand.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:54 AM   #50
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausmoll View Post
Quote:
Is it a certified BMW dealership? If so, they should take the car in a start trouble shooting. Just saying "don't know how to proceed" simply isn't good enough for a premium brand.
I fully agree! It's a certified dealer, and I also think it's strange. They had it for a couple of days one week ago, and they exchange one bearing. Then they thougt it was the tires, but not today. So very strange that they can't find it but they have really tried.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:04 AM   #51
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I fully agree! It's a certified dealer, and I also think it's strange. They had it for a couple of days one week ago and change one bearing and then they thougt it was the tires but not today. So very strange that they can't find it but they have really tried.
Sounds strange. I have an appointment January 2nd with the dealership where they take the car into their workshop and start trouble shooting. We have agreed that they keep the car until they locate the noise. They provide a loaner in that periode.

Maybe you should convince them to do the same. Where is your dealership?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:36 AM   #52
Glaede
Private
Rep

Actually, I just delivered my car to my dealer this morning and I was told that I wouldn't get my car back until it's fixed.
So, I've got a G20 320d loaner now - without the annoying noise btw :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:39 AM   #53
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
Actually, I just delivered my car to my dealer this morning and I was told that I wouldn't get my car back until it's fixed.
So, I've got a G20 320d loaner now - without the annoying noise btw :-)
Sounds really great. Very interested in the result. Let's hope for the best
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:40 AM   #54
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sounds really great. Very interested in the result. Let's hope for the best
Yeah, me too!! Hopefully an easyfix, however, I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #55
XXXX
Private
Rep

I also leaved my car at the dealer this morning but they still not have localized where the sound come from. They keep on trying until they find it, and I will not take it back before this is solved.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #56
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I also leaved my car at the dealer this morning but they still not have localized where the sound come from. They keep on trying until they find it, and I will not take it back before this is solved.
Good to hear!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #57
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good to hear!
Three days of troubleshooting and no progess at all! I'm really tired of this now.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #58
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good to hear!
Three days of troubleshooting and no progess at all! I'm really tired of this now.
Slightly worrying...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #59
XXXX
Private
Rep

G21 gate?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #60
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
G21 gate?
G21 Touring. Just out of curiousity, were are you from?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #61
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
G21 gate?
G21 Touring. Just out of curiousity, were are you from?
G21-Gate as in problem releated to the model itself. I am worried that many G21 can have this problem, but maybe it's so few out there yet and many on winter tires, so people not have made complains yet. I'm from Sweden.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 12:24 AM   #62
Glaede
Private
Rep

I'm afraid you are right XXXX :-(
Mine has been at the dealership since Wednesday. I heard from them Thursday evening, that they thought it was a new wheel bearing design or something like that and it caused noise through the suspension or something like that?! Haven't heard anything since that, so I guess it wasn't the case.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:12 AM   #63
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm afraid you are right XXXX :-(
Mine has been at the dealership since Wednesday. I heard from them Thursday evening, that they thought it was a new wheel bearing design or something like that and it caused noise through the suspension or something like that?! Haven't heard anything since that, so I guess it wasn't the case.
Hmmm - it could be something like that, as the noise tend to get a little better on new, smooth asphalt. But whatever the reason - just fix it, BMW.

However, it doesn't explain why the 320d I tried didn't suffer from this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 04:20 AM   #64
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm - it could be something like that, as the noise tend to get a little better on new, smooth asphalt. But whatever the reason - just fix it, BMW.

Nope, and also the 320d sedan I'm driving as a loaner is quite too. It's a sedan though and not an M-Sport. I cannot imagine BMW would create bearing/suspension parts specific for the Touring model. I took a look at the bearing part numbers and there is no indication that they are Touring/model/engine/year specific. The suspension is, obviously, different for the M-Sport models, but then the M-Sport sedan should have the same issue
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 04:54 AM   #65
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Nope, and also the 320d sedan I'm driving as a loaner is quite too. It's a sedan though and not an M-Sport. I cannot imagine BMW would create bearing/suspension parts specific for the Touring model. I took a look at the bearing part numbers and there is no indication that they are Touring/model/engine/year specific. The suspension is, obviously, different for the M-Sport models, but then the M-Sport sedan should have the same issue
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:36 AM   #66
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have driven at least 2 m-sport sedan and both were quiet.
Appreciate 0