Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

06-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #45
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Those Long Range Model 3's are a pretty good value in my opinion.
And, they get you a Whopper!

https://electrek.co/2020/06/25/tesla...s-ad-campaign/
That was very painful to watch, good thing I don't care for Burger King
      06-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #46
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
That was very painful to watch, good thing I don't care for Burger King
Possibly engineered by the same guy who (mis)managed sheet metal design and assembly and the paint booth!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #47
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
I wouldn't get your hopes up on that. Current target range is at 270 for the i4 and EPA could make that lower for all we know, and I would expect prices to be very high, likely around well equipped M340i prices (~$65k). Those Long Range Model 3's are a pretty good value in my opinion.
I still cannot reconcile the range disparity between what BMW publishes (373 miles) and the SWAG's of 270 miles from the car magazines.

I understand the EPA vs. WLPT range differences (more highway vs. more urban/residential driving), however, when comparing cars already in existence (Model 3 as an example) the differences in ranges (when actually tested using both EPA and WLPT standards) do not come close to losing 103 miles of range. Actual difference is more in line with 50-60 miles of range difference.

I will reserve judgement on i4 actual range until it is released and tested (like the Model 3, i3, i8 and others).

If BMW is hoping to steal some of Tesla's thunder, the starting price for the i4 should be competitive with the Model 3 long range version ($50K). Okay, so it's a BMW, and they tack on another $4-$5K because of the propeller badge, I'm still in. Starting at $65K, they can keep it.

I also think we will see Tesla start using new battery tech in the newer Model 3s (which they will be exclusively producing in-house), bumping ranges up to 400 miles or more.

Whether you like Tesla or not, they were smart having invested in vertical integration of most all of their car's components. They won't have to share their battery tech with other car makers. Every "Tesla killer" introduced so far hasn't achieved that goal. Most cost thousand$ more and don't have the range. Every comparison I've read in car mags seems to agree, picking the Tesla over the competition.

The i4 is the first EV I've seen from another manufacturer that appears to be priced @ and have the range to actually give Tesla a challenge.

We do live in interesting times for sure.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
JustChris17423.00
      06-29-2020, 04:33 AM   #48
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
The i4 is the first EV I've seen from another manufacturer that appears to be priced @ and have the range to actually give Tesla a challenge.
What about the Polestar 2, which is actually shipping right now and not in 1,5 years?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      06-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #49
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
What about the Polestar 2, which is actually shipping right now and not in 1,5 years?
Not in need of a new car now anyway. I have an 2017 Dinan tuned M240i which I ordered to my specifications w/ 7000 miles (looks and drives like new) and a 2019 Mini Cooper S w/ the JCW tune w/ 2100 miles. So if the i4 comes out in 2022, it's not a big deal. The only dilemma I'll have is which car do I want to trade for it. Additionally, by 2022, who knows what Tesla may have......................Perhaps a Model 2 w/ 300+ mile range for 1/2 the price of the Polestar (then it's goodbye Mini).

Pricing:
Configuring the Polestar car with a "Moon" exterior and white interior - no extras puts it at $65K+ listed range is 270 miles. delivery date Sept 2020.

Not really crazy about the appearance of the Polestar either. The lines of the car remind me of a Nissan Sentra.

I think The Model 3 (available now) looks sportier with more flowing lines as does the i4. The Model 3 Tesla in a custom color w/ white interior comes in less that $50K and the i4 is projected to be in that ball park. Range on the Tesla is rated at 322 miles and I'm guessing the i4 should be close to when finally tested using the EPA standard vs. the 373 miles that the WLPT claims (compared to unverified claims of a 103 mile range loss between the two measuring standards).

My requirement for range has to be over 300 miles. Tesla ranges keep increasing and with newer battery tech being developed in-house. 400 miles is a real possibility in the new Model 3's.

No sense in arguing range for the i4 until it actually comes out and can be tested using the EPA standard. If it falls way short of of the Tesla Model 3 (current models 322 mile range), then I will not consider it either.

I am attracted to the i4 because of it's interior design and the integration of more manual controls for common use items rather than everything accessed through the center screen on the Tesla. If pricing stays as projected and the range is close to 320 miles or more I will likely buy the i4. Too soon to tell right now as technology is constantly moving forward.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #50
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not in need of a new car now anyway. I have an 2017 Dinan tuned M240i which I ordered to my specifications w/ 7000 miles (looks and drives like new) and a 2019 Mini Cooper S w/ the JCW tune w/ 2100 miles. So if the i4 comes out in 2022, it's not a big deal. The only dilemma I'll have is which car do I want to trade for it. Additionally, by 2022, who knows what Tesla may have......................Perhaps a Model 2 w/ 300+ mile range for 1/2 the price of the Polestar (then it's goodbye Mini).

Pricing:
Configuring the Polestar car with a "Moon" exterior and white interior - no extras puts it at $65K+ listed range is 270 miles. delivery date Sept 2020.

Not really crazy about the appearance of the Polestar either. The lines of the car remind me of a Nissan Sentra.

I think The Model 3 (available now) looks sportier with more flowing lines as does the i4. The Model 3 Tesla in a custom color w/ white interior comes in less that $50K and the i4 is projected to be in that ball park. Range on the Tesla is rated at 322 miles and I'm guessing the i4 should be close to when finally tested using the EPA standard vs. the 373 miles that the WLPT claims (compared to unverified claims of a 103 mile range loss between the two measuring standards).

My requirement for range has to be over 300 miles. Tesla ranges keep increasing and with newer battery tech being developed in-house. 400 miles is a real possibility in the new Model 3's.

No sense in arguing range for the i4 until it actually comes out and can be tested using the EPA standard. If it falls way short of of the Tesla Model 3 (current models 322 mile range), then I will not consider it either.

I am attracted to the i4 because of it's interior design and the integration of more manual controls for common use items rather than everything accessed through the center screen on the Tesla. If pricing stays as projected and the range is close to 320 miles or more I will likely buy the i4. Too soon to tell right now as technology is constantly moving forward.
The Polestar 2 is currently in "launch model" mode with a high cost content level. The normally configured models supposedly starting in the $40s will follow.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #51
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The Polestar 2 is currently in "launch model" mode with a high cost content level. The normally configured models supposedly starting in the $40s will follow.
Then my only qualm would be range and its curb appeal to me.

Appearance is subjective for sure and I can even agree to going with a car whose appearance isn't as pleasing to me than anothers if it significantly trumps the other cars range and offers the same or more features.

If the Polestar 2's later release offers 350+ miles in range and similar features @ the same price point to the Tesla or i4 (projected to sell for $50K), I would certainly consider it

Kona EV for me is as good an option as the Polestar 2 is. 258 miles range for $37K. Even the top of the line Kona is $45K and is really loaded. I am not crazy about the Kona's appearance as it looks like every other small SUV on the road, but again, "bang for the buck".....Hyundai

I, however need and want 300+ miles of range. So the Polestar or Kona doesn't work for me, but if I only need 250 miles or range, the Kona would likely be my choice. The Kona "Ultimate" has about every option anyone could want in their car. Reviews of the Kona EV have been very good.

Tesla would appear to be the leader in EV cars and tech. Others (like Porsche) tried but seem to come up short when compared (while demanding approx a $40K+ up-charge for their badge). Tesla continues to increase the gap when compared to its competitors.

I really hope BMW (with their i4) offers something that compares favorably (price, performance and range) to the Tesla Model 3 long range. To date no one has,...............

Worth a watch:

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #52
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Then my only qualm would be range and its curb appeal to me.

Appearance is subjective for sure and I can even agree to going with a car whose appearance isn't as pleasing to me than anothers if it significantly trumps the other cars range and offers the same or more features.

If the Polestar 2's later release offers 350+ miles in range and similar features @ the same price point to the Tesla or i4 (projected to sell for $50K), I would certainly consider it

Kona EV for me is as good an option as the Polestar 2 is. 258 miles range for $37K. Even the top of the line Kona is $45K and is really loaded. I am not crazy about the Kona's appearance as it looks like every other small SUV on the road, but again, "bang for the buck".....Hyundai

I, however need and want 300+ miles of range. So the Polestar or Kona doesn't work for me, but if I only need 250 miles or range, the Kona would likely be my choice. The Kona "Ultimate" has about every option anyone could want in their car. Reviews of the Kona EV have been very good.

Tesla would appear to be the leader in EV cars and tech. Others (like Porsche) tried but seem to come up short when compared (while demanding approx a $40K+ up-charge for their badge). Tesla continues to increase the gap when compared to its competitors.

I really hope BMW (with their i4) offers something that compares favorably (price, performance and range) to the Tesla Model 3 long range. To date no one has,...............

Worth a watch:
Some of the developing entries are certainly worth a look. The only non-starter for me is anything from Tesla for their first generation of products, from S to 3 to X to Y. The recent initial quality report mirrors what I've read on their forums...not good. They are still laboring under being a beginner car company with immature assembly processes resulting in a variety of quality problems at a worst-in-industry rate. These are not esoteric problems such as BMW may have with items such as HPFPs, but the basics such as getting a body assembled and painted..."kindergarten" stuff for an OEM. Perhaps by the second generation (whenever that is) for Model 3, they may have learned enough to do better, but right now, I'd take the upcoming Ford Mach E before a Model 3...but still hoping for i4 with reasonable/reachable pricing.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #53
viewcart
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & 2018

Most of those "accelerations like a sports car" is what an old Volvo wagon can do, Pretty much only the fist one looks faster than the Nissan Leaf. Somehow I doubt driver would casually run pedal to the metal in a situations like there.
Appreciate 0