Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) About Ceramic Coating - yay or nay?

11-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #45
KrisJ
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
My G20 was done with Gyeon synchro 3 layers. When the detailer opened the garage I saw my car brand brand brand new. Actually much more shiny then when I picked it up from the dealer. Costed me 1300€, but would do it again with no doubt! Bugs and dirt do not stick to the paint and it is so easy to keep the car clean.
Any chance you are Belgium based?

Auto caraways messed up the hood of my car so I am looking to have it polished and coated but a bit afraid of going to a shop that might end up messing the car up even more...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #46
advrider6510
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3, Ford Mustang

Advantage: Ceramic coating offers good protection to the car's surface. The nano-coating can protect the car from most scratches, dirt and chemical contaminants. Ceramic coating also doesn't have any side-effects to the original paint. Ceramic coating also lasts longer than regular paint.

Disadvantage: On the very low end as far as professional ceramic prices you can expect to pay at least $500 for just the application. Ceramic coating application takes time. If you plan to do ceramic coating on your car, be ready to leave it at the detailing shop for at least three days. Also, if not done correctly or professionally, ceramic coating might look worse than the original paint finish of your car.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #47
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Yes there are other threads. I think ceramic coating is great. First are you good at detailing? If you are there are many good ones out there. There are ones that last from a few months to about 2 years. How much do you want to spend? How much maintenance do want to do? Me personally I do it my self I used CQuartz 3.0 UK followed by Gliss. Both are CarPro products. First you must have a perfectly clean car and free of scratches or swirls. Polish then clay bar. Followed by a thorough 2 bucket wash. It's an all day thing. Getting this done by someone can cost $500 to $1000's depending on paint correction. Once done cleaning is much easier and so is maintaining the shine. Sorry if this is more info than you wanted
Just purchased the same (CQuartz UK) and about to coat both my G05 and G20 - any experience on whether the gloss black trim prices handle the coating well or should I avoid?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #48
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCardamon View Post
Quote:
Yes there are other threads. I think ceramic coating is great. First are you good at detailing? If you are there are many good ones out there. There are ones that last from a few months to about 2 years. How much do you want to spend? How much maintenance do want to do? Me personally I do it my self I used CQuartz 3.0 UK followed by Gliss. Both are CarPro products. First you must have a perfectly clean car and free of scratches or swirls. Polish then clay bar. Followed by a thorough 2 bucket wash. It's an all day thing. Getting this done by someone can cost $500 to $1000's depending on paint correction. Once done cleaning is much easier and so is maintaining the shine. Sorry if this is more info than you wanted
Just purchased the same (CQuartz UK) and about to coat both my G05 and G20 - any experience on whether the gloss black trim prices handle the coating well or should I avoid?
For me it works great. It's all in the person applying it. I self taught my self by watching many videos on YouTube and some trial and error. The videos are very helpful. The many detailers give lots of good tips. I have seen many black cars in person and on here that look spectacular with ceramic coating. As far as CK specifically to black , I have not heard of nor seen any issues. But I would encourage you to your own research so you can feel comfortable. Specifically to plastic trim; Automotive ceramic coatings provide a protective layer and can be applied to nearly any surface, ranging from bare metal to car headlights (made of polycarbonate plastic mainly), vinyl wraps, alloy, and chrome wheels, and yes, even plastic trim. I however use CarPro Pearl in the proper dilution for trim. It's a ceramic coating designed for trim and dashboard. I did use 3.0 on my lights. Hope this helps or maybe gives you more questions. Let me know how it turns out
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #49
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
For me it works great. It's all in the person applying it. I self taught my self by watching many videos on YouTube and some trial and error. The videos are very helpful. The many detailers give lots of good tips. I have seen many black cars in person and on here that look spectacular with ceramic coating. As far as CK specifically to black , I have not heard of nor seen any issues. But I would encourage you to your own research so you can feel comfortable. Specifically to plastic trim; Automotive ceramic coatings provide a protective layer and can be applied to nearly any surface, ranging from bare metal to car headlights (made of polycarbonate plastic mainly), vinyl wraps, alloy, and chrome wheels, and yes, even plastic trim. I however use CarPro Pearl in the proper dilution for trim. It's a ceramic coating designed for trim and dashboard. I did use 3.0 on my lights. Hope this helps or maybe gives you more questions. Let me know how it turns out
Thanks, good advice - hoping someone whom has applied this knows 1st hand if BMW sport gloss plastic trim worked properly
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      05-19-2020, 04:53 AM   #50
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Thanks, good advice - hoping someone whom has applied this knows 1st hand if BMW sport gloss plastic trim worked properly
I have the car fully coated with gloss black trim (sills, grill, diffuser etc). Coating works just as if it were on paint and no side effects in the last 5 months.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:46 AM   #51
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
I have the car fully coated with gloss black trim (sills, grill, diffuser etc). Coating works just as if it were on paint and no side effects in the last 5 months.
Same thing here. Coating performance is the same on the paint as on the trim. I got my complete car (wheels included) coated in September 2019.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #52
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that the ceramic coating causes rain to bead up so well (a good wax will do the same). The issue with that is water spots and residual dirt spots if they are left to dry, vs the sheeting you get from a non coated car. It's normally not an issue especially if you drive off before it dries since the beads just...well bead off. But since the car has been sitting for the most part of two months, I've noticed it more often.
      05-20-2020, 03:21 AM   #53
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that the ceramic coating causes rain to bead up so well (a good wax will do the same). The issue with that is water spots and residual dirt spots if they are left to dry, vs the sheeting you get from a non coated car. It's normally not an issue especially if you drive off before it dries since the beads just...well bead off. But since the car has been sitting for the most part of two months, I've noticed it more often.
Great point!

While driving the car it pretty much cleans itself but the water beading vz sheeting is noticeable if you are parked.

I was giving this a lot of thought and Im going to try something. AMMO released the new coating with sheeting effect in mind. Im going to get it and apply it to the car. Should be pretty good.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0