Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340i MPE (M Performance Exhaust) installed + sound clips

06-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #243
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Got the M Performance Exhaust installed today and wow there is no doubting that this is different from the stock M340i exhaust. Everyone says that videos don't do it justice and that's very true. Cold starts (even warm starts) are really loud! It settles down after a minute or two. Even starting in comfort is super loud...but a good loud (maybe not to my neighbors but meh). Driving in comfort you can still tell that there's something different from the stock exhaust but it's not as noticeable. Sport is much louder and definitely more pops and bangs compared to stock. At this point you absolutely know you a driving a car with an upgraded exhaust. Now put it in Sport Plus and geez! The grunts on fast up shifts, the amount of pops, bangs, and the odd really loud shotgun sounding gunshot is pretty crazy. The down shifts are filled with deep burbles and pops as well. Even as you are creeping along to a stop at a light it burbles and pops all the way until you stop regardless of how smooth and slow you pull up to a light (can be a little embarrassing if you aren't used to aftermarket exhausts).

I freaking love it! I will say however, a lot of people say this is how the M340i should have come from the factory...I gotta disagree on that. It's very aggressive and would most likely turn off half the buyers of this car (ones that aren't on here lol). But for many of enthusiasts, it's a brilliant upgrade. 10 out of 10.
Oh and I tried to take a video with my iPhone and the quality just doesn't come across as described.
      06-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #244
mhkorean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Got the M Performance Exhaust installed today and wow there is no doubting that this is different from the stock M340i exhaust. Everyone says that videos don't do it justice and that's very true. Cold starts (even warm starts) are really loud! It settles down after a minute or two. Even starting in comfort is super loud...but a good loud (maybe not to my neighbors but meh). Driving in comfort you can still tell that there's something different from the stock exhaust but it's not as noticeable. Sport is much louder and definitely more pops and bangs compared to stock. At this point you absolutely know you a driving a car with an upgraded exhaust. Now put it in Sport Plus and geez! The grunts on fast up shifts, the amount of pops, bangs, and the odd really loud shotgun sounding gunshot is pretty crazy. The down shifts are filled with deep burbles and pops as well. Even as you are creeping along to a stop at a light it burbles and pops all the way until you stop regardless of how smooth and slow you pull up to a light (can be a little embarrassing if you aren't used to aftermarket exhausts).

I freaking love it! I will say however, a lot of people say this is how the M340i should have come from the factory...I gotta disagree on that. It's very aggressive and would most likely turn off half the buyers of this car (ones that aren't on here lol). But for many of enthusiasts, it's a brilliant upgrade. 10 out of 10.

Great write up! glad you are thoroughly enjoying it!
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5219.00
      06-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #245
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkorean View Post
Great write up! glad you are thoroughly enjoying it!
Thanks! I'm going to go through a crap ton of fuel the way I'm driving now just to hear the glory of the exhaust hahaha
JDUNITNOW3498.00
      06-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #246
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Glad to hear you're loving the purchase!

I have switched my mind between MPE, Dinan, and (hopefully sometime this year) AWE.

Just wish the MPE got rid of those fake exhaust tips for quads. I'm ready to pull the trigger on an exhaust and the BMS intake but something keeps telling me to wait for the AWE... IMO the exhaust upgrade is always my highest priority!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #247
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
Glad to hear you're loving the purchase!

I have switched my mind between MPE, Dinan, and (hopefully sometime this year) AWE.

Just wish the MPE got rid of those fake exhaust tips for quads. I'm ready to pull the trigger on an exhaust and the BMS intake but something keeps telling me to wait for the AWE... IMO the exhaust upgrade is always my highest priority!
I was trying to hold out for the AWE as well, but couldn't wait any longer. The Dinan tips are too big for my liking but it sounds amazing from the videos. Pricing aside, I looked at the MPE as an OEM+ type upgrade. If something comes out down the road with nice tips, I'll sell this and upgrade.
Gdiddy23906.50
      06-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #248
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:

Quote:

I will not be one of the people that will not like this. I will order this along with other m performance options. After reading your review, its enough to check the box for exhaust.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #249
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
I will not be one of the people that will not like this. I will order this along with other m performance options. After reading your review, its enough to check the box for exhaust.
It's definitely a nice improvement that I'm sure you will be happy with. Now there are some that are at the other end of the extreme that want to straight pipe everything...the MPE may actually be too tame for them.
JDUNITNOW3498.00
      06-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #250
KSag
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix, 2020 X5 X40i

OK, Somebody help talk me into getting the performance exhaust. I am so on the fence right now. I am struggling with getting the M Performance, Dinan or just keeping it stock. I wish I could hear these in person. I used to have a M5 so the M340i stock exhaust was such a disappointment for me. I just don't want an obnoxious exhaust...especially when I hear shotgun sound. I want a refined deep grumble.
Appreciate 1
siegester344.50
      06-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #251
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSag View Post
OK, Somebody help talk me into getting the performance exhaust. I am so on the fence right now. I am struggling with getting the M Performance, Dinan or just keeping it stock. I wish I could hear these in person. I used to have a M5 so the M340i stock exhaust was such a disappointment for me. I just don't want an obnoxious exhaust...especially when I hear shotgun sound. I want a refined deep grumble.
It's definitely not a consistent low grumble. It really just amplifies the stock exhaust (I.e. louder, more pops and bangs, etc.). So if you like the stock exhaust sound but wish it was louder, this is the exhaust for you. If you are looking for something that's going to drastically change the sound of the car, the MPE is not it.
KSag30.00
      06-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #252
Mega8489
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2023 G80 M3 6spd

Just decided to threat my self for my birthday this year and I decided to ordered one can’t wait !!
Next week Is the appointment to my dealership to have it installed .
Posting results soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #253
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega8489 View Post
Just decided to threat my self for my birthday this year and I decided to ordered one can’t wait !!
Posting results soon.
Congrats you are going to love it...put it right into Sport Plus and your face will be like...
Attached Images

06-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #254
Mega8489
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2023 G80 M3 6spd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega8489 View Post
Posting results soon.
Congrats you are going to love it...put it right into Sport Plus and your face will be like...
Ahahah yeah that's what I'm waiting honestly
And I'm always on sport plus anyway so can't wait for that crazy sound again .
I had one installed on my 2015 335 and that was a huge improvement form the stick one hopefully that did even a better job on this one .
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5219.00
      06-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #255
SunsetSleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340Xi

I just did a muffler delete on one of these M340 it sounds insane!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:26 PM   #256
SunsetSleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
Has anyone here who had the F30 MPPSK now have the m340 M-Performance exhaust? How do the sound levels compare? I've listened to Jason's videos and still not sure. I turned in my 340i w/ MPPSK yesterday but not picking up my M340i until April so I have time.
I did a muffler delete it sounds amazing and when you step on it or downshift it pops and crackles loud like a super car.

I’m 35 and even for me it’s still tame but super exotic sounding.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #257
ali_g20
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetSleeper View Post
I did a muffler delete it sounds amazing and when you step on it or downshift it pops and crackles loud like a super car.

I’m 35 and even for me it’s still tame but super exotic sounding.

Also considering getting a muffler delete done. Is the in-cabin noise excessive? How’s it sound in comfort compared to sport plus?

Videos would be highly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #258
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali_g20 View Post
Also considering getting a muffler delete done. Is the in-cabin noise excessive? How’s it sound in comfort compared to sport plus?

Videos would be highly appreciated!
There's going to be drone. Whether that bothers you or not is a personal preference. I can't stand drone and is one reason I love the MPE.
      06-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #259
pjpellegrino
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themur View Post
I would say so. It's louder and I'm actually hearing them more frequently now.
would you say it backfires more frequently? on the stock exhaust i found the sweet spot in 2nd gear at around 5k rpm it sounds amazing like gunshot back fires. does this happen more frequently on the MPE or is it just louder burbles?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #260
themur
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpellegrino View Post
Quote:
I would say so. It's louder and I'm actually hearing them more frequently now.
would you say it backfires more frequently? on the stock exhaust i found the sweet spot in 2nd gear at around 5k rpm it sounds amazing like gunshot back fires. does this happen more frequently on the MPE or is it just louder burbles?
I definitely notice both louder and more frequent backfires with the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #261
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I definitely notice both louder and more frequent backfires with the MPE.
Same here, especially in Sport Plus.
      06-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #262
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

My bastuck fitted. Image was sent from my friend who is responsible for the montage.

Tomorrow I'll probably go get my car back. Can't wait to hear it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      06-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #263
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

Sorry guys for posting it here on the mpe topic, but didn't want to start a new thread.
Just for the ones who are interested on the bastuck exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #264
Oreooo
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340

Quote:

Did you notice any drone during highway cruising?
Appreciate 0