Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications [B46] Bootmod3 Stage 1 w/ 93 Octane on G20 First Impressions

12-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #23
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Probably one of the only ones in the NA region as well.

Btw, I was going through their website and they say it makes 16% more power (stg 1 93 octane). That’s only around 295hp. I saw a dyno reading of a 30i protuning freaks posted and it shows a gain of 32 hp in stg 2 (not stg 1; according to their dynojet graph, stock was 243 and stg 2 93oct was 275). That isn’t much at all for a stg 2 tune. So stg 1 will be slightly less. A jb4 shows a better improvement (230 stock to 262 on map 2). Does that mean a piggyback produces more power than a proper remap? What am I missing here?

Reason I ask is because my B9 A4 with a Racechip did the quarter mile in 13.4s. It did 0-60 in 4.6-4.7s and 0-100 in 11.7-11.9s. This was with a piggyback and an intake only. Everything else was stock. A stg1 APR tuned B9 A4 did the quarter mile in 13.2s and 0-60 in 4.4-4.5s. No shedding weight either. A B9 A4 with a Neuspeed module did the quarter mile in 13.5s. The stock car did 0-60 in 5.2-5.4s and quarter mile time of 13.9-14s. I was hoping a BM3 remap would make my G20 feel faster than my A4 did with a piggyback but I’m not so sure now. The Racechip I had was supposed to add around 60hp to the car and it actually felt like a 300+hp car. It was faster than both our A7 as well as the SQ5.

Last edited by VipinLJ; 12-15-2019 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Physxx3.00
      12-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #24
Physxx
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Probably one of the only ones in the NA region as well.

Btw, I was going through their website and they say it makes 16% more power (stg 1 93 octane). That's only around 295hp. I saw a dyno reading of a 30i protuning freaks posted and it shows a gain of 32 hp in stg 2 (not stg 1; according to their dynojet graph, stock was 243 and stg 2 93oct was 275). That isn't much at all for a stg 2 tune. So stg 1 will be slightly less. A jb4 shows a better improvement (230 stock to 262 on map 2). Does that mean a piggyback produces more power than a proper remap? What am I missing here?

Reason I ask is because my B9 A4 with a Racechip did the quarter mile in 13.4s. It did 0-60 in 4.6-4.7s and 0-100 in 11.7-11.9s. This was with a piggyback and an intake only. Everything else was stock. A stg1 APR tuned B9 A4 did the quarter mile in 13.2s and 0-60 in 4.4-4.5s. No shedding weight either. A B9 A4 with a Neuspeed module did the quarter mile in 13.5s. The stock car did 0-60 in 5.2-5.4s and quarter mile time of 13.9-14s. I was hoping a BM3 remap would make my G20 feel faster than my A4 did with a piggyback but I'm not so sure now. The Racechip I had was supposed to add around 60hp to the car and it actually felt like a 300+hp car. It was faster than both our A7 as well as the SQ5.
I was also contemplating the BM3 but didn't think the 14% increase was enough to justify a tune instead of just getting a piggyback. I installed a Racechip RS and XLR and the butt Dyno was very happy. I took the car straight to the canyons and had a blast. Unfortunately the racetrack won't be open for street drags until late January so testing the times will have to wait till then.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      12-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #25
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physxx View Post
I was also contemplating the BM3 but didn't think the 14% increase was enough to justify a tune instead of just getting a piggyback. I installed a Racechip RS and XLR and the butt Dyno was very happy. I took the car straight to the canyons and had a blast. Unfortunately the racetrack won't be open for street drags until late January so testing the times will have to wait till then.
I’m in the same boat! I was almost ready to buy one but thought I’d dig deeper. Let me check out the RS. I shouldn’t have sold my Racechip. I could’ve mailed them and paid them $150 to send a new map and wiring kit for my 330i.
I’ll also wait to hear from mike@xhp and others to see if they have any insights.
Appreciate 1
Physxx3.00
      12-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #26
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

I did some more digging and found out that almost everyone recommends BM3 over JB4. And that BM3 is smoother. So I’ll probably be doing it soon since my car just did 1000 miles
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #27
Physxx
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did some more digging and found out that almost everyone recommends BM3 over JB4. And that BM3 is smoother. So I’ll probably be doing it soon since my car just did 1000 miles
Yeah that's what I came up with as well which is why I decided to give Racechip a try. So far I'm really happy with the results, maybe one day I'll give BM3 a try. Good luck!!
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      12-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #28
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

You are much better off with a flash tune vs the jb+

Good thinking
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      12-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #29
sspdw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m140

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Good thinking
The B48TU should give more power than the old B48. It has exactly the same upgrades found on the B58TU in m340i. B58TU generates about 10% more power compared to the old B58 on a stage 1 tune. 320hp isnt a unbelivable number on 93/98oct.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
VipinLJ1936.50
      12-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #30
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that's what I came up with as well which is why I decided to give Racechip a try. So far I'm really happy with the results, maybe one day I'll give BM3 a try. Good luck!!
Like I said before. I really liked RC on my A4. It made the car faster. Only problem was the turbo kicking in harder later made the first few thousand RPMs seem laggy (kinda like exaggerated turbo lag but due to the boost kicking in later, not the original lag actually increasing). It didn’t bother me too much because I’m coming from a tuned diesel car which had insane lag at the bottom end but once the boost kicked in, it pushed you into the seat. But the BMW feels like it has less lag than the A4, which is why I’m focusing on smoothness now. Plus I HATE how jerky it is in Sport mode. I’m hoping to fix that as well.

Quote:

Good thinking
Thank you! A couple of questions to mike and I’ll be getting BM3.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #31
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspdw View Post
The B48TU should give more power than the old B48. It has exactly the same upgrades found on the B58TU in m340i. B58TU generates about 10% more power compared to the old B58 on a stage 1 tune. 320hp isnt a unbelivable number on 93/98oct.
I didn’t say it was unbelievable. I meant BM3 says their stage 1 is around 14-16% increase in power which brings it to around 295hp. That seems a bit low for a tune when piggybacks give the same/more power. That’s what my doubt was. Looks like BM3 offers smoothness which is what I want now. Since I won’t be racing or tracking the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #32
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Hi everyone,

So if you’ve been following this thread, I’ve been updating about BM3 basically on a daily basis, and since the 330i is my daily driver, I’m doing all I can on my spare time to get it to drive the best it can. Also, because I am in Toronto, we get a lot of snow each year. Ever since I flashed BM3 Stage 1 93 octane, I’ve been having traction issues when putting too much boost in gear. And also because of the snow/ice on the roads, my traction is further affected by the road conditions. This pushed me to spend time perfecting a tweaked stage 1 flash that has boost by gear reduction on it. I have basically reduced boost in every gear, so that the car no longer skids when accelerating. So far the car drives beautifully and it’s been really snowy out and I’ve been having no problems since the reflash.

My settings goes as follows if anyone wants to drive in the snow with more control with a BM3 tune:

1st: 30%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 10%
4th: 10%
5th: 20%
6th: 10%

FYI I am also running Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 Winter Tires. They perform great in the snow to get you moving but it starts to waver when accelerating faster than you should. But the braking is really nice and so is turning. There is a lot of grip and you feel really planted to the ground.

Anyone else drive in the snow in a JB+/JB4/BM3 tuned G20? You are making a lot of torque without boost reduction and unless you are on dry land with all season performance tires I’m pretty sure you’ll run into traction issues with 370tq and 315hp.
Btw did you notice a drop in performance when you did the boost reduction? We don’t have a lot of snow here and I just got my BM3. But we’re expected to get some snow for Christmas and I’m planning on doing a bit of driving with my family then. Don’t want to run into any traction issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #33
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

B48 reliability

It will be interesting to see how reliable the B48 is with tuning. Logic would tell you that the B48 can reliably run a stage 1 tune due to the fact it shares internals with the B58 and is essentially just a chopped off block. Also the new JCW Mini Clubman comes from the factory with 310 hp and *i think* it’s pretty much the same engine. I am eagerly awaiting the day I can flash the ECU without warranty implications as I feel like ~300 hp and 370 tq is just the right amount
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #34
sspdw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m140

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
It will be interesting to see how reliable the B48 is with tuning. Logic would tell you that the B48 can reliably run a stage 1 tune due to the fact it shares internals with the B58 and is essentially just a chopped off block. Also the new JCW Mini Clubman comes from the factory with 310 hp and *i think* it’s pretty much the same engine. I am eagerly awaiting the day I can flash the ECU without warranty implications as I feel like ~300 hp and 370 tq is just the right amount
I got information from a custom tuner that a stage 1 would be making a healthy 315hp on 93oct. A stage 2 downpipe only would do 335-340.
Appreciate 1
A6bullet336.00
      12-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #35
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Btw did you notice a drop in performance when you did the boost reduction? We don’t have a lot of snow here and I just got my BM3. But we’re expected to get some snow for Christmas and I’m planning on doing a bit of driving with my family then. Don’t want to run into any traction issues.
Yes, there’s a drop in performance when you limit the amount of boost per gear, but because in 4th and 5th, I lose a lot of traction when going full throttle, so by lowering the boost in those gears, the power actually gets delivered since the tires are fully sticking to the ground instead of slipping, so I guess the performance is actually increased.

I named the boost reduced tune snow tune since less boost will allow my car to slip less when there’s lots of snow. When the snow stops, I reflash back to original configuration since it’s definitely better in dry performance. But BM3 Stage 1 has way too much torque increase and your car will definitely slip out on wet land or snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #36
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, there’s a drop in performance when you limit the amount of boost per gear, but because in 4th and 5th, I lose a lot of traction when going full throttle, so by lowering the boost in those gears, the power actually gets delivered since the tires are fully sticking to the ground instead of slipping, so I guess the performance is actually increased.

I named the boost reduced tune snow tune since less boost will allow my car to slip less when there’s lots of snow. When the snow stops, I reflash back to original configuration since it’s definitely better in dry performance. But BM3 Stage 1 has way too much torque increase and your car will definitely slip out on wet land or snow.
Ah gotcha. So I guess I'll use the snow tune for now since it's wet/snowing and I don't want to take any chances with a pregnant wife and family in the car.
Did your butt Dyno notice the decrease in performance?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #37
Physxx
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Like I said before. I really liked RC on my A4. It made the car faster. Only problem was the turbo kicking in harder later made the first few thousand RPMs seem laggy (kinda like exaggerated turbo lag but due to the boost kicking in later, not the original lag actually increasing). It didn’t bother me too much because I’m coming from a tuned diesel car which had insane lag at the bottom end but once the boost kicked in, it pushed you into the seat. But the BMW feels like it has less lag than the A4, which is why I’m focusing on smoothness now. Plus I HATE how jerky it is in Sport mode. I’m hoping to fix that as well.

Quote:

Good thinking
Thank you! A couple of questions to mike and I’ll be getting BM3.
The Racechip didn't change any characteristics of the car it just enhanced it. I know what you mean about the lag in sports mode but it was already there in the first place. Feels like a 50 shoot of nitrous once the boost kicks in lol. That's why I got the Racechip XLR to hopefully remedy that, I'll be installing it tommorow. The car is buttery smooth in comfort though.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #38
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Racechip didn't change any characteristics of the car it just enhanced it. I know what you mean about the lag in sports mode but it was already there in the first place. Feels like a 50 shoot of nitrous once the boost kicks in lol. That's why I got the Racechip XLR to hopefully remedy that, I'll be installing it tommorow. The car is buttery smooth in comfort though.
Yup. Just like you said.

XLR will improve your throttle response. But I don’t want throttle response to become any better in sport mode since I personally think it’s a wee bit touchy. I’ve begun to drive in Comfort mode now because the car feels smoother.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #39
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Shit. I think I bricked my car. I'm in my car. Flashed to stage 1 93 octane. It said flashing was successful. Threw up a lot of errors on the idrive while it was flashing. It said turn the ignition on and go to diagnostics to online recode. I tried that and it said dme was flashed. Tried starting the car and it said car cannot be started when in gear. Car is in Park. I have no idea what to do. Mailed PTF. Tried turning off the car and after 30s the alarm went off. I'm stuck now.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #40
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Shit. I think I bricked my car. I'm in my car. Flashed to stage 1 93 octane. It said flashing was successful. Threw up a lot of errors on the idrive while it was flashing. It said turn the ignition on and go to diagnostics to online recode. I tried that and it said dme was flashed. Tried starting the car and it said car cannot be started when in gear. Car is in Park. I have no idea what to do. Mailed PTF. Tried turning off the car and after 30s the alarm went off. I'm stuck now.
Did you let the car finish flashing all the way? It happened to me, you’ve gotta let it go ALL the way through, when it says the process is complete in the BM3 client, and it doesn’t say “... Start your car after 5 seconds” in the browser, the process isn’t fully complete. Maybe try reflash but let the browser finish all the way. Otherwise there will be a bunch of error codes, not sure if this is the problem, but let me know if reflashing helps at all

Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #41
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you let the car finish flashing all the way? It happened to me, you’ve gotta let it go ALL the way through, when it says the process is complete in the BM3 client, and it doesn’t say “... Start your car after 5 seconds” in the browser, the process isn’t fully complete. Maybe try reflash but let the browser finish all the way. Otherwise there will be a bunch of error codes, not sure if this is the problem, but let me know if reflashing helps at all

Goodluck!
I flashed till it said flash was complete and to go to diagnostics for online recode. It did not say anything like start your car in 5 seconds. Let me try that once more. Car still refuses to start saying it is in gear a (when it shows that it is in P) and the roadway is too steep (when it is on perfectly level ground).

Btw, in mine, it didn’t say that (what I’ve marked in bold and italicized from your quote) at all. During any time.

Last edited by VipinLJ; 12-19-2019 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #42
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
I flashed till it said flash was complete and to go to diagnostics for online recode. It did not say anything like start your car in 5 seconds. Let me try that once more. Car still refuses to start saying it is in gear a (when it shows that it is in P) and the roadway is too steep (when it is on perfectly level ground).

Btw, in mine, it didn’t say that (what I’ve marked in bold and italicized from your quote) at all. During any time.
I think you have adequately frightened me out of doing this. I hope your situation gets fixed easily!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #43
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

My car works!!!! Hallelujah. And thank you very much PTF and Mike@xph. I have no idea what I’d have done without the help of these guys. Ill post details in a bit. But yes. Car is working fine now.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #44
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
My car works!!!! Hallelujah. And thank you very much PTF and Mike@xph. I have no idea what I’d have done without the help of these guys. Ill post details in a bit. But yes. Car is working fine now.
Very nice, glad it worked out!

Hope you enjoy
Appreciate 0