Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2020 M340i Stock Dyno Number

Closed Thread

07-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
2020 M340i Stock Dyno Number

Those who have been following us on Instagram saw the latest updates we have been posting regarding the support for G20 chassis. We will have a completely different thread started when it comes to flash/tune information for the M340i later on today, but for now, I'm posting the first official Dyno results in stock form.

Before we post actual number, I though it would be interesting for us to share this bit of info. The M340i was extremely over-rated when it rolled off the production plan, with nearly 400whp in stock form! Yes you read it right, if you purchased one of the first vehicles in production, then you have near 400whp STOCK car. That is due to the fact that BMW forgot to implement SWT (Tuning Authorization Certificate), and thus customers received a factory tuned cars. But quick, BMW caught onto this issue, and implemented a software "fix" that limited your power a bit. This new fix limited your power to 346whp (390bhp) and yet that still was over what EPA/BMW specs should be, so early July of 2019, BMW implemented yet another software fix to bring the car down to advertised 338whp(382bhp). Not only did they lower the power down, they also implemented a new style firewall against tuning, fully disabling our access to the DME key sectors that we have once used to exploit and be able to flash our own files. More about this will be posted in the Flash information thread, but here are the stock numbers of the 2020 M340i in two forms:

1) Loaded with First firmware fix that ended in 7-19
2) Loaded with Latest firmware fix that rolled out early July

Appreciate 2
RPM1123280.00
kern4174442.00
      08-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Huh. How do you know there have been two detunes? I test drove and ordered my car in May with production finished early June. I'm taking delivery next weekend and will be very unhappy if my drive experience is any less than test drives. They better not F with my car!
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      08-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Huh. How do you know there have been two detunes? I test drove and ordered my car in May with production finished early June. I'm taking delivery next weekend and will be very unhappy if my drive experience is any less than test drives. They better not F with my car!
ditto
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

The date of the first detune?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Or is this bullshit and you're trying to sell tunes... :
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The first update went into effect a few months after production for M340 started and this update included the most substantial power loss. The second update came out in the beginning of July and had slight power reductions, as you can see on the graph above.

The same case is currently happening with the Supra platform. The early production Supra we've working with for the last few months has shown it's making over 360bhp which is extremely overrated. Now Toyota/BMW are releasing a new update which should follow the M340 trend and bring the power closer to the advertised number of 335bhp.

Quote:
Something like this has happened in the BMW world quite a few times during early production months. If you would like to find an early production car with the first level of updates, you're more than welcome to bring the car to us and we will do before and after update Dyno pulls to show you the difference as you're willing to pay for the Dyno and our time.

P.S: When we have some time, we'll post the data log showing the difference between pre July update and one of the early production vehicles so you can clearly see it for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #7
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
From what I can gather the M340 is delivering roughly 346/338whp and with a tune, we gain roughly 100whp over that number.

That said, what are you saying we should be suspect of?

Last edited by itsglen; 08-03-2019 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh yeah, the 100whp over stock will be the absolute "safe" limit that the factory turbo will limit us. Still this gain makes this car a BLAST!

As promised, here are the logs from very early firmware vs the later July one.
July:
https://datazap.me/u/missiontuning/2...?log=0&data=17
Early:
https://datazap.me/u/missiontuning/2...?log=0&data=17

Looking at July version, we have 1045kg/h peak airflow, which translates to 38.4lb/min. This gives you a rough estimate of 384bhp

Now, on the very early update, we get 1220kg/h, or 44.8lb/min. This brings you to roughly 448bhp, or 395whp.

What are the chances of you having the very early production firmware still on the car? Very Very slim. The first firmware (calibration only) "upgrade" was done at the dealers and even possibly Over The Air, since the update was very small in size. The following update included full Program and Bootloader changes that can not be done over the air, so BMW issued a recall.

Lucky for us, our test car was sitting on the lot as one of the first productions, and Over The Air update was disabled. When we went to pick it up, our sales point of contact at the dealer "informed" us about this recall but left the car as is, just like we asked. So the first step for us was to get the car Data-logged BEFORE any updates, then update it to the latest version and log again. If we did not do this, no one would have noticed a difference as nearly every car now is updated past the 086_090_006, either from dealer visits or over the air updates.
Appreciate 1
pikkagtr3847.00
      08-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
Those who have been following us on Instagram saw the latest updates we have been posting regarding the support for G20 chassis. We will have a completely different thread started when it comes to flash/tune information for the M340i later on today, but for now, I'm posting the first official Dyno results in stock form.

Before we post actual number, I though it would be interesting for us to share this bit of info. The M340i was extremely over-rated when it rolled off the production plan, with nearly 400whp in stock form! Yes you read it right, if you purchased one of the first vehicles in production, then you have near 400whp STOCK car. That is due to the fact that BMW forgot to implement SWT (Tuning Authorization Certificate), and thus customers received a factory tuned cars. But quick, BMW caught onto this issue, and implemented a software "fix" that limited your power a bit. This new fix limited your power to 346whp (390bhp) and yet that still was over what EPA/BMW specs should be, so early July of 2019, BMW implemented yet another software fix to bring the car down to advertised 338whp(382bhp). Not only did they lower the power down, they also implemented a new style firewall against tuning, fully disabling our access to the DME key sectors that we have once used to exploit and be able to flash our own files. More about this will be posted in the Flash information thread, but here are the stock numbers of the 2020 M340i in two forms:

1) Loaded with First firmware fix that ended in 7-19
2) Loaded with Latest firmware fix that rolled out early July

This blows my mind that BMW would actually do an update to detune the car all the way down to the advertised horsepower at the crank (approx. 382). I get what you said about the earliest versions, etc, etc.....but with the 2nd update, it's literally detuned to advertised HP numbers??? I mean, the magic of BMW's turbo charged engines (literally back to the N54 in 2007) is that ALL of them have run over stock HP numbers from the factory.....some of which have run almost as much WHP as the stock factory crank horsepower. In fact, this has been why many of the "underpowered" BMW's have kept up with the competition with more HP. Take the "425 hp" F80 M3 when it came out several years ago. Why did it virtually match the 503 HP C63S in most drag races? Because that F80 was really putting out close to 480 HP.

Tune or no tune.....this definitely turns me off to the M340i if BMW is strangely putting it's foot down and producing cars that are purposely detuned to factory numbers. Is there a reason they decided to do this??
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
This blows my mind that BMW would actually do an update to detune the car all the way down to the advertised horsepower at the crank (approx. 382). I get what you said about the earliest versions, etc, etc.....but with the 2nd update, it's literally detuned to advertised HP numbers??? I mean, the magic of BMW's turbo charged engines (literally back to the N54 in 2007) is that ALL of them have run over stock HP numbers from the factory.....some of which have run almost as much WHP as the stock factory crank horsepower. In fact, this has been why many of the "underpowered" BMW's have kept up with the competition with more HP. Take the "425 hp" F80 M3 when it came out several years ago. Why did it virtually match the 503 HP C63S in most drag races? Because that F80 was really putting out close to 480 HP.

Tune or no tune.....this definitely turns me off to the M340i if BMW is strangely putting it's foot down and producing cars that are purposely detuned to factory numbers. Is there a reason they decided to do this??
To make room for the M3 coming out in 2020.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
To make room for the M3 coming out in 2020.
When the f80 came out 5 years ago, BMW didn't detune the f30 335i to 300 crank horsepower (255 WHP). They let it stay "underrated" so that it fared well against the competing S4's and the like. And it wasn't an issue, because when the f80 M3 came it, it was significantly underrated as well....so it was all relative. It's like BMW is trying to norm their #s back down to the claimed factory hp figures.....should I worry that the new M3 will "only" put out 475-500 hp because those are the factory claimed horsepower figures? If so, perhaps the new M3 won't have much on the f80 M3 in terms of power.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #12
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
When the f80 came out 5 years ago, BMW didn't detune the f30 335i to 300 crank horsepower (255 WHP). They let it stay "underrated" so that it fared well against the competing S4's and the like. And it wasn't an issue, because when the f80 M3 came it, it was significantly underrated as well....so it was all relative. It's like BMW is trying to norm their #s back down to the claimed factory hp figures.....should I worry that the new M3 will "only" put out 475-500 hp because those are the factory claimed horsepower figures? If so, perhaps the new M3 won't have much on the f80 M3 in terms of power.
I don't disagree with you. My response above was somewhat sarcastic, as I think it's BS they are detuning the engine that significantly, though if it's still making advertised figures then none of us have grounds to complain.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #13
OldOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

I have one of the earliest production cars, so even though I haven't brought it back for a recall, sounds like the fist update might've been pushed over the air? Is there a way to tell?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #14
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOne View Post
I have one of the earliest production cars, so even though I haven't brought it back for a recall, sounds like the fist update might've been pushed over the air? Is there a way to tell?
I don't think this type of update can be pushed OTA. The referenced update is impacting performance, whereas OTA updates refer to iDrive only.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #15
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Just picked up my car yesterday. I test drove in May and my car started production May 29. It feels every bit as fast as my test drives FWIW. It's very powerful with a hell of a lot more torque than my E92 M3 and HP feels similar.

Not sure if I have a detune prior to picking it up but if so I can't feel it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #16
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Picked up our 8/11 and it feels as fast as the version we drove in late May. We went into production 5/30 so maybe we got an earlier version?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #17
NeverEnough007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30

Any updates here? a quick de-tune reflash means, a quick reflash should be the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #18
Sirok
Turbo = God's Gift
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i X-Drive

Quote:
It's not bs. Full truth. Public info. First batch of M340i in 2020 had more power. They then detuned it.