Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

02-19-2024, 06:23 AM   #529
deluxe101
Rep
Drives: 340xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340ix.be View Post
Look what I found : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...94305-9999.pdf

Technical bulletin from BMW about potential noise from windshield washer tank.

I will definitively try that asap
Hi there M340ix.be
Any update?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 01:26 PM   #530
M340ix.be
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 M340ixdrive touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe101 View Post
Hi there M340ix.be
Any update?
Nope, unfortunately didn't change a thing!

Next is looking to wishbone and tension strut refering to another technical bulletin from bmw.

But first i have to solve connected drive issue. Everything linked with app stopped working yesterday.... so I'm left without spotify, android auto,.....
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 12:42 AM   #531
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
interesting theory, that the shavings are normal if you drain the oil and look.

nevertheless i'll let the warranty process play out and will let you know if the wooooooooo noise is still there after the diff is replaced
btw when my oil was replaced, there was an X5 G05 for the same procedure at the lift up, I asked to show me his oil from the front differential, and there were two things:
1) the total volume was less than it should be, I don't remember exactly, but like less for 300 grams in X5
2) it was much worse than mine, I compared both, mine was without metal things, X5's was with them.
X5 owner didn't complain on any noise

I also changed the oil twice with different viscosity, absolutely no difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:08 AM   #532
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
btw when my oil was replaced, there was an X5 G05 for the same procedure at the lift up, I asked to show me his oil from the front differential, and there were two things:
1) the total volume was less than it should be, I don't remember exactly, but like less for 300 grams in X5
2) it was much worse than mine, I compared both, mine was without metal things, X5's was with them.
X5 owner didn't complain on any noise

I also changed the oil twice with different viscosity, absolutely no difference.
Thanks for the update. Connected drive issue solved (bug between the car and BMW server solved by deleting the car from the myBmw App yesterday evening and reconnecting everything this morning)

I'm not sure, but as we are discussing about front diff, the noise seems to also impact RWD cars (need to check in the thread) ==> that would unlink the source of noise and the front diff.

Next tests I'll do :
- check (again) front wishbones and tension strut for play
- maybe put some balancing masses on the brake dust shield to see if this might be the part resonating ==> it would affect the frequency of the noise if linked.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 08:43 PM   #533
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

got the front diff replaced today, no more grinding/whining sound from the left side of the car in a right hand drive 2021 G21

but i can hear something plasticky rattling from the left door lol

regards
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 10:22 AM   #534
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
got the front diff replaced today, no more grinding/whining sound from the left side of the car in a right hand drive 2021 G21

but i can hear something plasticky rattling from the left door lol

regards
oh really? did they say anything about diff's condition? or just replaced and that's it?

PS congratulations

Last edited by deluxe101; 03-03-2024 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:55 PM   #535
smint1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Just bought a 2020 330i M Sport and realised it is making the noise described here.

I read that the strut braces fitted to M Sports help transmit the sound to the cabin.

Has anyone tried removing the brace permanently ?

They aren't fitted to none M Sport models so I assume its safe, you'd just lose some handling ?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 02:46 PM   #536
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Connected drive issue solved (bug between the car and BMW server solved by deleting the car from the myBmw App yesterday evening and reconnecting everything this morning)

I'm not sure, but as we are discussing about front diff, the noise seems to also impact RWD cars (need to check in the thread) ==> that would unlink the source of noise and the front diff.

Next tests I'll do :
- check (again) front wishbones and tension strut for play
- maybe put some balancing masses on the brake dust shield to see if this might be the part resonating ==> it would affect the frequency of the noise if linked.
Hello there,

I finally had time to look a bit more to my car after my holliday.

Switched back to summer tires (Michelin Pilot super sport 225 -255) and changed my wheels for 18" M662 (8"front 9"rear).

I've added some weight to the brake dust shield in the process (adhesive wheel balance blocks). I also tried to clean them as much as possible.

I don't really know what is responsible of the improvement but the noise is really much less noticeable or changed frequency (lower) !!!

I have read in another thread about vibration affecting the G30-31 5 series linked with hub/brake disc/wheel assembly going slightly out of balance. ==> as we are based on the same platform, it might be linked with brake component resonating.

I'll try one of their "easiest" solution which is perfectly centering the wheel on the hub and adding friction rings between the disc and the wheel (34 10 6 884 839)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:38 AM   #537
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:
Hello there,

I finally had time to look a bit more to my car after my holliday.

Switched back to summer tires (Michelin Pilot super sport 225 -255) and changed my wheels for 18" M662 (8"front 9"rear).

I've added some weight to the brake dust shield in the process (adhesive wheel balance blocks). I also tried to clean them as much as possible.

I don't really know what is responsible of the improvement but the noise is really much less noticeable or changed frequency (lower) !!!

I have read in another thread about vibration affecting the G30-31 5 series linked with hub/brake disc/wheel assembly going slightly out of balance. ==> as we are based on the same platform, it might be linked with brake component resonating.

I'll try one of their "easiest" solution which is perfectly centering the wheel on the hub and adding friction rings between the disc and the wheel (34 10 6 884 839)
thank you for this update, I am curious why do everyone have it from the left side only? (I am about left hand cars)

please update if anything happens after mounting this 34 10 6 884 839
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 09:03 AM   #538
smint1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smint1 View Post
Just bought a 2020 330i M Sport and realised it is making the noise described here.

I read that the strut braces fitted to M Sports help transmit the sound to the cabin.

Has anyone tried removing the brace permanently ?

They aren't fitted to none M Sport models so I assume its safe, you'd just lose some handling ?
I removed brace, noise still there from 20mph up.

Also tried jacking rear wheels up and put it in drive up to 40mph, didn't make the noise so I think that eliminates the gearbox, drive shaft bearings and rear diff.

New front wheel bearings next week, will report back.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 04:25 PM   #539
M340ix.be
Rep

Quote:
thank you for this update, I am curious why do everyone have it from the left side only? (I am about left hand cars)

please update if anything happens after mounting this 34 10 6 884 839
Hello everyone,

I installed the friction rings from BMW. I took the opportunity to thoroughly clean (with sandpaper) the contact surfaces from hub/disc and wheels.

I used the alignement tool from BMW in order to perfectly center the wheel while tightening the bolts (using first my impact driver in the lowest torque setting while the car is lifted before setting the bolts to the recommended 140NM with torque wrench when on the floor)

I have also replaced some other parts that were a bit worn :
- Cover, wheelhousing, rear, front right 51717340928 (took the opportunity to replace some plastic expanding rivet and bolt that were missing in the process - I also inserted some insulation foam above this trim, in the fender and around the windshield wiper fluid filling hose)

- hood sealing : Sealing side panel right 51767419386

Maybe this is a placebo effect - but I can't notice any annoying humming anymore.

Can't say for sure what is responsible of the improvement :
- parts replaced (see above)
- new wider rims from G30 5 series (M662)
- cleaning the brake dust shield (and probably bending them in the process )
- increasing the weight of the brake dust shield via balancing masses
- perfect cleaning/alignement/tightening of the wheels

Maybe it is just the high rolling noise of the michelin pilot super sport covering everthing else ...

I'll follow this closely

(small remarks regarding the location of the noise for me (LHD car) : it was coming from the right - passenger side)
Appreciate 1