Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Stock market tips and experiences

01-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #67
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
No matter, the recession isn't over yet, nor have we hit bottom.
Recession? Falling stock market != recession. Look at the GDP, we are sure as hell not in a recession and the Fed needs to slap themselves for the knee-jerk inter-meeting cut they made. I'd rather have a recession than inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #68
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post

What financial website do you write for?
I write the weekly ETF Trend Tracker report at www.morpheustrading.com

It's run by Deron Wagner. We both have many years trading. He started with Oliver Velez at Pristine and hosted an intraday trading room. I started a partnership managing a trading fund, and was the head trader.

Last edited by cgnahc; 01-28-2008 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #69
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Recession? Falling stock market != recession. Look at the GDP, we are sure as hell not in a recession and the Fed needs to slap themselves for the knee-jerk inter-meeting cut they made. I'd rather have a recession than inflation.
Recession is what you make out of it and means differently to different people. Recession is basically defined as 2 consecutive quarters of declining GDP. There may be other interpretations, but it really doesn't matter. It basically means you still have the same purchasing power, but you are not exercising that option. (sorry, using too many common market terms) Sure, inflation means everything cost so much and you can't even affort it if you want it. So now, the economy of the world really depend on us to spend. I think that is about it in a nut shell, and in less than 100 words. Growth is almost inevitable due to the biology of population expansion...until we hit critical mass environmentally. Anyways, that my opinion.
      07-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #70
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Stocks down today! invest!?

Stocks have fell by over 10% in some areas such as AMD/Google, etc...

I've invested a good amount - going short - good idea?

What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #71
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

And more than that in some other places, hang in there, it'll come back!
      07-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #72
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

yeah, I'm in for a quick gain - hopefully it'll shoot back up a few % before end of today, if not that, atleast a bit more next week!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #73
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

First timer here... how could I get in and buy some google stock?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #74
mrwma237
Polytech Trooper
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440i Gran Coupe

i thought u were gmoney? hehe

just open an account a brokerage and then wire in funds. then hit a few buttons and then buy buy buy!

stimulate the market!
      07-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #75
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
i always get confused about religion when market is slow or down... i dont know who to follow coz Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #76
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
Stocks have fell by over 10% in some areas such as AMD/Google, etc...

I've invested a good amount - going short - good idea?

What are your thoughts?

I bought share off google a week before 1st quarter earings came out and that day shares jumped $100 per share.

So today they fell $50. I am still up.

Invest when u think that time is right.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #77
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Google? Really? They dropped like 10% today and their P/E is still 34. You're crazy.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #78
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

I picked up GM friday for just over $9 a share... Great buy imho..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #79
mrvuml
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i w/ZSP

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Apple sucks this week! 3G iPhone release didn't seem to help much.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #80
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvuml View Post
Apple sucks this week! 3G iPhone release didn't seem to help much.
I don't think you will see 3G IPhone numbers until next QTR

Apple FTMFW, Be patient. +Earnings out on Monday. I'm thinking (hoping)$200 stock by the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 02:21 AM   #81
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
First timer here... how could I get in and buy some google stock?
First off, you need to do research. find out what the stock market exactly is and how it operates, when it operates, and who operates it. Then, like aforementioned, find a broker. Scottrade is decent - I use that. Mainly look for gimmicks like free this, but our fees are like hell. Scottrade is not bad, you get 3 free trades from a referral (refer me and we both get 3 free trades) and after that it's $7 a trade (buy or sell).

Quick 101 for stocks:

Market opens at 9:30AM EST 8:30 CST
Market Closes at 5:00PM EST 4:00PM CST

Basic rules of market supply/demand

You buy a share, you own a % of the company. If enough people buy it, the share will go up. Once you sell the share, you will get Sell price - Buy price = Gross Profit but then you have to subtract fees so gross - fees = net profit.

Example:

Buy a share at $10, it goes up to $20 in a week (that's 100% increase, VERY rare) and you sell at the end of the week. Your fees are 3$ per trade, so this is your profit

$20-$10 = $10 - 2x3 (3 for buy and 3 for sell) = $4

now if you have bought two shares, it would've been $20-6$ = 14$

Basically, doesn't matter if you buy 1 share or a 1000 shares, that price per trade is fixed.

There is something else called shorting which is basically betting that the stock will fall. more complicated but sometimes well worth the risk - read up!

and good luck! It's a wild ride out there, make sure you know if it's bear or bull (I believe we're in a bear market right now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MIKE View Post
I don't think you will see 3G IPhone numbers until next QTR

Apple FTMFW, Be patient. +Earnings out on Monday. I'm thinking (hoping)$200 stock by the end of the year.

Eh, I've seen resistance for apple stock at 184 most of the time and support after it falls at 171-174ish....

it's a gamble because the market is fluctuating so damn much!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #82
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
First off, you need to do research. find out what the stock market exactly is and how it operates, when it operates, and who operates it. Then, like aforementioned, find a broker. Scottrade is decent - I use that. Mainly look for gimmicks like free this, but our fees are like hell. Scottrade is not bad, you get 3 free trades from a referral (refer me and we both get 3 free trades) and after that it's $7 a trade (buy or sell).

Quick 101 for stocks:

You buy a share, you own a % of the company. If enough people buy it, the share will go up. Once you sell the share, you will get Sell price - Buy price = Gross Profit but then you have to subtract fees so gross - fees = net profit.

Example:

Buy a share at $10, it goes up to $20 in a week (that's 100% increase, VERY rare) and you sell at the end of the week. Your fees are 3$ per trade, so this is your profit

Basically, doesn't matter if you buy 1 share or a 1000 shares, that price per trade is fixed.

There is something else called shorting which is basically betting that the stock will fall. more complicated but sometimes well worth the risk - read up!

and good luck! It's a wild ride out there, make sure you know if it's bear or bull (I believe we're in a bear market right now)

Eh, I've seen resistance for apple stock at 184 most of the time and support after it falls at 171-174ish....

From Yahoo Finance..
Apple (AAPL) shipped 1.4 million computers in the US during Q2, representing 8.5% market share and 38% year-over-year growth. Mac shipments grew 9 times faster than the overall U.S. PC market (4.2%) in Q2.......

combined with IPHone sales next QTR doesn't look bad
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #83
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

The iPhone means very little to Apple, as does the iPod. Their business is and continues to be computers. Apple was all happy about selling 1m phones in the first weekend. That's great, but Nokia sells something like 1.5m phones every single day of the year. The iPhone is a toy at this time.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #84
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
The iPhone means very little to Apple, as does the iPod. Their business is and continues to be computers. Apple was all happy about selling 1m phones in the first weekend. That's great, but Nokia sells something like 1.5m phones every single day of the year. The iPhone is a toy at this time.
I disagree. Yes computers are the main source for Apple but to say IPhones and IPods mean very little to Apple is crazy. Apple gets a piece of the AT&T service plan as well. I don't know how many phones Nokia sells but I know they are crap and carriers are giving them away for free with service plan. When was the IPhone free? When was anything free from Apple?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #85
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:

Quick 101 for stocks:

Example:

Sounds like a real 'rush'. Addiction?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #86
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
get the damn hyundai stock!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #87
BMWdmk
*Rollin 3rd*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something fast

metals ftw!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #88
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
yeah, I'm in for a quick gain

Congratulations,

You have just discovered the quickest and more sure-fire way to lose all of your money in the stock market!

Also, you mentioned that you were shorting.. Another very good way to lose a whole lot of money over the long haul if you don't know exactly what you are doing because of the very steep downside involved.

To anyone just getting involved in the stock market, I advise you to be very conservative. If you are even THINKING about shorting a stock, consider just writing covered calls instead, which limits your downside.

I am not trying to belittle or insult darkphantom, but it appears to me that he is not experienced enough to be giving 100% sound advice.

That being said, I do not believe that I have the necessary experience either, I am just trying to clear up some confusion and misconceptions that his post might have caused.