Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Quickest way to get to manual mode?

04-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #23
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottroc View Post
Oh and I nearly put my foot through the floor the other day when I forgot and tried to use the clutch. Lol.
This happens to most of us who were use to driving manual cars on the regular lol. I sold my manual car Bimmer in summer 2016 and still find my foot searching for that clutch pedal sometimes.
      04-08-2020, 02:46 AM   #24
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Lol. Yes I'm betting I'll do that lots of times.

I find creeping forward in traffic tricky too as I would normally just feather the clutch without using the accelerator, now I have to feather the accelerator and hover over or feather the brake too.

I use the Auto-hold feature which is great because I disliked with an Auto the way it crept forward when you didn't want to unless you had your foot on the brake. But it does mean you don't creep when you want to. Once you're stopped you're stopped.

So basically being used to Manual cars the clutch isn't just about changing gears...it's about control. Now I feel I don't have that control although I guess I need to get used to the control being under my right foot instead of my left.
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      04-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #25
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
All credits to Yobyot
  • To shift instantly to the lowest possible gear, press and hold the left shift paddle.
  • To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press and hold the right shift paddle.
  • To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press the right shift paddle and then quickly press the left paddle; release both paddles.
That's it! That's the magic! Here's why this is so important.

When you get stuck down a great road, winding and sweeping and just urging you to push, to hear that engine sing, in a manual you ALWAYS want to be on it. You ALWAYS want that song, your become impatient because you're sitting in second at 4000 RPM and you just want to GO!

In an automatic, you no longer NEED to do this (you still can of course!) You can drive up that great road in full manual mode, shifting as you want, and when it slows to a crawl, you flip into automatic mode gently and calmly, and suddenly you can go slow again.

Flipping the gear stick back and forth requires your right hand (in the US!), it gets your blood pumping to move your arm rather than your fingers. It's inherently aggressive. I hope those who have driven manual know exactly what I mean when shifting through the gears of a performance car. To hold the right paddle and flick the left to jump back into "quiet mode" makes all the difference on a long drive!

Thanks Yobyot and VipinLJ! That was a big piece of the puzzle!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:08 AM   #26
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Couldn't agree more, EndOfAnEra.

Quote:
To shift instantly to the lowest possible gear, press and hold the left shift paddle.
To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press and hold the right shift paddle.
To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press the right shift paddle and then quickly press the left paddle; release both paddles.
I wonder if you can do the same using the stick instead of the paddles? Ie hold the stick back or quickly back then forward?
Appreciate 1