Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Pattern on iDrive screen

02-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #1
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Pattern on iDrive screen

The sun was hitting my iDrive screen at a strange angle today, and I noticed a cross hatched pattern on the screen. Not visible pixels or anything like that but almost like an orange peel effect on the glass itself.

I can't see it in any other light except when the sun is creating a glare on the screen.

Not a big deal but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this?
      02-21-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
The sun was hitting my iDrive screen at a strange angle today, and I noticed a cross hatched pattern on the screen. Not visible pixels or anything like that but almost like an orange peel effect on the glass itself.

I can't see it in any other light except when the sun is creating a glare on the screen.

Not a big deal but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this?
I just noticed that today too!!! When the sunlight hit the screen from an angle. I believe it’s normal since it’s uniformly distributed. Maybe something to do with it being touch?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #3
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I just noticed that today too!!! When the sunlight hit the screen from an angle. I believe it’s normal since it’s uniformly distributed. Maybe something to do with it being touch?
I've been reading some other X3 owners where the dealership forgot to take the protective film off the screen (it's kind of like a screen protector). I don't want to start picking at the corner of the screen but I'm wondering if that's what it is?

I'm glad someone else noticed this though! Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:59 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've been reading some other X3 owners where the dealership forgot to take the protective film off the screen (it's kind of like a screen protector). I don't want to start picking at the corner of the screen but I'm wondering if that's what it is?

I'm glad someone else noticed this though! Lol
I removed the protective film when I got her. So yea. I don’t think there’s another protective film on there unless BMW went paranoid and put two on there and the second one is perfectly stuck.
At first, I thought it was fine scratches like swirl marks you see on gloss trims (when I first saw the marking on the iDrive screen). I was satisfied when I noticed it is uniformly present all over the iDrive screen.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I removed the protective film when I got her. So yea. I don’t think there’s another protective film on there unless BMW went paranoid and put two on there and the second one is perfectly stuck.
At first, I thought it was fine scratches like swirl marks you see on gloss trims (when I first saw the marking on the iDrive screen). I was satisfied when I noticed it is uniformly present all over the iDrive screen.
Ah okay. That's exactly why I don't want to go picking at it. Swirl marks is what I thought too but when I move my head around to see the pattern shift, it's uniform dots. Not sure what type of display would have such a pattern so close to the surface though...you don't see this on cell phone screens ever. I don't know...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:54 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah okay. That's exactly why I don't want to go picking at it. Swirl marks is what I thought too but when I move my head around to see the pattern shift, it's uniform dots. Not sure what type of display would have such a pattern so close to the surface though...you don't see this on cell phone screens ever. I don't know...
My thoughts exactly. And coming to think of it, I believe I’ve seen those patterns on some other car’s screen before but I cannot remember which one it was. Maybe a GLB I test drove a while back? That had a touch screen too.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:59 AM   #7
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Those are the capacitive touch "sensors". You can see them on any touchscreen with enough light at the right angle, even on your phone!
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      02-22-2020, 06:16 AM   #8
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
Those are the capacitive touch "sensors". You can see them on any touchscreen with enough light at the right angle, even on your phone!
That makes sense! Why are they so obvious on the iDrive screen though? I've had plenty of touchscreen infotainment screens in cars before and never saw that.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
That makes sense! Why are they so obvious on the iDrive screen though? I've had plenty of touchscreen infotainment screens in cars before and never saw that.
Because the new iDrive screens are "capacitive" touchscreens, like your phone would be, where you'd only have to lightly touch the screen for it to work. Older touchscreens in other cars were usually "resistive" touchscreens where you needed a hard press for your input to register.
Appreciate 0