Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 911 turbo S BEATS the 458 Speciale with no technical support (EVO)

04-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #67
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
No, actually they couldn't. They developed a new engine for the RS which is why it's been so delayed.
I am glad someone on this board knows why the Porsche Engineering team decided on a different engine for the RS. Its nice to hear it straight from the men building the cars.
It's not top secret information, the GT3 RS missed its reveal date by 6 months. The original GT3 engine was having fire issues in the standard GT3. Porsche issued a recall and stopped selling any additional cars until the issue was fixed, about 700 cars were effected. They decided to ditch the 3.8 and go with a 4.0 for the RS.
Yea I know, I have several friends with 991 GT3s.
I seem to recall the 458 having issues with about 12 cars that let themselves on fire in the beginning.
When you push the envelope they are sometimes issues. Thing is, Porsche made everyone whole and my God is that engine something other worldly.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #68
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, actually they couldn't. They developed a new engine for the RS which is why it's been so delayed.
I am glad someone on this board knows why the Porsche Engineering team decided on a different engine for the RS. Its nice to hear it straight from the men building the cars.
It's not top secret information, the GT3 RS missed its reveal date by 6 months. The original GT3 engine was having fire issues in the standard GT3. Porsche issued a recall and stopped selling any additional cars until the issue was fixed, about 700 cars were effected. They decided to ditch the 3.8 and go with a 4.0 for the RS.
Yea I know, I have several friends with 991 GT3s.
I seem to recall the 458 having issues with about 12 cars that let themselves on fire in the beginning.
When you push the envelope they are sometimes issues. Thing is, Porsche made everyone whole and my God is that engine something other worldly.
The 458 caught fire because the glue in the wheel well got to hot, it didn't catch on fire because of engine issues.

I'm not sure why this thread is turning into a Porsche bashing thread. I personally love Porsche, but you have to give credit when it's due to other cars as well instead of constantly trying to justify why Porsche is better.

If you think that engine is something, get inside and Scuderia or Speciale.
      04-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #69
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
This would be funny if the car you were defending wasn't nearly unchanged for the last fifty years. The "big" innovation was a freaking radiator and some coolant twenty years ago.
The fact that they've been able to make the same car for 50 years and be the benchmark year in and year out is a true testament, however, there have still been significant changes over the years...mostly what can't be seen.
Just pointing out that calling a Corvette a dinosaur is a bit silly when your reference is the 911. I realize both have substantially changed, but his other argument was increasing engine displacement, which last I checked, the 911 has done a lot more of compared to the Corvette.

Fact is that a C7 Z06 is faster on many tracks than a 991 GT3. Hide behind all the snobbery, faux elitism, cliches and name calling, but it won't change that fact.

Not calling out the quoted poster, just the general silliness of this thread.

The 964 era would be hard to qualify as a huge success in terms of their competition. From the late 70's to the 993, I'm not sure that I'd say the 911 led it's field. It certainly didn't have the cozy lead the 993, 997 and 991 have enjoyed on higher priced options.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #70
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

There is two clips in this video where he revs out the cars in 2nd gear. The Speciale engine is something else.

4:24 for the GT3
8:12 for the Speciale

04-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #71
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This would be funny if the car you were defending wasn't nearly unchanged for the last fifty years. The "big" innovation was a freaking radiator and some coolant twenty years ago.
The fact that they've been able to make the same car for 50 years and be the benchmark year in and year out is a true testament, however, there have still been significant changes over the years...mostly what can't be seen.
Just pointing out that calling a Corvette a dinosaur is a bit silly when your reference is the 911. I realize both have substantially changed, but his other argument was increasing engine displacement, which last I checked, the 911 has done a lot more of compared to the Corvette.

Fact is that a C7 Z06 is faster on many tracks than a 991 GT3. Hide behind all the snobbery faux elitism, cliches and name calling, but it won't change the facts.

Not calling out the quoted poster, just the genera silliness of this thread.
I never said the vette was a dinosaur.

That said, Porsche has always been a small displacement engine.

The very first corvette had a 4.6 liter engine. It had more displacement 50 years ago than any current 911 on the market today. Porsche on the other hand went from a 1.6 liter to now as high as 4.0 but generally is 3.4-3.8 while Chevy has hit 7.0 liters and is still using more than 50% more displacement than any 911 engine available. Huge difference there.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #72
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
There is two clips in this video where he revs out the cars in 2nd gear. The Speciale engine is something else.

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>
Have you driven both?

I have. Both are quite special engines except the GT3 sounds better. Ferrari sounds too coarse and synthetic while the GT3 sounds like an ALMS car on the road and from 8-9 the ferrari doesn't come close. The PDK is also a bit better IMO.

Evo magazine actually rated the previous 3.8 RS GT3 higher than the Speciale and every other of the 200 cars.

The new RS will be the best out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #73
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
That's speculation there is no proof one effected the other. They didn't scrap the 3.8 altogether and they sure didn't just come up with a new engine overnight. That's fine if that's your opinion but its opinion not fact.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #74
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy View Post

The very first corvette had a 4.6 liter engine. It had more displacement 50 years ago than any current 911 on the market today. Porsche on the other hand went from a 1.6 liter to now as high as 4.0 but generally is 3.4-3.8 while Chevy has hit 7.0 liters and is still using more than 50% more displacement than any 911 engine available. Huge difference there.
Bu who really cares? Maybe displacement IS the answer? What matters is what works and at what price point.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #75
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fact is that a C7 Z06 is faster on many tracks than a 991 GT3. Hide behind all the snobbery faux elitism, cliches and name calling, but it won't change the facts.

Like I said, I wasn't calling you out specifically, you didn't use the dinosaur argument.

However just as a percentage, the Corvette initially had a 3.9L I6 (for a few months) and now has a 6.2L, so call it 60% creep. The 911 started with a 2.0L and has steadily gained displacement up to the 4.0L, or 100%.

Like you said, the 3.6 is more prevalent but still doesn't change the result. The Corvette ran through many larger displacement options over the years and even the C7 Z06 is down on displacement from the C6 Z06 (albeit with a supercharger).

Just being a pest, no dog in this fight. I'd take a GT4 Cayman over any 911 or Corvette. I just find some of the arguments silly.

And hoo-f'ing-ray for the 991 GT3 engine note. It's a glorious thing. Gonna be weird if and when n/a flat sixes disappear.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #76
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like I said, I wasn't calling you out specifically, you didn't use the dinosaur argument.

However just as a percentage, the Corvette initially had a 3.9L I6 (for a few months) and now has a 6.2L, so call it 60% creep. The 911 started with a 2.0L and has steadily gained displacement up to the 4.0L, or 100%.

Like you said, the 3.6 is more prevalent but still doesn't change the result. The Corvette ran through many larger displacement options over the years and even the C7 Z06 is down on displacement from the C6 Z06 (albeit with a supercharger).

Just being a pest, no dog in this fight. I'd take a GT4 Cayman over any 911 or Corvette. I just find some of the arguments silly.
But the fact that the vette started so much bigger makes the percentage comparison a bit skewed. It has always been significantly bigger than anything the 911 has had. That's all I was saying.
Looking at displacement the Porsche increased 2.0 liters while the vette increased 2.4 liters and from a much higher starting point.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #77
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's speculation there is no proof one effected the other. They didn't scrap the 3.8 altogether and they sure didn't just come up with a new engine overnight. That's fine if that's your opinion but its opinion not fact.
You also have no proof that the change wasn't due to the fire, so you're speculating. Do some searches and you will see that one effected the other. Porsche had a 4.0 engine already.
      04-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #78
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You also have no proof that the change wasn't due to the fire, so you're speculating. Do some searches and you will see that one effected the other. Porsche had a 4.0 engine already.
The previous 4.0L was a Mezger, correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #79
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

I was being facetious when I called the Vette a dinosaur but it does represent the big liter'd throwback American muscle cars.

Regarding Porsche's displacement "up tp 4.0L." That's mitigated by the 911 variants. Not all, even in 2015, only offer just the 4.0 liter.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #80
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Don't need to, I stated my opinion as opinion. You stated yours as a fact. Its that simple.

One fact is Ferrai is notorious for cars that burn down to the ground due to poor engineering.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #81
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

I was being facetious when I called the Vette a dinosaur but it does represent the big liter'd throwback American muscle cars.

Regarding Porsche's displacement "up tp 4.0L. That's mitigated by the 911 variants.
I'm just guessing, but this argument will work even better when the non Turbos go to smaller displacement turbos.

Shit gets confusing, like the Macan S, which has turbos, being below the Macan Turbo which also has turbos.

I'm assuming there will be a 992, 992S and 992TT, and all will have twin snails.

Of course rumors of an entry level Corvette with a twin turbo V6 have been around for a few years now, as have the mid engine test cars. This whole conversation could very well be completely different in five years.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #82
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>
Have you driven both?

I have. Both are quite special engines except the GT3 sounds better. Ferrari sounds too coarse and synthetic while the GT3 sounds like an ALMS car on the road and from 8-9 the ferrari doesn't come close. The PDK is also a bit better IMO.

Evo magazine actually rated the previous 3.8 RS GT3 higher than the Speciale and every other of the 200 cars.

Hahahahah ALMS car.. I've been to the Long Beach Grand Prix 7 years in a row and the GT3 sounds nothing like it. That was the dumbest comparison I've ever read. I've been in a GT3 and I've driven a Scuderia. It's not even close, Ferrari is by far the more exciting car to drive and it sounds a thousand times better in my opinion. You seriously are the biggest fanboy I have ever come across.
      04-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #83
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>
Have you driven both?

Hahahahah ALMS car.. I've been to the Long Beach Grand Prix 7 years in a row and the GT3 sounds nothing like it. That was the dumbest comparison I've ever read. I've been in a GT3 and I've driven a Scuderia. It's not even close, Ferrari is by far the more exciting car to drive and it sounds a thousand times better in my opinion. You seriously are the biggest fanboy I have ever come across.
Nope, sorry the Scuderia sounds synthetic and fake too and pales in comparison to the noises from a GT3.

I have a friend who for years was the shop foreman for a very prestigious dealer in CT and could tell you some stories about Ferrari my friend. None of which sound good...

Last edited by Revcrazy; 04-27-2015 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #84
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't need to, I stated my opinion as opinion. You stated yours as a fact. Its that simple.

One fact is Ferrai is notorious for cars that burn down to the ground due to poor engineering.
It is simple, mine is fact.. And you should change your opinion to fact also. What Ferrari burned to the ground...458?
      04-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #85
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
What makes it more exciting to drive?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #86
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>
Have you driven both?

Sorry you're wrong. Probably shouldn't be calling people dumb either.
Loll how is calling a comparison dumb the same as calling a person dumb? But if you are that insecure about your intelligence that's ur prob not mine.

Ya I'm sure I'm wrong Lolll
      04-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #87
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Loll how is calling a comparison dumb the same as calling a person dumb? But if you are that insecure about your intelligence that's ur prob not mine.

Ya I'm sure I'm wrong Lolll
Not insecure at all, seems you're the insecure one calling comparisons dumb and trying to pass off opinion as fact. Sound a bit vitriolic to me...if you even know what that means.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #88
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws
Quote:
What makes it more exciting to drive?
Go drive the 2 cars and you'll see.