Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3 Series vs Tesla Model 3

11-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #45
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensyu View Post
The new 3 series petrol vehicles don't matter at all. BMW needs to make something can compete with Tesla model 3, the new 3 series is not even a match.
And yet here you are, trolling about them!
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      11-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #46
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
the model 3 can outdrag an M3
has ridiculous 0-60 #s
a big built-in advantage.. low center of gravity
tune the suspension alil bit and voilla.. M-killer

look at the roadster 0-60 in 1.9s max speed 250..
the OP is right.. Teslas are putting petrols to shame
And yet hardly anybody wants them. Electric vehicles are definitely part of the future, to the extent that personal transport is still in the future in an increasingly urbanised world.

Also if Teslas are great, why do they only sell a handful outside the US, where you'd think demand would be insatiable given that fuel prices are unrecognisably higher?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #47
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
And yet hardly anybody wants them. Electric vehicles are definitely part of the future, to the extent that personal transport is still in the future in an increasingly urbanised world.

Also if Teslas are great, why do they only sell a handful outside the US, where you'd think demand would be insatiable given that fuel prices are unrecognisably higher?
old habits die slowly.. the sound and smell of a petrol engine.. like an old cuban cigar (well maybe not)
I am just touting the benefits & power and simplicity of that electric engine but
I could care less that electricity is used instead of petrol
if it were true that the electricity that powered Teslas came from clean sources like solar/wind/wave then I'd be all for it

but.. no.. most of it comes from oil/gas/coal
so we are simply converting fossil fuels into electricity where the conversion is inefficient and wasteful
then allowing alot of it to waste in electrical resistance thru long dist ance transport wires
hardly clean.. mostly wasteful.. but the oil/gas conglomerates love that.. and the fckin Saudis
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #48
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Tesla
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #49
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Anyone that compares Tesla to BMW, please tell me what your smoking, I’ll DM you my address because I want some. I applaud what Tesla is doing and they deserve credit, but come on.

Yes, BMW is lagging behind in terms of EV development right now. Yes, the i3 is an unattractive car for the middle school teacher that still wears Vineyard Vines sweaters and thinks their job matters. But give them time they will figure it out. With the Porsche Taycan around the corner I guarantee their working on something very competitive right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #50
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
Anyone that compares Tesla to BMW, please tell me what your smoking, I’ll DM you my address because I want some. I applaud what Tesla is doing and they deserve credit, but come on.

Yes, BMW is lagging behind in terms of EV development right now. Yes, the i3 is an unattractive car for the middle school teacher that still wears Vineyard Vines sweaters and thinks their job matters. But give them time they will figure it out. With the Porsche Taycan around the corner I guarantee their working on something very competitive right now.
Schoolteachers’ jobs aren’t important? Are you British?

Actually you can’t be, schoolteachers in Britain aren’t paid enough to buy and run an i3 unless they’re Head Of

This new Model 3 is the future, in at least one respect. Let me go and try one. Oh it appears they’re not actually on sale here, or indeed, anywhere else in the world. Like the forum as a whole, perhaps the future should also be segregated by country?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #51
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
OP is right. Just delete this entire forum.
Aah, but where would he troll then ; )
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #52
tsm007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
2003 Honda CBR954RR  [0.00]
The iX3 Concept might interest you.

11-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #53
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Tesla Model 3 is rubbish quality and substandard interior materials.

Will Tesla still be around in the next 5-10 years?

And remember, electric cars are still not a viable or practical option for the vast majority of the population.

When Tesla develops a battery and charge system that allows me to fully charge the car in 5 minutes or less, the time it takes me to fill up the 16 gallon fuel tank in my G30, then we will talk.

Until then, I'll happily wait for an electric BMW alternative or at least an option from an established automaker that understands fit/finish and interior material quality.
Heavenyu is right...BMW need to address the increasing performance gap by coming up with a legit high-perfromance BEV.

F30 335i rider here and Tesla Model 3 reservation holder.

It's true Tesla interior quality/ergonomics are not as good as BMW but at the end of the day, I would wager most drivers here would give the nod to performance over interior. My 335i (chipped and sport exhaust) was an awesome sleeper when I got it '13. Today, mid 4's and high 12's is nothing vs a Tesla.

In the word's of Chris Harris, I race "the traffic light grand prix" and for that, there is simply no better car than a Tesla. Today, I know I can't take any Tesla with a batter pack > 75kwh. That's not good. Mercedes C-class sales are down 25% since the Model 3 came out... Mercedes says it it NOT a coincidence. IS/A4/3er/C-class drivers are cross-shopping and voting with their wallets.

310 miles range is more than enough for my commute in Chi-town so that I'd only have to charge it once a week. I'd say for the vast majority of people that live in major metro, that is more than sufficient. Oh, and our new parking garage has 12 EV charging stalls and our leasing company says in the next year, every parking stall will have an outlet. Supercharger charge times are down to 80% full in 20 minutes, and if you don't think batteries/range/charging times are going to improve over the next few years, I have a great deal on an iPhone 3 to sell you....

When I saw this video, I knew the ICE is in the autumn of its life.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...selling-sedans
You saw a drag racing video and now ICE is dying? You should be a stand-up comedian but work on more one-liners please.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      11-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #54
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
the model 3 can outdrag an M3
has ridiculous 0-60 #s
a big built-in advantage.. low center of gravity
tune the suspension alil bit and voilla.. M-killer

look at the roadster 0-60 in 1.9s max speed 250..
the OP is right.. Teslas are putting petrols to shame

Exactly - Tesla is a "look at me, I'm really good" car.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #55
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Exactly - Tesla is a "look at me, I'm really good" car.
Until it goes flat. Teslas round here get driven very gingerly because there's hardly anywhere to charge them

Also not everyone does FIGJAM, even if it is G. I do like the looks, though - smoother lines than the angular and overly styled G20, if the shots of the M Sport variant are anything to go by.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #56
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

I'm sure a lot of M owners appreciate they can go for a full race day and be able to drive home after immediately if needed. all I can think of is putting a beating on those batteries using ludicrous mode and going around a track week in and week out (if you're an avid track person) and eventually pieces of your shitty built tesla start flying all over the track and the batteries go to shit and then you can't even drive home because you're waiting for a 4 hour charge. lol. I'm pretty sure tesla can't even do a full nurburg lap without something exploding or overheating or something going wrong. I saw somewhere it just shat itself half way around multiple tracks. bmw will be just fine and 99% of these people on the forums couldn't care less about what tesla is or isn't doing and what bmw is or isn't doing about tesla. such as myself.
Appreciate 3
sahajesh2290.00
530iDriver1707.50
Mavus2014.50
      11-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #57
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

I want to personally thank everyone driving a Tesla and buying them
It leaves more gasoline for me to watse 😁
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
trey1001125.00
sahajesh2290.00
Fhey454.50
530iDriver1707.50
      11-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #58
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

I actually don't hate Tesla. I don't have strong feelings about them either way. If someone buys one and enjoys it, that's great for them. Who am I to piss on their parade.

What I don't quite understand is why they feel the need to post on a bmw forum, about the reasons they believe their car is superior. I'm not referring to the author of this thread either. That person was clearly just trolling. There have been, however, several long standing, literate members who start threads just to rave about Tesla, and then tend to get defensive when someone challenges their assertions. What do you expect? This is, after all, a bmw forum. Many of us here drive and enjoy our bmws, and we log on here to read about bmws. Just because you've moved on to something else doesn't mean that we're all ready to. When I want to inform myself about Tesla models, I'll go to the appropriate source, which isn't a bmw site.

Now, of course I expect to read reviews and opinions about other brands of cars here. Most of us aren't limited to driving only bmw models, nor are we necessarily married to the brand. Some comparisons of how bmw stacks up to the competition keeps things interesting. I don't, however, want to log on here and read a litany of threads extolling the many virtues of Tesla, and then slog through all of the back and forth nonsense that invariably follows.
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
530iDriver1707.50
lyas4.50
      11-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #59
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I actually don't hate Tesla. I don't have strong feelings about them either way. If someone buys one and enjoys it, that's great for them. Who am I to piss on their parade.

What I don't quite understand is why they feel the need to post on a bmw forum, about the reasons they believe their car is superior. I'm not referring to the author of this thread either. That person was clearly just trolling. There have been, however, several long standing, literate members who start threads just to rave about Tesla, and then tend to get defensive when someone challenges their assertions. What do you expect? This is, after all, a bmw forum. Many of us here drive and enjoy our bmws, and we log on here to read about bmws. Just because you've moved on to something else doesn't mean that we're all ready to. When I want to inform myself about Tesla models, I'll go to the appropriate source, which isn't a bmw site.

Now, of course I expect to read reviews and opinions about other brands of cars here. Most of us aren't limited to driving only bmw models, nor are we necessarily married to the brand. Some comparisons of how bmw stacks up to the competition keeps things interesting. I don't, however, want to log on here and read a litany of threads extolling the many virtues of Tesla, and then slog through all of the back and forth nonsense that invariably follows.
They post on every forum, and comment on every car blog about ICEs being dead, blah blah blah, nothing compares to tesla.

Easily the most annoying group of car owners ever, and I generally suspect most of them have never been into cars and are a horde of former steve job acolytes who needed a new person to worship.

I even care about the environment. I'm the type of person who is like yeah a 330i/e vs a m3 well i'd rather not waste gas / foul up the air more than I need to and I actually care. But I'm 100% hoping Tesla fails just to see them all stfu. Now that most of the other manufacturers have cars in production / going to be in production, well it won't be a big loss.
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
sahajesh2290.00
530iDriver1707.50
      11-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #60
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post

They post on every forum, and comment on every car blog about ICEs being dead, blah blah blah, nothing compares to tesla.

Easily the most annoying group of car owners ever, and I generally suspect most of them have never been into cars and are a horde of former steve job acolytes who needed a new person to worship.

I even care about the environment. I'm the type of person who is like yeah a 330i/e vs a m3 well i'd rather not waste gas / foul up the air more than I need to and I actually care. But I'm 100% hoping Tesla fails just to see them all stfu. Now that most of the other manufacturers have cars in production / going to be in production, well it won't be a big loss.
Depending on how your local power plant is fueled, an EV isn't necessarily the cleanest option either.
Appreciate 1
hans007604.50
      11-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #61
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Here I was thinking that losing a manual transmission was catastrophic and this thread has me now thinking how much worse driving will get in time. A silent, electric car that most likely will drive itself. What a sad day that will be for enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:34 AM   #62
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennuggets View Post
I drove a Prius for 10 years and hated it. I'm driving a four popper 330i and can't get enough.

Never going back to a golf cart again, even if it has Tesla written on it.
Comparing a Tesla with a Prius is like comparing your 330i with a Versa.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #63
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennuggets View Post
I drove a Prius for 10 years and hated it. I'm driving a four popper 330i and can't get enough.

Never going back to a golf cart again, even if it has Tesla written on it.
Comparing a Tesla with a Prius is like comparing your 330i with a Versa.
I agree from the perspective that Prius are miserable cars. Can't blame him for feeing that way after driving around in one for a decade.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #64
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

When Tesla demonstrates they can build a vehicle with world class tolerances, superb interior design and quality of materials, commensurate to the asking price, we'll talk.

The day when you can fully recharge a Tesla/EV in what it takes to fill up a 16-17 US gallon fuel tank (Read: under 5 minutes), we'll talk.

When the prima Donna, narcissistic/Attention seeking Tesla CEO steps down or gets booted by the board or directors and investors, we'll talk.

When maintaining an out of warranty Tesla doesn't become an exercise in futility and dealing with proprietary repairs, sourcing of parts and service (Read: only Tesla service centers can fix your car) we'll talk.

When Tesla gets their act together with quality of service and repairs at their so call proprietary service centers, we'll talk.

When the battery packs of a Tesla doesn't pose a danger to occupants and rescue crews in the aftermath of an accident, we'll talk.

Remember, Tesla's are proprietary money pits out of warranty and no one can fix them even if they wanted to outside of the official repair channels. Don't believe? Take a look and subscribe to YouTube channel "Rich Rebuilds" to see the hell that entails to service, repair and maintain a Tesla out of warranty and manufacturer support. An eye opener!.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #65
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Model S is a nice car but what I don't like is the Tesla guys calling the Model 3 as M3. Dude, It's no M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #66
heavensyu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40 2018 i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
this is the biggest troll post ever
No, if I'm a troll I would post this in Tesla's forum not here. I like BMW but I'm getting more and more disappointed for BMW not moving fast for hybrid and electric. Mercedes and Audi have released 48v hybrid system but I haven't seen BMW's investment on this, also Audi has opened pre-order for e-tron ahead of iX3. The thing I'm worrying about is, would BMW even survive after Tesla starts operating factory in Shanghai and releasing model Y?
Appreciate 0