Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions First Look at Next Gen BMW 4 Series Convertible (G23) Prototype!

03-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #155
MRTQ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F33 428i Luxury-Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
Well, so I guess for people who want a hardtop convertible, the current generation is the one to buy. Almost tempted myself even though I'm not sure a convertible is practical for me.
Thats the thing though, hard top convertibles are excellent year round vehicles with almost no drawbacks compared to fixed roof vehicles.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #156
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Weird, I didn't realize people actually liked 4,000 pound convertibles that occasionally ate their expensive metal roofs.

And of course this is subjective, but I can't think of a good looking four seat folding hardtop car, California/Portofino included.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
JTO245246.50
      03-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #157
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Weird, I didn't realize people actually liked 4,000 pound convertibles that occasionally ate their expensive metal roofs.

And of course this is subjective, but I can't think of a good looking four seat folding hardtop car, California/Portofino included.
Truth !
      03-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #158
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Incredibly disappointed in the rag top decision. I was waiting to upgrade my daily - guess I'll look elsewhere.
These are my favorite comments. I mean, what are you gonna get, really?

Seriously, I'll play your game, what new folding hardtop convertible are you going to get instead of that $60-70k new 4-Series? Audi? Nope. Lexus? Nope. Mercedes? Nope. Porsche? Nope to the Nth degree. VW? Volvo? No and no. You can get a new Miata or Ferrari, and... that's about it. Or you could get a used hardtop convertible, including two BMW models (which is two more than most competitors offer). So please, tell me more about your threats to look elsewhere for a car no one else makes either.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #159
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRTQ View Post
Quote:
Well, so I guess for people who want a hardtop convertible, the current generation is the one to buy. Almost tempted myself even though I'm not sure a convertible is practical for me.
Thats the thing though, hard top convertibles are excellent year round vehicles with almost no drawbacks compared to fixed roof vehicles.
The major draw back for hard tops being a huge compromise of trunk space even with the top up. Can't put a couple sets of golf clubs in the trunk, can't really put luggage for 2 and have the top down. Definitely can't handle typical luggage for a week away. What's the fun of a vert if you can't take it anywhere.

Modern soft tops are sealed and insulated as good as a hard top

I see the differences are subjective style and the fact that yes a hooligan with a knife can cut through it
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #160
MRTQ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F33 428i Luxury-Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The major draw back for hard tops being a huge compromise of trunk space even with the top up. Can't put a couple sets of golf clubs in the trunk, can't really put luggage for 2 and have the top down. Definitely can't handle typical luggage for a week away. What's the fun of a vert if you can't take it anywhere.

I see the differences are subjective style and the fact that yes a hooligan with a knife can cut through it
I have a 428i Vert and I have to disagree, I put a folding table and four full sized folding chairs in the trunk with room to spare. Plenty of trips to the shoppers clubs and large baskets of groceries. Completely practical. You will never be able to get around the poor visibility with a cloth top either.
Appreciate 2
gds52886.00
      03-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #161
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Counter Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Ragtops are so ugly. I get the weight savings but if you're driving a vert you're already killing the driving dynamics anyhow so what's the difference? At least with a hardtop it looks half decent with the top up
Coupes are great, except the top doesn't go down.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #162
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I have a 428i Vert and I have to disagree, I put a folding table and four full sized folding chairs in the trunk with room to spare. Plenty of trips to the shoppers clubs and large baskets of groceries. Completely practical. You will never be able to get around the poor visibility with a cloth top either.
its absurd to say that it is "completely practical" when you cannot fit 2 (or really 1) carry on suitcases with the top down. obviously there are going to be some geometric anomalies that fit. soft top delivers essentially the same trunk space as the coupe that is what i call "completely practical"

I mean is this practical?? top up image:

top down:
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:45 PM   #163
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not true.
You have double storage in convertible with rear seats acting as storage. This is a car for 2 ppl. We have done plenty of long road trips....even with top down, I managed to get all the luggage in trunk as well as rear seats.
Golf clubs...no issue. In the trunk with roof closed or on rear seats with roof open.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #164
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I for one am glad with the soft top change, because despite it being a convertible, trunk space is still important and the current 4er is abysmal in space with the top down, which was one of the reasons I didn't buy it. Not all of us can get a $60k+ convertible as a third vehicle so having some useable trunk space for at least more than one backpack is pretty nice. I'm also glad that it looks like despite using the same platform the 4er will be very different looking in the front and back, looks very inspired by the new Z4 and 8er.

Plus who knows, maybe BMW will do what they did with the e36/46 and sell a removable separate hardtop for the winter.
base price of c7 and 430i are very close. if you need usable trunk space and open top experience thats a better buy. looks a whole lot better too.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:38 PM   #165
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not true.
You have double storage in convertible with rear seats acting as storage. This is a car for 2 ppl. We have done plenty of long road trips....even with top down, I managed to get all the luggage in trunk as well as rear seats.
Golf clubs...no issue. In the trunk with roof closed or on rear seats with roof open.
Car is a 4 seater... just the statement that the car is meant for two shows you have already given up on the two rear seats to make it work for you. I see putting luggage on the rear seats still a huge compromise. I get hard top fans are willing to go to great lengths to simulate practicality through some creativity and sacrifice. Ultimately the soft top is just worlds better at retaining the same practicality as the coupe with the ability to put the top down. I mean why wouldn't you want the ability to fully utilize the trunk with 4 people in the car and top down???
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:07 AM   #166
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank B View Post
Just for the record, going ragtop will only save HALF of that 500lb people keep quoting as the F33's weight penalty over the 4 series coupe...the other half relates to the extra convertible bracing that will always be required for any ragtop.

The 4 Series is a GT, a Grand Touring car, not an uncompromising sports car. A paltry 250 extra pounds is a small price to pay for the Grand Touring luxury of choosing with a flick of a switch, between top down and real coupe with a full size glass backlight.

It was that true coupe experience that lured me away from an awesome V8 in a Mustang or Camaro convertible (and from a bigger chunk of my bank account) and to not even bother looking at Audi or Mercedes.
EXACTLY! Spot on!

Rag tops = Huge blind spots, unsightly wear spots, crease lines in the fabric, and a tiny easy to damage rear window just to name a few negatives.
BS... I just sold my 2008 1er Vert last year and it looked showroom perfect.

Absolutely zero wear to the top. The top remained like new with simple maintenance.
      03-27-2019, 01:16 AM   #167
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Was that a Z4M trailing it? Did anyone else see that?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:27 AM   #168
baju
Wishing I had a 335i
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The next generation BMW 4 Series has already been spotted! Although the current F33 4 Series Convertible does not end production until October 2020 (the current coupe ends production June 2020), the next gen G23 4 Series Convertible prototype is apparently ready to begin testing.
Is that a wrap on the car? Why did they choose that specific design
      03-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #169
baju
Wishing I had a 335i
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
Is that a wrap on the car? Why did they pick that specific design?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #170
Jbravo33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Gross. : they can keep it. I'm glad I just got my order in for a 2020 F83 with HARDTOP. Will probably be last convertible for me. I'm good with soft tops. No matter who the manufacturer is I think they look terrible.
      03-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #171
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Well, my M235i Convertible soft-top replacement is chosen, and it's another soft-top:

Rolls-Royce Dawn. Just need to find another $300K for the auto fund ....
      03-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #172
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not true.
Car is a 4 seater... just the statement that the car is meant for two shows you have already given up on the two rear seats to make it work for you. I see putting luggage on the rear seats still a huge compromise. I get hard top fans are willing to go to great lengths to simulate practicality through some creativity and sacrifice. Ultimately the soft top is just worlds better at retaining the same practicality as the coupe with the ability to put the top down. I mean why wouldn't you want the ability to fully utilize the trunk with 4 people in the car and top down???
It depends on what you need. So probably hard top is not the right car for you.
the rear seats don't have much legroom...you cannot drive far with 4 people In these cars.
Ive my convertible for about 8-9 years...drive with 3-4 ppl locally and have been taking it on 1000+ miles road trips with luggage. No issues ever. Oh...and the spare donut I had to put on rear seat cargo area
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #173
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
These are my favorite comments. I mean, what are you gonna get, really?

Seriously, I'll play your game, what new folding hardtop convertible are you going to get instead of that $60-70k new 4-Series? Audi? Nope. Lexus? Nope. Mercedes? Nope. Porsche? Nope to the Nth degree. VW? Volvo? No and no. You can get a new Miata or Ferrari, and... that's about it. Or you could get a used hardtop convertible, including two BMW models (which is two more than most competitors offer). So please, tell me more about your threats to look elsewhere for a car no one else makes either.
To a lot of customers the USP of the 4 series was its folding hard top. With a soft top its just one from a crowd of very competitive and possibly better machines.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #174
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:

While I agree with your assessment that the hard top 'vert is too heavy and have no issues with BMW going to a soft top for practicality, I still think the e93 335i LCI is one of the best looking BMWs ever made, hard top and all. Simply timeless and still looks fresh on the road today. I just saw one again today and got a half-chubby. The tail lights, the stance, the proportions, the side profile, the dual exhaust pipes... I need to stop. I would go so far as to say it still looks better than the newer 4-series version it was replaced with.
      03-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #175
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Quote:

While I agree with your assessment that the hard top 'vert is too heavy and have no issues with BMW going to a soft top for practicality, I still think the e93 335i LCI is one of the best looking BMWs ever made, hard top and all. Simply timeless and still looks fresh on the road today. I just saw one again today and got a half-chubby. The tail lights, the stance, the proportions, the side profile, the dual exhaust pipes... I need to stop. I would go so far as to say it still looks better than the newer 4-series version it was replaced with.
I personally like the 4er because of that wide ass.

However after having time with both the folding hardtop and a cloth top 1er, the useable trunk in the soft top is so much better.
      03-27-2019, 10:27 PM   #176
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
Well, my M235i Convertible soft-top replacement is chosen, and it's another soft-top:

Rolls-Royce Dawn. Just need to find another $300K for the auto fund ....
Lease the sucker.

It's a BMW owned company so you're golden.