Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB+ on G20 First Impressions

03-06-2020, 10:03 PM   #221
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlpacman805 View Post
Yes sir I'm running the JB4 on my G20 330i with the Bluetooth connectivity kit and mobile app. If you get it don't bother with the OBD2 connector because the dashboard menu isn't supported.

I'm close enough to Burger Tuning that I bought and picked it up the JB4 the same day. There was all kinds of cool cars in that parking lot like an i8, some AMG, and a Corvette.
Wait. So the OBD connector isn't needed for the jb4 to work? I thought the JB4 wouldn't work without it? I didn't know the obd connection was only for the dash menus. I've seen a video of the jb4 installed in an M340i and they installed the OBD connector too. Which was why I wasn't too keen on installing it through the firewall since I'm not very mechanically inclined.

With the jb4, how does the car feel below around 2-2.5k rpms? With the jb1, it feels like stock. After that, the boost kicks in and it feels noticeably faster.

For better support wrt jb4, https://www.n54tech.com/forums/ would probably be your best bet since I don't know anyone else here running a jb4 on the G20 yet.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #222
xlpacman805
CEO of Sunset Rally Group
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Wait. So the OBD connector isn't needed for the jb4 to work? I thought the JB4 wouldn't work without it? I didn't know the obd connection was only for the dash menus. I've seen a video of the jb4 installed in an M340i and they installed the OBD connector too. Which was why I wasn't too keen on installing it through the firewall since I'm not very mechanically inclined.

With the jb4, how does the car feel below around 2-2.5k rpms? With the jb1, it feels like stock. After that, the boost kicks in and it feels noticeably faster.

For better support wrt jb4, https://www.n54tech.com/forums/ would probably be your best bet since I don't know anyone else here running a jb4 on the G20 yet.
No it's not required. I thought it was before I learned it's just for the menus so I installed it for nothing lol. Map 1 is active on the JB4 by default.

Yeah low end rpm feel about the same. I think 1st and second gear are about the same as stock too. 3rd gear, 3K RPM and above is where things get awesome.

Are you in Ventura County looking for driving events? Follow @sunsetrallygroup - The ultimate experience for the auto enthusiast.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      03-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #223
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlpacman805 View Post
No it's not required. I thought it was before I learned it's just for the menus so I installed it for nothing lol. Map 1 is active on the JB4 by default.

Yeah low end rpm feel about the same. I think 1st and second gear are about the same as stock too. 3rd gear, 3K RPM and above is where things get awesome.
That's nice. I'm glad there's someone on here who finally is running a jb4 on a g20 330i and is active here. I'm trying to find used boxes since new ones are way too expensive with the Bluetooth kit. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 11:49 PM   #224
MedBlue0719
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
JB+

Well Gents. I just purchased my '19 330 Saturday it had 18k miles. I've only put 50 miles on her. I've been reading this thread and I have to jump right in with the JB+ and intake 😎. I read the other threads on the JB4 and BM3. It seems there were much more hiccups on the flash tunes. I'm working out of town for the next six days, so my new toys should be at my house by the time I get home. I will update when the install is done.
BTW I'm new to the sight. Lot's of good information here!!!
This is my 3rd BMW and by far the most fun yet!!
.... BURGER says if you want to upgrade to the JB4 they will take back your JB+ and credit 199.00 to the purchase of the JB4 as long as its with in 1yr. That sound like a pretty good deal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 12:11 AM   #225
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedBlue0719 View Post
Well Gents. I just purchased my '19 330 Saturday it had 18k miles. I've only put 50 miles on her. I've been reading this thread and I have to jump right in with the JB+ and intake 😎. I read the other threads on the JB4 and BM3. It seems there were much more hiccups on the flash tunes. I'm working out of town for the next six days, so my new toys should be at my house by the time I get home. I will update when the install is done.
.... BURGER says if you want to upgrade to the JB4 they will take back your JB+ and credit 199.00 to the purchase of the JB4 as long as its with in 1yr. That sound like a pretty good deal.
Congrats! Let us know if you notice any diffs.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:37 AM   #226
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does the B58 intake work with the B46?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #227
MedBlue0719
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Does the B58 intake work with the B46?
Thanks brother for bringing that to my attention!
I did not scroll all they eat down in Burger's description, where it doesn't fit the b48. I have already emailed them to try and stop the shipping of the CIA. 🤦🏼*♂️👍🏻😎
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #228
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks brother for bringing that to my attention!
I did not scroll all they eat down in Burger's description, where it doesn't fit the b48. I have already emailed them to try and stop the shipping of the CIA. 🤦🏼*♂️👍🏻😎
You're welcome. And if they do, you probably can return it?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #229
G2020VISION
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 m340ix

Garage List
2020 M340I X  [0.00]
Had to get on this thread since very little B58 jb+ stuff

Quote:
Did a few runs today under very similar conditions a few hours apart. First few runs were done with the JB+. Second set of runs were done a few hours later without the JB+ and after driving the car around for a bit in case it needed to adapt. The runs were done on the exact same road from the exact same starting point. The road has a noticeable upward incline and is not flat. Temperature was 45F for the JB+ run and 46F for the stock run. My car doesn't show a launch control symbol. Both runs were done by brake boosting to slightly over 3000 rpms. Car in sport plus. Transmission in S. DSC off. Only one person in the car (me). Full tank of 93RON fuel. Results from my OBD device below (surprisingly, it performed almost consistently during both sets of runs).

Before anyone decides to flame me for not using a dragy or official timing gear. Reason is I don't have any with me. That's why. A friend has a dragy and we compared my OBD device on his Audi A5 a few days back and found only a difference of 0.1-0.15s for the quarter mile on different runs (both dragy and my device running simultaneously). Irrespective, it's a before and after comparison for me and not official numbers.
Also, i have done some adaptations on the obdlink app to account for speedometer error. I might have overdone it. With the adaptations, when the car speedometer shows 65-66mph, the app shows 60mph. Before i did the adaptations, when the car showed 62-63mph, the app showed 60mph.

Below are the numbers in case anyone is interested.

TL;DR - The JB+ works. Without the jb+, the car is very linear. Zero turbo lag. With the jb+, car feels the same as stock till around 2000-2500rpms. But post that, it lifts up it's nose and takes off.
I put the jb+ on my g20 m340i and I agree with what you said even though I have the b58. Did it for shits n giggles .. but I agree even with b58 in comparison to the b48 no jb+ zero lag.... jb+ 2500rpm+ she does lift up her nose for sure lol. I like to crack the sunroof a little to hear that turbo spool and slight BOV noise. I've tried the jb+ at all settings. I left it at max the longest. Def loss in mpg who actually cares.. I feel it hurts a little from a dig (not as quick from a dead stop) but from a roll, it is a completely different animal..Where as stock from a dig it's smooth an linear but misses that midrange boost .. I feel from time to time with jb+trans misses with rough shifts,and some serious turbo lag stutters , from the added boost tricking shit into thinking higher altitudes. Aside from that highway pulls I look down and before I know it I am past 140+mph on jb+ to the max setting. It's definitely noticeable but power delivery for regular driving is definitely scattered.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #230
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2020VISION View Post
I put the jb+ on my g20 m340i and I agree with what you said even though I have the b58. Did it for shits n giggles .. but I agree even with b58 in comparison to the b48 no jb+ zero lag.... jb+ 2500rpm+ she does lift up her nose for sure lol. I like to crack the sunroof a little to hear that turbo spool and slight BOV noise. I've tried the jb+ at all settings. I left it at max the longest. Def loss in mpg who actually cares.. I feel it hurts a little from a dig (not as quick from a dead stop) but from a roll, it is a completely different animal..Where as stock from a dig it's smooth an linear but misses that midrange boost .. I feel from time to time with jb+trans misses with rough shifts,and some serious turbo lag stutters , from the added boost tricking shit into thinking higher altitudes. Aside from that highway pulls I look down and before I know it I am past 140+mph on jb+ to the max setting. It's definitely noticeable but power delivery for regular driving is definitely scattered.
I can’t even imagine how it’ll be in the B58! I regret not getting one instead of the 330i. But then, for a 4 pot, it isn’t bad at all so I console myself saying that

Btw, I’ve bought a JB4. I wonder how different it’ll be compared to the JB+.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 01:56 AM   #231
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I can’t even imagine how it’ll be in the B58! I regret not getting one instead of the 330i. But then, for a 4 pot, it isn’t bad at all so I console myself saying that

Yes plz let us know how the JB4 goes and difficulty of installing
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:18 AM   #232
G2020VISION
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 m340ix

Garage List
2020 M340I X  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Jb4 is a lot different, way more involving.. I used to tune all of my cars, just I don't have the time to do that anymore. And I like the new g20 330i. That's really the main reason why I went to the dealer back in December cause incentives were so great. Instead I coughed up another $130 a month on top of a fully trimmed 330i to go with the m340 and I don't regret it. I'm paying $569 a month lease. Costed me 3k total out the door. It does help I know some people at BMW North America. Car is equipped with drivers assist and premium package. I commute a lot on a daily basis and have other cars. I got the 340 back in December and I racked on 4,000 miles already so it's getting time to park it soon and drive one of my other cars. Long story short I don't want to ever get out of my m340ix it's such a nice place to be to start my day and end my day especially a stressful one. Only reason I tried out the jb+ was it costed me $100 and it is an experiment. Stock is linear no lag smooth as butter,jb+ ape shit after 2500rpm on full tilt. I appreciate you B48 guys for all the info since everyone is going crazy with the B58 with BM3 and mission performance, and of course jb4. Just these tunes store info in the DME, and will leave a trace behind, jb+ will not
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #233
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzag20 View Post
Yes plz let us know how the JB4 goes and difficulty of installing
I will. Btw, someone mentioned that the obd connector isn’t needed in our G20 since BMS hasn’t integrated functions on the speedometer cluster. If that is true, then it’s just one extra connector compared to the JB+. It’s arriving tomorrow and I can’t wait to try it out. Even though the difference will probably be negligible.

Quote:
Jb4 is a lot different, way more involving.. I used to tune all of my cars, just I don't have the time to do that anymore. And I like the new g20 330i. That's really the main reason why I went to the dealer back in December cause incentives were so great. Instead I coughed up another $130 a month on top of a fully trimmed 330i to go with the m340 and I don't regret it. I'm paying $569 a month lease. Costed me 3k total out the door. It does help I know some people at BMW North America. Car is equipped with drivers assist and premium package. I commute a lot on a daily basis and have other cars. I got the 340 back in December and I racked on 4,000 miles already so it's getting time to park it soon and drive one of my other cars. Long story short I don't want to ever get out of my m340ix it's such a nice place to be to start my day and end my day especially a stressful one. Only reason I tried out the jb+ was it costed me $100 and it is an experiment. Stock is linear no lag smooth as butter,jb+ ape shit after 2500rpm on full tilt. I appreciate you B48 guys for all the info since everyone is going crazy with the B58 with BM3 and mission performance, and of course jb4. Just these tunes store info in the DME, and will leave a trace behind, jb+ will not
I’m more of a fit it forget it kind of guy. I asked a few people running jb4 and they say map 2 is the best for 93 octane. I’ll probably be running that till the end. I have easy access to E85 and I wonder if I can run an E20-30 blend with the jb4 and no other mods. I used to run it in my A4 and it had absolutely no issues.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #234
sanch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Talking

Quote:
I will. Btw, someone mentioned that the obd connector isn’t needed in our G20 since BMS hasn’t integrated functions on the speedometer cluster. If that is true, then it’s just one extra connector compared to the JB+. It’s arriving tomorrow and I can’t wait to try it out. Even though the difference will probably be negligible.

I’m more of a fit it forget it kind of guy. I asked a few people running jb4 and they say map 2 is the best for 93 octane. I’ll probably be running that till the end. I have easy access to E85 and I wonder if I can run an E20-30 blend with the jb4 and no other mods. I used to run it in my A4 and it had absolutely no issues.
Looking forward to reading your first impressions of the jb4...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #235
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanch8 View Post
Looking forward to reading your first impressions of the jb4...
It arrives tomorrow. I’ll hopefully install it a few days after it arrives. I’ll definitely post my first impressions and compare it to the JB+.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #236
vatdim
Rep
Drives: E34 525i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lausc View Post
Unfortunately my experience is quite the contrary. I have installed the JB+ since I got the car and now that it has around 500km on the clock, I took it off for service. As soon as I uninstalled it, I noticed the car runs smoother and the jerkiness at low speed is gone. I am not sure about the power gain/ loss as mostly I do is city driving here in Hong Kong. Then maybe some loss but not sure if it’s just placebo. However the improvement in smoothness and responsiveness is definitely here. I’m wondering if the JB+ works differently on the 320i I got compared to the 330i?
Nobody seemed to chime in on this. Anyone else tried the JB or another mod on a 320i, or even on the new 318i? lausc, did you manage to get a better feel of the car with the JB+ after your post?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #237
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatdim View Post
Nobody seemed to chime in on this. Anyone else tried the JB or another mod on a 320i, or even on the new 318i? lausc, did you manage to get a better feel of the car with the JB+ after your post?
I did a google search for JB+ in a bmw 320i and did stumble across a few threads. But they were mostly positive.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:59 AM   #238
Tortelli
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330i M sport in Portimau

What kind of fuel are you guys using with the JB+ system?

Had an JB4 on my F30 320iA which worked fine but was pretty picky on the fuel i used. Run best on octane (RON) 102 (pretty good available in Germany, i live close to the border).

Now own a G231 330i since October and i'm still in doubt of doing a chiptune or JB+ mod....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #239
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortelli View Post

Had an JB4 on my F30 320iA which worked fine but was pretty picky on the fuel i used. Run best on octane (RON) 102 (pretty good available in Germany, i live close to the border).

Now own a G231 330i since October and i'm still in doubt of doing a chiptune or JB+ mod....
I use 93AKI fuel which I believe is 98RON?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #240
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortelli View Post

JB+ will keep you wanting more, and eventually you’re just gonna pull the trigger on the JB4 once you’re bored with the JB+. Go with JB4 or BM3 flash tune, and you’re going to be truly satisfied with what you paid for, the power increase coming from the JB4 or BM3 is a huge margin of improvement over stock, just the overall smoothness of how the car runs is enough to justify the $500 you spend on these options. JB+ is worth it but paying that little bit extra for JB4 is a much better option IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #241
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatt07 View Post
I second this. It would be awesome to see a video of the difference. I'm interested in the JB+ but its not worth it if there isnt a noticeable gain.
Its certainly noticeable.

If you want to give it a try, let me know. We offer 14 days money back guarantee with all Burger Tuning tunes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatt07 View Post
I second this. It would be awesome to see a video of the difference. I'm interested in the JB+ but its not worth it if there isnt a noticeable gain.
Its certainly noticeable.

If you want to give it a try, let me know. We offer 14 days money back guarantee with all Burger Tuning tunes.
I'm on your site about to buy JB+ y'all offer any promo codes? PM Me.
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:48 AM   #242
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Regarding reliability and everything and since I'm on a lease.
Have you guys with the JB+ and JB4 ever thought about switching your chargepipe because I've heard of many people w Jb+ and JB4 on their F gen cars switching their Chargepipe because they often can't take the extra boost?
Appreciate 0