Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
So many minds blown right now lol!!! certainly not the big grilles many people were doubling down on but it's still a spy shot in camo .... really hoping this is closer to the final design though. Fingers crossed...
Should I add you to the list?
list of folks believing the large grilles? No. I never have believed it but I wouldn't put money on anything at this point and we could still get some big *** grilles. Who knows !?

List of potential buyers if it doesn't look horrible (regardless of grille size)? Yes. You can add me to that list. Although I still may migrate to track weapon and tow vehicle instead of the jack of all trades ... time will tell!
My list is for the people who still assert that the new 4/M3/M4 will not have large controversial grills, and who suggest with confidence that the cars will have something reminiscent of a G20 front end.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #156
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

So is the car being shown off in a couple weeks the 4er concept, which will be like 95% of the production? I think the production Porsche Taycan is being unveiled there too. Anything else interesting incoming?

Like the F32 Concept

And production

Funny how that last 5% of concept-iness changed the car from classy looking to boring lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #157
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
So is the car being shown off in a couple weeks the 4er concept, which will be like 95% of the production? I think the production Porsche Taycan is being unveiled there too. Anything else interesting incoming?

Like the F32 Concept

And production

Funny how that last 5% of concept-iness changed the car from classy looking to boring lol.
LOL! Good find. It's funny when you look back at it eh?!? People loved the concept, but found issue with production car?!?!? It's ridiculous. People better get ready for this new 4.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 10:52 PM   #158
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LOL! Good find. It's funny when you look back at it eh?!? People loved the concept, but found issue with production car?!?!? It's ridiculous. People better get ready for this new 4.
I hope they don't water down the new one too much. If they go all out with the grilles I hope they just keep the crazy concept stuff for production. I'd hate to see a blah giant grille 4er. If you're gonna make it crazy, make it crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:01 PM   #159
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Actually, I've never seen that comparison before, but now I'm totally convinced that the last 5% makes all the difference. The top photo looks like an interesting design (not my cup of tea) but the bottom looks bland.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:03 PM   #160
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I hope they don't water down the new one too much. If they go all out with the grilles I hope they just keep the crazy concept stuff for production. I'd hate to see a blah giant grille 4er. If you're gonna make it crazy, make it crazy.
I think my issue now has gone from the grills to the new dash. I don't know how I feel about the Live Dash and overall design. I've been driving a G-Series 330i for 2 days while my ///M4 has the driveshaft recall repair performed. There's a lot to like about the car, and a lot to criticize as well. Knowing that this dash design will be in the new ///M is bothersome, but I'll wait and see what the ///M treatment looks like first before I start ranting.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:06 PM   #161
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think my issue now has gone from the grills to the new dash. I don't know how I feel about the Live Dash and overall design. I've been driving a G-Series 330i for 2 days while my ///M4 has the driveshaft recall repair performed. There's a lot to like about the car, and a lot to criticize as well. Knowing that this dash design will be in the new ///M is bothersome, but I'll wait and see what the ///M treatment looks like first before I start ranting.
Yeah I just got an X3 M40i and now I'm thankful I got a 2019 before the 2020s come in with the new gauges. I think it was necessary for BMW to do because if they didn't they'd be wayyyyy behind Mercedes and especially Audi. Well they already are, but better late than never.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      08-30-2019, 11:09 PM   #162
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I just got an X3 M40i and now I'm thankful I got a 2019 before the 2020s come in with the new gauges. I think it was necessary for BMW to do because if they didn't they'd be wayyyyy behind Mercedes and especially Audi. Well they already are, but better late than never.
Really? So your issue is with Alpine White, because the paint and the fog lights are really the only differences (...and a very slightly altered mirror shape). Oh, and they gave the concept a drop. Honestly, they both look equally bland to me. There isn't much difference between a D titty and a DD titty.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:10 PM   #163
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a good point, but damn.....they could've done a better job.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:17 PM   #164
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Really? So your issue is with Alpine White, because the paint and the fog lights are really the only differences (...and a very slightly altered mirror shape). Oh, and they gave the concept a drop. Honestly, they both look equally bland to me. There isn't much difference between a D titty and a DD titty.
Yeah I think concept has a much sharper front end, and the circular fog lights of the production model make a blobby front end look even blobbier. Concept looks more sharp/crisp, production looks more soft/round. I think they could have kept that same sharpness and sculpting and just left out some of the flashier concept chrome trim. Either way, the F30/32 already look dated to me so I'm glad BMW is going with something extreme, even if it crashes and burns.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:19 PM   #165
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think my issue now has gone from the grills to the new dash. I don't know how I feel about the Live Dash and overall design.
The Cockpit Live doesn't look that bad, it being digital now means the design possibilities are endless.

Like you said, just wait until M division gives it the Midas touch

#CantWait
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #166
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The Cockpit Live doesn't look that bad, it being digital now means the design possibilities are endless.

#CantWait
Porsche has gotten the transition right. A big fat round analogue looking tachometer in the center make all the difference and make you forgive any other weirdness and accept to adapt to it’s possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:43 PM   #167
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think my issue now has gone from the grills to the new dash. I don't know how I feel about the Live Dash and overall design.

#CantWait
I much prefer the part analog, part digital display like that of the newer ///M2. Even something like the ///M5's dash would be more appealing to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:13 AM   #168
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I didn't want have to post these photos I've seen. But it's gotten to this point now of just cheer bad design!

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Ilikemike250.50
clee1982797.50
      08-31-2019, 12:38 AM   #169
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Hopefully "pure" doesn't mean you have less power, no tech options, etc. I really would like manual and selectable AWD with full power ...
I am fine with less power, less tech, and less weight, from a stripped down RWD/6MT sedan. I do think BMW should offer 6MT on an AWD model, but I highly doubt it would be the pure model, we shall see.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      08-31-2019, 02:48 AM   #170
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:

#CantWait
What the hell is that digital dash above? Is that the display in the new G series cars?

I actually think it’s terrible, and why is the damn rev counter going in reverse?

Another issue is, and this applies to all new cars with this tech, what’s it gonna look like in 10 years time? Outdated and stupid. Nothing moves faster than tech, just look at a nav screen from an e46 for example.

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:25 AM   #171
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
Quote:

#CantWait
What the hell is that digital dash above? Is that the display in the new G series cars?

I actually think it's terrible, and why is the damn rev counter going in reverse?

Another issue is, and this applies to all new cars with this tech, what's it gonna look like in 10 years time? Outdated and stupid. Nothing moves faster than tech, just look at a nav screen from an e46 for example.
It's a 2019 330i with iDrive 7.. The features are pretty cool and the digital dash is kind of a throwback to my old S2000 cluster, even though BMW decoded the digital speedometer display on US-spec vehicles (distractions).

There are limitless customization options within the menu. And yes, the tach is counterclockwise but it's not as jarring as it might appear, you get over it in a couple of blocks.

I'm a tech-head, so naturally I was blown away by the stock remote start, adaptive cruise and BMW Digital Key. I look forward to the next generation M car, as BMW tries to keep up with the competition.

The cluster will probably be obsolete when OLED or MicroLEDs screens becomes complacent but at the moment, I kind of like what I see but I understand those that prefer the orange, retro BMW look and are resistant to change.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:15 AM   #172
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Forget the kidney grills. Look at that front wheel gap! Clearly they forgot it's not an X model. Off-road anyone?
We can't! We are suffering from FGDS. (Front Grille Derangement Syndrome)

Last edited by J-RO; 08-31-2019 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #173
KINY3RA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '93 e36 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Your friend is correct.
This, is EXCITING!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:03 PM   #174
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

Like the F32 Concept

And production

Well the thing to remember is the concept car had the m rear haunches and closer to M front fender vents and width... so we might be lucky on this upcoming 4 concept and get some M3/M4 styling cues.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #175
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So many minds blown right now lol!!! certainly not the big grilles many people were doubling down on but it's still a spy shot in camo .... really hoping this is closer to the final design though. Fingers crossed...
Should I add you to the list?
list of folks believing the large grilles? No. I never have believed it but I wouldn't put money on anything at this point and we could still get some big *** grilles. Who knows !?

List of potential buyers if it doesn't look horrible (regardless of grille size)? Yes. You can add me to that list. Although I still may migrate to track weapon and tow vehicle instead of the jack of all trades ... time will tell!
My list is for the people who still assert that the new 4/M3/M4 will not have large controversial grills, and who suggest with confidence that the cars will have something reminiscent of a G20 front end.
i definitely lean toward conservative ... just not buying all the "well so and so didn't dispute these ridiculous renderings based on blurry photos of the car in full camo" haha. we shall see! I don't claim to know the answer but am against people who "know for certain" what it'll look like.

Still hopeful it looks good, large or small.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #176
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:
Hopefully "pure" doesn't mean you have less power, no tech options, etc. I really would like manual and selectable AWD with full power ...
I am fine with less power, less tech, and less weight, from a stripped down RWD/6MT sedan. I do think BMW should offer 6MT on an AWD model, but I highly doubt it would be the pure model, we shall see.
thing is ... the power is basically a tune so why lower it? That's annoying to me.

I think a stripper version (RWD, manual trans, manual seats!?, nice cloth seats, etc) should def be an option. I had a stripper '16 M3 I loved but if I had a little extra weight low down for option of AWD to have better all weather use (street or track), better launches (my 5 & 6yo love when I do "launch mode") etc I'd be all over it.

I think you should just be able to order the car a la carte. Pick your trans, pick M-AWD or RWD and then all the other stuff. All cars should be full 510hp or whatever they go with. Why is this so hard?

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread