Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Kick down question.

03-16-2020, 04:34 AM   #1
Vogal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M

Kick down question.

So, my car arrived last week (330e).

This question came to my mind. If I'm using electric power only, and I need some extra power (or extra boost) for a tight situation , this will not damage the engine, since it's cold and started immediately to rev? Is there any kind of software protection to not damage the engine?
If someone can use just electric power, will the car start ice from time to time to keep things sharp?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
Vogal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M

No-one knows nothing about it?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
In the manual it mentions not to use xTraboost until run in of engine. Launch control has some conditions, one is temperature. I didn't look in detail but maybe engine temperature is considered...
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 04:18 AM   #4
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogal View Post

This question came to my mind. If I'm using electric power only, and I need some extra power (or extra boost) for a tight situation , this will not damage the engine, since it's cold and started immediately to rev? Is there any kind of software protection to not damage the engine?
If someone can use just electric power, will the car start ice from time to time to keep things sharp?

Thanks in advance
It doesn't give full power when the engine is cold even with full kickdown.

Also if you're in Xtraboost mode you can show the engine temperature on the instrument cluster - Full power isn't available until the temperature reaches the 'sweet spot' indicated by the white lines.

If you try to floor it and it's cold it'll feel really restricted.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogal View Post

Thanks in advance
It doesn't give full power when the engine is cold even with full kickdown.

Also if you're in Xtraboost mode you can show the engine temperature on the instrument cluster - Full power isn't available until the temperature reaches the 'sweet spot' indicated by the white lines.

If you try to floor it and it's cold it'll feel really restricted.
I've had various experiences, including virtually no power at all when in electric or hybrid mode doing kick down. Worrying since you kind of expect "some" acceleration... Not sure it's always to do with the engine being warm. Seems to be "computer says no" at times...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
I've had various experiences, including virtually no power at all when in electric or hybrid mode doing kick down. Worrying since you kind of expect "some" acceleration... Not sure it's always to do with the engine being warm. Seems to be "computer says no" at times...
I suspect it may be influenced by driver adaptation. Can happen with any current ZF auto, may need 'waking up' if you've been driving in a relaxed way ahead of wanting decent acceleration.

One way to experiment, to see if it is driver influenced adaptation, is flick the shifter to M/S and back, break the adaptation, before the kickdown. Just remember if you leave it in M/S position, a quick throttle kickdown can be quite brutal, if it does a block change.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
I've had exactly the same experiences, driving in hybrid then switching the gear to M/S and flooring it only for the car to have no beans at all.

And the only common factor was that the engine hadn't been running at all up until that point.

It's not happened again in my limited tests by driving using the ICE in sport waiting for the temperature gauge to reach optimal, then switching back to Hybrid and repeating the kickdown process with the gear lever centre and then in M/S.

Since following the above it's always had the beans I've needed but it could be a coincidence I guess?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:53 AM   #8
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I notice sometimes when I have been driving in purely electric and have a need to gun it the gearbox seems to not change up and struggles to wake up. I ease off the accelerator and go again and it happily changes gears and the power is there. Must be a cold start issue?
Appreciate 0