Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Software Update

02-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #133
Jtcrow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Because initially they didn’t want to do an update for him then under pressure said that they would do it as a “Complimentary gesture” adding they’ll charge BMW for it.
My dealer had no qualms doing my update and no mention of a cost to dealer.
I just think it’s a shabby attitude to a customer whose invested in their brand/dealership and the car is under warranty.
Maybe I have higher expectations but as I said, my dealer was faultless.
Sorry Vossy, maybe I wasnt clear enough - I just said that I was ready for a fight if they pushed back, but they didn't, they told me it was part of the warranty(when I asked) and the cost would be recouped through the group. Guy I spoke to was very friendly and happy to assist - can't fault them. They didn't need to tell me where they would be covering to costs from, but he just told me - I'm not bothered as it isn't me!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #134
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Because initially they didn’t want to do an update for him then under pressure said that they would do it as a “Complimentary gesture” adding they’ll charge BMW for it.
My dealer had no qualms doing my update and no mention of a cost to dealer.
I just think it’s a shabby attitude to a customer whose invested in their brand/dealership and the car is under warranty.
Maybe I have higher expectations but as I said, my dealer was faultless.
I see. Yeah, if they make it sound like they're doing somebody a favour when it should be a bare minimum level of service, then I'd be annoyed too.

But as it happens it looks like they were cooperative.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #135
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
No fix for my odometer problem so far. Was told I need to await input from BMW themselves as the dealership had never seen anything like it.
Was also told I'll need two new rear tires in the very near future so I think I'll jump from RFT's to normal ones, probably PS4's.
Ok so it seems that my odometer problems caused by the dealership I bought it from borking an update last August & according to BMW there is no fix in sight. Dealer I sent car to never updated the car either
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:12 AM   #136
Jtcrow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtcrow View Post
Booked in at the weekend for complimentary software update. Will report back.
So had my 'complimentary' software update (and a gratis car wash) on saturday - software was updated to 11/2019.55 and I now have native Spotify - success!

Any other additions/changes worth noting? I dont see any release notes anywhere...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:19 AM   #137
Praeter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BWM 3 (G20)

My car was called in because of a factory problem with the exhaust. (paint)
They updated my car to 03/2020.24.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #138
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praeter View Post
My car was called in because of a factory problem with the exhaust. (paint)
They updated my car to 03/2020.24.
Do you notice any changes?
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #139
Quietlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Garage List
2019 BMW G20  [0.00]
As noted in another thread. My software was updated ro 03/2020 today and it’s removed ALL my apps and I still haven’t got Spotify. Utter shambles.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #140
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietlife View Post
As noted in another thread. My software was updated ro 03/2020 today and it’s removed ALL my apps and I still haven’t got Spotify. Utter shambles.
Nothing good then!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #141
Praeter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BWM 3 (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Do you notice any changes?
Yeah,
all my apps are gone!
Waiting on an answer from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #142
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

Just got back from the dealer after my M340i which I collected yesterday had no ConnectedDrive on it anywhere.

Been told that their techs need to request a 'patch' from BMW and I've got to take it back to the workshop to be updated :-( bit annoyed!

Also while I was there they said there was a ConnectedDrive server failure so just FYI that may be why you've got issues such as apps that are gone etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #143
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepointalex View Post
Just got back from the dealer after my M340i which I collected yesterday had no ConnectedDrive on it anywhere.

Been told that their techs need to request a 'patch' from BMW and I've got to take it back to the workshop to be updated :-( bit annoyed!

Also while I was there they said there was a ConnectedDrive server failure so just FYI that may be why you've got issues such as apps that are gone etc...
Sadly I think that on occasion dealer reps seem to make things up as they go along when it comes to ConnectedDrive.
I’ve been reading these boards since taking delivery of my 330e in November and I’ve come to the conclusion that we know more about BMW’s issues than they do.
330e has a page of Efficiency stats on the Portal that has shown blank readings from day 1 on my car. That’s at least 5 months of non functionality without any notification of when or if this data will be available. Mention this at your dealer and you’re met with at best a sigh and a shrug or they’re unaware of any issues. Try asking about OTA software updates next time you’re in.Very shabby.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #144
Quietlife
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW G20  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praeter View Post
Yeah,
all my apps are gone!
Waiting on an answer from BMW.
You too. Mines going back in two weeks. I’m not feeling confident
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:36 AM   #145
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Quote:
Sadly I think that on occasion dealer reps seem to make things up as they go along when it comes to ConnectedDrive.
I’ve been reading these boards since taking delivery of my 330e in November and I’ve come to the conclusion that we know more about BMW’s issues than they do.
330e has a page of Efficiency stats on the Portal that has shown blank readings from day 1 on my car. That’s at least 5 months of non functionality without any notification of when or if this data will be available. Mention this at your dealer and you’re met with at best a sigh and a shrug or they’re unaware of any issues. Try asking about OTA software updates next time you’re in.Very shabby.
OK I understand that the entire page of efficiency stats are to be removed as they don't work, my dealer has managed to drag out of BMW UK.
Office 365 is to be pulled end of April 2020 - also dragged from them - and no alternative announced or suggested.
Oh and for those interested Alexa - who knows when. Connecteddrive UK told me "It was pulled but its back now" Rubbish. It is not available for any vehicle in the UK. Also dragged from them.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:03 AM   #146
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Do you guys have the Caring Car programs/apps?
Despite updates mine still does not show them up?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #147
3george
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2021 F40 128ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeewiff03 View Post
Do you guys have the Caring Car programs/apps?
Despite updates mine still does not show them up?
have you tried a refresh of the apps by pressing option then update apps in both stored and installed apps.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #148
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

I had an issue with no Connected Drive apps when I first picked my car up. Took it to a Genius who couldn't find the reason why, so had it booked in to be hooked up to the life support system for diagnostics.

Turns out that under Data Privacy, mine was set to Initially Activated Services (or maybe No Services - can't remember), and by switching to All Services and agreeing to their Ts and Cs, all the apps reappeared.

Maybe after an update this needs to be initiated again (?).

May help, may not; but thought it was worth sharing in case...

Name:  IMG_20200307_112900291.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  183.0 KB
      03-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #149
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well mine is booked in for Friday 20th next week so will ask them about the OTA updates.

Plus side is I managed to book out an M4 for the day!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #150
Quietlife
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW G20  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
I had an issue with no Connected Drive apps when I first picked my car up. Took it to a Genius who couldn't find the reason why, so had it booked in to be hooked up to the life support system for diagnostics.

Turns out that under Data Privacy, mine was set to Initially Activated Services (or maybe No Services - can't remember), and by switching to All Services and agreeing to their Ts and Cs, all the apps reappeared.

Maybe after an update this needs to be initiated again (?).

May help, may not; but thought it was worth sharing in case...

Attachment 2258017
Since mine was updated the Data Privacy option has disappeared completely
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #151
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

So what’s the point of the Remote software upgrade function then - clearly doesn’t work
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #152
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
So what's the point of the Remote software upgrade function then - clearly doesn't work
Because as a buyer you think "gosh, that is great - BMW really has their tech, design, & performance sorted!"

Then ownership meets reality - this is on such a low priority it is likely non-existent. The truth is they barely hold on to service continuity with remote commands alone. The most consistent excuse is Azure problems (that is if the, "oh did you get an iOS update?" excuse isn't used - yes, every month, they have a beta program, that is not a reason for service outage) which are not actually Azure "problems" at all. How many companies run off Azure IaaS services today? Well, most everyone in the top 2,000. That would not be the case if Microsoft constantly created service outage issues would it? No, it would not.

I do not believe this is an app thing, it's a simple authenticated connection to backend and passing of even simpler command. You can use the app on all sorts of platforms and I've run the gambit during an outage - they all don't work. I believe it is due to a minimal implementation of backend - once you get out of queue as an active user, things get bad. This is capacity 101, not an "Azure issue." Azure is expensive when used at an enterprise Infrastucture level, really expensive, but when driving a huge element of revenue, it gets money. Sadly, we are using a packaged in service that rarely gets reactivated after initial purchase packaged timeline runs out. BMW has to keep it around to compete in the market. But to be clear it is a parasite of new vehicle sale revenue not the other way around so likely and politically internally looked at as a leech of reported revenue accomplishment.

Likely this is cost vs risk - more Azure resources in more of Microsoft's data centers providing geo coverage in addition to more OTA bandwidth is really expensive. On top of that there is a combination of handling encryption and continuity with OTA data services (can't remember if this is ATT or not). Placing the type of cost and horsepower behind a large data package being sent on an on-demand basis like a software update would cripple an already hindered infrastructure and cost-restrictive bandwidth allocation. This is why it has been made available in UK in spots (smaller than Texas.)

In short, it is not worth the increased operating cost as it does not seem to have any impact on sales. I agree also, I'm convinced it doesn't.

Sad part is, they are right to a degree, I am picking up my third concurrent BMW (X5 delivered this week from Spartanburg and my 9th overall) today. I just switched my wife back from Land Rover as it is even worse with them and BMW has better options.

Now, do I tell everyone who asks about BMW of the failing tech? Sure do, but I don't know if it matters in the grand scheme. There are car companies who get tech really right, but they are also not something I would want to drive in the first place. Tech aside I don't think I would drive anything else (unless I get into super car territory, by that I mean I will be in BMWs for life ).

I will say it would be easy to simply code to have data services trigger a hiding of the upgrade option in the iDrive UI until available. This would be smart as this just generates a ton of bad impressions. But then we don't get the 50%+ customers having that wow experience I described above. Even worse is the damaged credibility when you call into the Connected (so much irony in that name, aye?) service line and get a different reason for outage on each call (I have, between three calls I kept getting entirely different root causes.)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #153
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Realised I posted this in the 'Software Version' thread and not this one -

Well I had my 340i back at Sytner last Friday for them to try and fix the lack of ConnectedDrive.

Sad to report they spent all day on it and couldn’t fix it. They’ve had to call the factory to get support and are waiting to hear back.

Interestingly, another customer went in, had his software updated and now his car has the same issue as mine.

Sadly I've just been informed that Sytner Nottingham is now closing their showroom to the public due to the current climate (makes sense and was inevitable)….and only existing service bookings will be honoured and no new ones can be made.

I've just read about the 'data privacy' settings above so will look for those, I doubt it will fix it/if I can even find them or you would have thought the techs would have done that.

Looks like my ConnectedDrive will be broken until COVID-19 has gone, that could be a LONG time away :-(.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #154
Quietlife
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW G20  [0.00]
Try doing a factory reset. Worked for me
Appreciate 0