Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions I drove a 330i loaner for two weeks - Here's what I think about it

08-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #23
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
No, it's not for safety reason; they seem to have a new technology or manufacture that now has a noticeable boarder. I noticed that it's way more aggressive in dimming, than the F-series mirrors.
It makes sense for safety: You might not notice a car with high beams behind, if the whole mirror is blacked out. With the border excluded, you would notice the car with the high beams as the border will shine, but when you look at your mirror you can still see it in the dark area.
Well, I can't prove otherwise but personally don't find the natural boarder very useful :
This!

Also, the mirrors aren't so dim that I can't see what's going on. Comments like that remind me of the thread started by the member who complained about not being able to see the right-side curb from the driver's seat.

P.S. Not having a CD slot sucks too. I'm one of those guys who still listens to CD's (...or at least rips them into the internal hard drive).
You make me sound like such a noob that have no idea how auto-dimmers works. I'm on my 4th BMW with this feature; I was speaking from experience, with myself and other who have driven my vehicles and commented on the lack of visibility.

Yes, for the most part, at night, you can still see most objects from the side mirror; It's not obvious how aggressive it dims, unless you have a car with its bright headlights right behind you. It's not the end of the world, I just brush it off as one of those compromises but I was merely pointing that this might be the reason all manufactures have eliminated dimming from the passenger side mirror, on all North American-bound vehicles.

Inferring how they dropped it from even their most top-tier vehicle's, I assumed it was for visibility reasons and liability but that's just an assumption. If you have a better reason, shoot.

Also, enjoy your CDs while you still can; my stepdad purchased a new Acura RDX recently and almost cried that it didn't have a CD player to blast his Streisand albums anymore.. Until I introduced him to a music steaming APP.

It sometimes takes only one incident before someone change the rules or begin erring on the side of safety, for instance:

https://www.kidsandcars.org/2018/05/...-in-every-car/
Omg that story is my absolute nightmare.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #24
henryd31
Rep
Drives: 2016 320 Sport

Also just got the new 330 xdrive model as a loaner. Car is pretty much brand new, with 700 miles on it. I have exact same car with pretty much same options but 2018 vs this 2019 model.
I like the body style, always liked the 3s so can't complain much however must say from a bit farther away the car does not stand out much, especially the rear kind of blends itself out..also, the front silver grill while nice, if I wanted to black out the car not sure how that would turn out.. interior had too many buttons, plus the ones in center by the shifter are one large board with button like indents rather than separate buttons, kind if cheesey...the shifter itself seems like a downgrade as well, too small, kind of removes enjoyment of putting it in sport mode...I actually did not mind the digital displays, I thought I'd prefer analog ones but I was ok with the new one...the car seems to drive a little better than my 2018, the engine being more powerful i think improves the experience...also, I assume it's the new tires but could also be suspension but drive is smoother, no longer do I feel like every bump tears thru the suspension on the runflats, so quite happy there...on the negative the car still has some floating tendencies, not as sharp while driving it, not as planted to the road...
overall I'd say it's an improvement, and for my daily commute great car, but not a return to what people expect from these cars, these are now too big and floaty, I guess 2 series are what these used to be. this is more of executive car now, if you option it with expensive extras for such.
Appreciate 0