Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Back-up assistant freak-out

08-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Back-up assistant freak-out

Anyone have this happen? While backing out of the garage with nothing behind me, the back up warning system went crazy. I was going very slow. The system slammed on the brakes even though I was not that close to hitting anything. Perhaps I should turn down the sensitivity but it hadn't done this before. The car is only two weeks old. I realize all this new tech takes getting used to and is sometimes glitchy.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Anyone have this happen? While backing out of the garage with nothing behind me, the back up warning system went crazy. I was going very slow. The system slammed on the brakes even though I was not that close to hitting anything. Perhaps I should turn down the sensitivity but it hadn't done this before. The car is only two weeks old. I realize all this new tech takes getting used to and is sometimes glitchy.
I had the same problem. I know you said you were going very slow, but try going even slower. Another option: I haven't tried this, but I read if you press the intelligent safety button for a few seconds, it will deactivate the system... then you can reactivate after you get out of your parking spot. I would not go adjust the sensitivity settings to accommodate my parking spot to result in jeopardizing my safety on the roads. Just my opinion of course.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      08-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Same here to the point it wouldn’t let me out of the garage no matter what I tried so I just turned off the back up part. It still beeps which is good enough for parking.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      08-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Same here to the point it wouldn't let me out of the garage no matter what I tried so I just turned off the back up part. It still beeps which is good enough for parking.
Wait.....!!! Wouldn't let you out? Does the system take control of the car or something?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Same here to the point it wouldn't let me out of the garage no matter what I tried so I just turned off the back up part. It still beeps which is good enough for parking.
Wait.....!!! Wouldn't let you out? Does the system take control of the car or something?
it applies the brakes.
      08-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
Quote:
Quote:
it applies the brakes.
Thanks! That's crazy intrusive. I'll pass on that option.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Possible that backup camera sees something on the ground like a leaf moving and it thinks it’s an obstacle? That’s pretty crazy don’t think I will like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Happens to me every once in a while as well. Scares the living shit out of me every time!!

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      08-30-2019, 09:24 PM   #9
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep

Not all that crazy of a concert but I guess they never considered a garage. What’s crazy is that it let me out of the exact same garage 9 out of 10 times.

Same sort of “don’t run into things” system is on the front as well but never had an issue with it, even pulling into the same garage it sometimes wouldn’t let me back out of.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      08-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Not all that crazy of a concert but I guess they never considered a garage. What's crazy is that it let me out of the exact same garage 9 out of 10 times.

Same sort of "don't run into things" system is on the front as well but never had an issue with it, even pulling into the same garage it sometimes wouldn't let me back out of.
Doesn't that annoy the crap out of you?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:22 AM   #11
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

That type of software, along with the lane change feature are the first things I'd turn off. As someone said, the beeping is annoying enough, but I suppose it could be helpful in some situations, applying the brakes and taking control of steering is unacceptable, and in my opinion can be distracting and dangerous in some circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:42 AM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
That type of software, along with the lane change feature are the first things I'd turn off. As some one said, the beeping is annoying enough, but I suppose it could be helpful in some situations, app,hung brakes and taking control of steering is unacceptable, and in my opinion can be distracting and dangerous in some circumstances.
Totally agree!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #13
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
Quote:
Quote:
it applies the brakes.
Yes it wouldn't let me out of the garage. Had to deactivate it temporarily to get out . Was kinda crazy. Except for that one time it works great. Also working on another issue with connect app and driver profile. The car dumped my profile and won't let me log back in. Spoke to genius on phone , car needs a software update and possibly it will start working on it own. Very annoying. The tech is very good but too many bugs for an expensive car
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
That type of software, along with the lane change feature are the first things I'd turn off. As someone said, the beeping is annoying enough, but I suppose it could be helpful in some situations, applying the brakes and taking control of steering is unacceptable, and in my opinion can be distracting and dangerous in some circumstances.
I agree. I turned this off immediatelly after delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:55 AM   #15
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't that annoy the crap out of you?
I have a very long list of things that annoy the crap out of me but this one hasn't made the list. Sure, I wish it worded better but since I had the ability to turn it off and have it back up like every other car I've owned I'm good.

When we have software updates and IF I see that it was fixed than I'll maybe give it another try. Otherwise, no real biggie. Never had this feature on any other car so I think I'll manage.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00